Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Brake pedal sinks to floor

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pedal sinks to floor

quite desperate of help.
About 3 weeks ago I opened my calipers to do a rebuild and paint job. I pinned my brake lines but stupidly forgot one. However the rebuild went well, new pistons and seals all the with same fitment as oem was fitted. Later one week after the rebuild I come to a car with a dried out brake reservoir...
Ive bleed the system twice (5 hours job) and the pedal came a bit harder but its still low and sinks to floor when car is turned on. Even a mecanic used vaccum bleeding with the same result. I even ordered a new brake master cylinder and the problem still remains...
Explaining detalied the brake feeling.. when the car is turned off pumping the pedal 4-6 times makes it quite hard... but still the pedal is quite low. Later turning the car on the pedal sinks and the stiffness disappeares and I have no brakes... mecanic tells me to order new "O-ring seal" between the master cylinder and brake booster. But I belive its a much bigger problem. ive read some have this issue due to air in the Abs that need to be bleed with obd tool.
I have no faulty dash lights. Im very thankful for any help.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solved. Dealership fixed this with a diagnostic computer that force activated the ABS and bleed the system. Pedal is hard as a rock now.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Next time (and for others on the forum) another option before going to the dealership is to 1. bleed the system. 2. Go to a gravel road (or rain-slick one) and WHEN SAFE TO DO SO get up to at least 40 MPH and make several hard (ABS-clacking away) stops. 3. Bleed again.
It should fix it