Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

2012 Lancer ES Rear Sway Bar/Lower Control Arm Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 Lancer ES Rear Sway Bar/Lower Control Arm Question

I have a 2012 Lancer ES. I know, not that fast.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...d-1a61f90bdaf5

since there is no mounts on the lower control arm of the ES for sway bar end links, Can i swap then for the GT, not sure if the ES has the perch mounts for the Sway bar

thoughts?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good question.
I drive a 2011 Lancer ES.
I'm looking at the whiteline or Megan anti sway bars from Road Race Motorsports, but so far my searches have only revealed unanswered questions.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 09:39 AM

I figured it out. The 2012 ES rear lower control arms lack the mounting points for the Sway bar end links. So I bought a pair(they are relatively cheap, like 70 for the pair) that were designed for the GT(same size and fitment but have the mounting points.

I am not sure how the 2011 model was built, but the 2012 ES lacked that critical component. So now I am doing things in this order

1. Replacing rear lower control arms that have mounting points for sway bar end links
2. Ordered bolts from Mitisbushi for the Sway Bar bushing clip mounting points.
3. add a rear sway bar and end links.

to bad it was not just a bolt on job but such is life. I have the arms now and the end links as well as the bolts for mounting the sway bar bushing clips. Now i just need to figure out which bar. Progress makes an adjustable one, I might try that out.

http://www.autocityimports.com//2008...ar-p-8008.html
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:24 PM

I just bought today at a good price this for my Lancer 2012 ES

https://www.lancershop.com/customer/...age=1&q=BMK010

Dan helped me from Lancer Shop and I also got this for the front since I dropped the car on Tein Coilovers

https://www.lancershop.com/customer/...&cat=159&page=
Old Oct 11, 2017, 04:34 PM

Post some shots after the install.

I had to put my build off while I pick up the tools I need
Old Oct 12, 2017, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by gordonctrl
Post some shots after the install.

I had to put my build off while I pick up the tools I need
Will do, I wont be able to get to it until next weekend but definitely will post some pics.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 08:44 AM

Install

1. Get the Car up on Jackstands

2. Realize that having a car in the Rust belt sucks

3. The ES has the mount points for the sway bar bushings. the stock rear lower control are is missing the end link mount point so time to replace

4. Rear lower control arm going in. These are a pain and would be easier with lift or a second set of hands

5. Note the Sway bar end links. Moog. They came off the car in about an hour when i snapped the bolt off tightening it to torque specs...

6. Whiteline adjustable end links...so much better. Was lucky the local Napa had these in stock or i would have been waiting for a few days. The jack is there for preload.

7. At this point you want to punch the engineer in the face who decided to run the exhaust up and over the control arm on the passenger side

8. sand/rust Reform/Repaint the rust belt grod away

So There you go. A 2012 Lancer ES that once had no rear sway bar with a sway bar installed. I took the car for a 30 minute drive and came back and made some end link adjustments. It has changed the car completely. It is a firmer ride and no longer feels as if it is listing like a drunken sailor in corners. This is my daily, I am not going to push it so I am not worried about crazy oversteering issues. So far it just feels like my friends GT. I am happy. I would suggest having a second set of hands and going with the Adjustable end links. The standard ones have that allen key in the middle to stop it twisting on torque down. That is a super weak point and they tend to strip out. Mine broke off on adjustment.

Last edited by gordonctrl; Oct 8, 2018 at 08:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gordonctrl:
babybone94 (Mar 21, 2022), michael2014 (Aug 20, 2022)
Old Mar 21, 2022, 04:11 PM

Brackets/bolts?

Hey, your rear suspension project came out very clean. I have a 2017 mitsubishi lancer ES and just ordered a whiteline swaybar kit. I ended up running into the same problem and figured out the same solution. Just ordered my lower control arms. The only part I’m stuck on are the bolts & brackets...

I ordered mine from Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse . Com

bolt: part#MF241252
bracket: part#MR403646.

Where did you buy both the brackets and bolts from? Thanks for your time! 😁
Old Aug 19, 2022, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by gordonctrl

1. Get the Car up on Jackstands

2. Realize that having a car in the Rust belt sucks

3. The ES has the mount points for the sway bar bushings. the stock rear lower control are is missing the end link mount point so time to replace

4. Rear lower control arm going in. These are a pain and would be easier with lift or a second set of hands

5. Note the Sway bar end links. Moog. They came off the car in about an hour when i snapped the bolt off tightening it to torque specs...

6. Whiteline adjustable end links...so much better. Was lucky the local Napa had these in stock or i would have been waiting for a few days. The jack is there for preload.

7. At this point you want to punch the engineer in the face who decided to run the exhaust up and over the control arm on the passenger side

8. sand/rust Reform/Repaint the rust belt grod away

So There you go. A 2012 Lancer ES that once had no rear sway bar with a sway bar installed. I took the car for a 30 minute drive and came back and made some end link adjustments. It has changed the car completely. It is a firmer ride and no longer feels as if it is listing like a drunken sailor in corners. This is my daily, I am not going to push it so I am not worried about crazy oversteering issues. So far it just feels like my friends GT. I am happy. I would suggest having a second set of hands and going with the Adjustable end links. The standard ones have that allen key in the middle to stop it twisting on torque down. That is a super weak point and they tend to strip out. Mine broke off on adjustment.

Hey im just wondering cuz i wanted to install the whiteline kit too...except from the rear lower control arms mounting points are there any others?