Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

My handling mods so far....

Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
My handling mods so far....

Just thought I would share my experience with my MY13 VRX Lancer.
This comes out with all the GTS suspension, tyres, rims and same lousy handling!
After ramping up the power output of the 4B12 engine, the handling got downright dangerous with torque steer shifting from side to side and tram-lining under acceleration. I thought to myself...I have seen this before and it was caused by changing rims to less positive offset ones. This affects the scrub radius. Too much positive scrub radius on a front wheel drive car is a bad thing and causes exactly the behavior our cars exhibit in stock form.
Now the next bit might seem horrifying for those obsessed with cosmetic rather than functional changes....stop reading now if you don't like looking at gap.
My requirement for the car is for it to be a good tow vehicle so I needed a little bit of extra height in the back - easy fixed by making up 10mm spacers to go under the top strut mounting (10mm is about max before you run out of thread). This gives around 12mm lift - job done

12mm rear lift + tires give another 6mm

Next problem is those 45 series tires that give a harsh and noisy ride and don't turn too well in the wet. Easy fixed by finding some donor 17" alloys off a Mazda CX5. Add some 225/50R17 tires and gain a little more lift along the way - it all adds up.

These are a generously 235 wide although labelled as 225.
Fit nicely with no rubbing anywhere.

Now a side benefit of this is the Mazda rims are +50 offset (stock mitsi is 46mm) so wider tires fit under the guards (no rubbing problems on the inside either) and ... it fixes the scrub radius problem - now it is a totally different and much better car to drive. Note also that setting the rims further in has the effect of hardening the spring rate, setting the wheels further out softens the spring rate so there is a hidden little bonus benefit for those that are paying attention.
Last job - to de-Mazdify those center caps

Improved Mazda centers - much faster!

Final words....

If you find yourself some +50 offset rims with 67.1mm centrebore, either in 18" or 17" depending on your ride preference, you will be able to fit 235 tires under the guards with no need to do anything else.
Handling will be improved through a better scrub radius for this car (street use applications)