Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Struts? Shocks? lower arm bushing?

Old Feb 10, 2018, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Struts? Shocks? lower arm bushing?

Hi, I got a 2012 Lancer ES and im on 138K mileage.

I recently did a oil change and the mechanic said my tires needed to be changed.
I looked at my tires and noticed the outter edge of my front tires were balding/cracking.
I changed my wheel(rims) and tires at 68K back in 2015. The guy also said I might
need new struts but I didn't have time so I left. 3 weeks later I went back and they said
I needed new strut/shock(I really dont know what my 2012 es has) but I feel like they
didn't really test my car but only based it off of my tires and a eye test and as they looked under my car they said my lower arm control bushing is also worn out but
that bushing he showed me was parallel to the floor(is it suppose to be like that? I thought it was suppose to be paralleled to the wheel). Anyway they quoted me over $1100 to have all 4 "strut" and lower control arm bushing replaced.

Does my ES have 2 strut in the front and 2 shocks in the rear? I do noticed my driver side rear the gap from the tire to the gap of the oval fender to be tighter/smaller than the gap on the rear passenger side(i did finger test and also you can tell by looking), if that strut/shock is really bad can I just change the 2 rear ones? I haven't really notice any bumpy/springy while driving but when I run over bumps or whatever it does sound/feel a bit rough. I have noticed lately if i braked a little hard/fast the car does feel like it shifting/moving or whatever it is.

I always have this feeling like mechanics try to rip me off with certain stuff that doesn't really need to be done but doesn't hurt to have it done anyway. Can you guys give me some advice? Should I take the car to another repair shop and have it inspected? What do I say or do?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you have 4 struts. 2 front and 2 rear. 1100 seems a bit high. Parts shouldn't cost more than 280ish. At 820 bucks for labor i would certainly seek a 2nd opinion or consider diy.

I know what you mean with the whole mechanics trying to hose you. I do most of the maintenance and repairs myself. If i can find a video or a walk through for any particular issue, then im for sure doing it myself.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SYSTEMA
you have 4 struts. 2 front and 2 rear. 1100 seems a bit high. Parts shouldn't cost more than 280ish. At 820 bucks for labor i would certainly seek a 2nd opinion or consider diy.

I know what you mean with the whole mechanics trying to hose you. I do most of the maintenance and repairs myself. If i can find a video or a walk through for any particular issue, then im for sure doing it myself.
I have 4 struts on my 2012 lancer ES? I thought the front were strut and the rear were shocks/shock absorbers. 1100 is for all 4 strut + 2 lower arm control bushing.

i had a friend look at my car today and he said the front strut were okay, worn but not bad but he did say my rear driver side needs to be replaced. He said I didn't need 4 new tires but maybe just 2 new front ones and rotate with the rear in the future.
He also said the outter edge(only the front tires) of my tires being more wear could be caused by my driving of making quick and hard left turns(I do, I go hard on left turns a lot of time). Said I should take it to a tire shop and have them look at it to see what I need to do(maybe bushing or ball joints).

Systema can I get pass with just doing the 2 rear ones and replacing all my tires?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A strut has a spring perch where the spring sits on as part of the strut assembly. (see pic) Shocks do not have a spring perch and have the spring mounted next to or near the shock rather than being one assembly. Most cars have a combination of struts in the rear and shock absorbers in the back but the lancer has struts on all four corners to give it a "sporty" ride. If you look up the price of each part you'll find that they are WAAAAY cheaper the $1100. So they are quoting way too high if that's just for part and not including labor.

It's hard for me to make that call especially since i can't see it in person. But i will say shops love to find every dusty looking part and say it needs to be replace. If your friend seems knowledgeable then go with what he says. just know that the car is getting up there in mileage and stuff just wears out. If it's not today then it will be later.
Attached Thumbnails Struts? Shocks? lower arm bushing?-lancer-struts.jpg  
Old Feb 16, 2018, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

$1100+ is for parts and labor + lower arm control bushing replacement. The strut are 850 installed and 330 for the arms bushing. Also Id have to get 4 brand new tires afterwards because the one I got now are pretty fckd on the edge. I saw one crack/hole with a little of the copper threads inside the crack/holes. I've been driving slower lately until I get it fixed. I don't want to put on new tires and to have the same issue in 6 month? 1 year? Made appointment with a tire shop tomorrow to get more idea/compare with the first auto repair shop I was at(1100 estimate).

By the photo it looks like I can just replace the 2 rear strut and hold on the front pair.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

A strut has a spring perch where the spring sits on as part of the strut assembly. (see pic) Shocks do not have a spring perch and have the spring mounted next to or near the shock rather than being one assembly. Most cars have a combination of struts in the rear and shock absorbers in the back but the lancer has struts on all four corners to give it a "sporty" ride. If you look up the price of each part you'll find that they are WAAAAY cheaper the $1100. So they are quoting way too high if that's just for part and not including labor.

It's hard for me to make that call especially since i can't see it in person. But i will say shops love to find every dusty looking part and say it needs to be replace. If your friend seems knowledgeable then go with what he says. just know that the car is getting up there in mileage and stuff just wears out. If it's not today then it will be later.
So I went ahead and did the repair. The first day I did it the driver side rear strut popped and leaked fluid after driving it for like 45 mins. I went back the next day and they had it replaced(KYB) and the 2 days later.... my passenger side rear strut is leaking fluid too now... I have yet to contact them because they are closed right now.
Is it possible something bad in my suspension is causing the strut to pop and leak? Or am I just unlucky to get 2 bad struts? Could it be that I can only use factory OEM struts?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 07:11 PM

I want to buy the rear strut assembly

Can someone please provide a link where i can purchase a new rear strut assembly for my 2015 lancer es. I cant find it anywhere. Please help me !!