EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-sponsored-tire-rack-201/)
-   -   2008 Lancer LSD (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-sponsored-tire-rack/310457-2008-lancer-lsd.html)

WhiteGTS18 Nov 28, 2007 01:54 PM

Moved to a new thread, since it was being discussed in the swaybar thread... Keep all LSD discussion here, please.
-Blacksheepdj

What will the LSD do for the handling of the car? i thought all a LSD did was transfer power the the wheel with traction rather then spinning the one wheel out. what else does it do and will there be one for the CVT?

Blacksheepdj Nov 29, 2007 08:34 AM

LSD will increase traction by linking the front wheels together. No more "one wheel burnout" problems. Also helps handling because when turning, it gives both wheels equal power.

No LSD for CVT - LSDs are only for manual transmissions.

Ramen_Noodle Dec 6, 2007 08:44 PM

Sheep, I don't know that much about transmissions so humor me a little. Why can an LSD only work in a manual tranny? I've been curious about this ever since I picked up my GTS. I have some theories but I would rather keep them to myself to save face. :lol:

Blacksheepdj Dec 7, 2007 06:41 AM

To be totally honest, I have no clue. My understanding of the inner workings of an automatic transmission is basically zero.

I've just learned over the years that LSDs only come in manual transmissions. Automatic transmissions have something called a torque converter. They do different things, but each one is only found on that type of transmission.

I even tried to hit Wikipedia to sound smart, but they don't explain it well enough for me. :lol:

Ramen_Noodle Dec 7, 2007 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj (Post 5030807)
To be totally honest, I have no clue. My understanding of the inner workings of an automatic transmission is basically zero.

I've just learned over the years that LSDs only come in manual transmissions. Automatic transmissions have something called a torque converter. They do different things, but each one is only found on that type of transmission.

I even tried to hit Wikipedia to sound smart, but they don't explain it well enough for me. :lol:

Well crap. :lol:

ProRCRacer Dec 7, 2007 02:03 PM

I think I want to trade my CVT to someone with a M/T. Limited slip would be so great on power around turns being that we only have FWD.

evo-monstar Dec 7, 2007 03:08 PM

only the gts came with it ?

angryGTS Dec 7, 2007 03:32 PM

I've just learned over the years that LSDs only come in manual transmissions.

You can get an LSD for traditional automatics, a few people with an automatic 3g Eclipse have them, Quaife made them.

08gts Dec 7, 2007 03:34 PM

A torque converter basically does the same job as the clutch ( it is a little more complicated). The differential allows the drive wheels to turn at different speeds. the problem with an open diff (which is what we have) is that one wheel could be spinning and the other not moving (one wheel burn out). Also in tight turns it is not hard to spin the inside tire. Now a LSD (limited slip differential) will still allow the tires to move at different speeds in turns, but when one tire loses traction the LSD can send power to the other tire. LSD can use viscous coupling, clutches or even gears.

I don't know how hard it would be to put a LSD in a CVT I have not worked with too many of them, but since both the cvt and the manual have differentials I would imagine that you could put a LSD in ether one.

I would put a lower final dive in too for better acceleration, Our cars have fairly high gear ratios in them.

Drifting Away Dec 8, 2007 09:14 AM

They make a LSD for our ride? Hell if so where can i pick on up, had one on my 240, it made a rater noticeable difference in traction.

nj_08_gts Dec 8, 2007 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Drifting Away (Post 5034475)
They make a LSD for our ride? Hell if so where can i pick on up, had one on my 240, it made a rater noticeable difference in traction.

It's about as close as a FWD car can get to AWD (traction-wise)...the LSD would make a marked improvement for anyone who does auto X/rally X.

A client of mine has a Lotus with the rear LSD...your imagination is the limit with that car when it comes to handling...it NEVER loses the road and easily out turns a Lotus without the LSD.

razo Dec 8, 2007 07:41 PM

hmmm
i’m a little lost here, so i’ll just say what i have to say…

can i get one for my 08 DE?
if so…where…

nj_08_gts Dec 8, 2007 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by razo (Post 5035891)
hmmm
i’m a little lost here, so i’ll just say what i have to say…

can i get one for my 08 DE?
if so…where…

No company has an '08 Lancer LSD available yet, so for now your answer is no. And don't sweat being lost...I'm sure a bunch of people have the same questions you do...so never be afraid to ask anything (as long as you do a search first).

razo Dec 8, 2007 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by nj_08_gts (Post 5036144)
No company has an '08 Lancer LSD available yet, so for now your answer is no. And don't sweat being lost...I'm sure a bunch of people have the same questions you do...so never be afraid to ask anything (as long as you do a search first).

thanks man…that’s all i needed to hear. {thumbup}

i know what an LSD is…it’s just that with the moved thread and random posts, i was trying to figure out if some people already had them and what the deal was…lol
i would seriously consider investing in one if/when they were available…with the slippery icy roads i’m dealing with right now, it would be extra nice to have…

ustcc evo Dec 9, 2007 02:41 PM

I've been looking as well, the race car really needs one.

I was hoping they would put one on the Caliber turbo, but they didn't. Even if they did, while the engine blocks are the same, I'm not sure about the transmissions.

Maybe its time to start a cross-platform sticky for things like brake pads, engines, transmissions, diffs, etc. that are used among multiple makes and models.

For instance, time to order that 4B11 turbo exhaust manifold for a little xmas cheer...