Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Please help! Lancer brake troubles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please help! Lancer brake troubles

I recently bought a 2013 Lancer Gt and it needed brakes. I replaced pads and rotors and took the calipers off for a fresh coat of paint. I put everything back together and bled the system several times and am able to pump up pressure when the car is off, but as soon as the engine is on the petal goes straight to the floor and i have zero stopping power. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
SzabaTheHutt (Feb 8, 2020)
Old Jul 3, 2018, 06:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey welcome aboard

Because you removed the calipers, its likely there is still air in the system. Make sure you follow the bleed sequence for your model. I own the EvO which may have a diff sequence than the standard Lancer

Heres our process:

Old Jul 3, 2018, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hey welcome aboard

Because you removed the calipers, its likely there is still air in the system. Make sure you follow the bleed sequence for your model. I own the EvO which may have a diff sequence than the standard Lancer

Heres our process:

I’ve never had a vehicle where the car has the be running to bleed the brakes, that may be my issue thanks for the quick reply
Old Jul 3, 2018, 06:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Ive bled many times & never had the engine running. Just wanted to show you that detail we have in our EvO manual as well as the sequence
Old Feb 8, 2020, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CenKYmits
I recently bought a 2013 Lancer Gt and it needed brakes. I replaced pads and rotors and took the calipers off for a fresh coat of paint. I put everything back together and bled the system several times and am able to pump up pressure when the car is off, but as soon as the engine is on the petal goes straight to the floor and i have zero stopping power. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same problem on a VR 2009 Lancer. Did you get the bleed sequence for your model from somewhere in particular?

Does anyone have a known good brake mechanic for Lancers of this vintage who reads the specific model's instruction manuals? We have wasted $1000 on this problem so far with a local mechanic doing a bleed and replacing the master cylinder.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 08:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SzabaTheHutt
I have the same problem on a VR 2009 Lancer. Did you get the bleed sequence for your model from somewhere in particular?
Here's the bleed sequence for a 2009 Lancer:
LHD: http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/lancer...427AF00ENG.pdf
RHD: http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/lancer...428AF00ENG.pdf