Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Brake rotors Heat spots

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake rotors Heat spots

Well I am furious right now. I had my car sitting there for an hour and a half and when I returned I was told that they could not resurface the rotors because they had "heat spots" which they showed me. They said that these would return and I would still get the front wheels shaking under braking.

All I wanted was to get the new pads and rotors resurfaced.

Has anyone ever heard of this before and is it true or is it just another way to get me to spend 140plus dollars on some new rotors?

I just want to go to a car place to have something done just one time and come away paying for what I wanted done and only that.

WADAD
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

I forgot to say I went inside and asked another guy about the rotors and he said that they seemed like there were too worn down to be resurfaced safely as the rotors wear along with the pads. I can believe this a bit I guess but after 47K miles? Not that soon?

WADAD
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

well i have 65k miles and my rotors have never been resurfaced. i dont have that problem. how many times have your resurfaced your rotors? it seems to me that the pads werent worked in right, meaning that when they were put on new, they were used normally instead of worked in like they should be.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to say ....but there right. I had the same problem. I was going to change my brake pads and I saw heat spots on mine. Its from braking hard and heating up the metal to the point that it glazes and making the metal so smooth that the pads cant grip on them well anymore. I had to do mine after 30k and I just went with the rrm slotted rotors to disapate the heat better so that wont occur as easily. Plus I try to down shift a bit more now and not stop at the last min. Just try not to brake as hard. And the rotors do get to a point where they cant be resurfaced. You can look at your rotors yourself and see if you have spots on them.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the replies.

I do feel a little better now.

I saw the spots but I was wanting to make sure that this was not something being made up. I would love to change the rotors and pads myself but I don't have the time right now.

I'll have to check some out, but does $72 a piece for OEM style rotors seem reasonable?

WADAD
Old Apr 26, 2004, 06:22 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm at 32k and had the rotors resurfaced lightly once. Even with that, I experience a higher heat level caused by the thinner rotors. If you're at 47k with them and never resurfaced them, you probably did wear them pretty well. I plan on getting new rotors around 40k-45k because I know what happens when you turn rotors more than once... no brakes!!!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Urban

I think I am going to get them done tomorrow. I was on a time crunch today and to have wasted 2 hours there without getting it done before work was kind of upsetting also.

Thanks
WADAD