EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-sponsored-tire-rack-58/)
-   -   Caliper bracket torque (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-sponsored-tire-rack/708242-caliper-bracket-torque.html)

Tobra Feb 17, 2015 08:16 PM

Caliper bracket torque

2003 Lancer Disk on front drum on rear
I need the torque for the two bolts that how the Caliper bracket to the steering knuckle. Also for the two bolt that hold caliper to bracket

CrAnSwIcK Feb 17, 2015 08:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
for the bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket, you mean the guide pins/bolts, yes?

Attachment 273338

Attachment 273339

Tobra Feb 17, 2015 09:16 PM

Yes the guide pin/bolts. I have not started the brake job yet. I had to look at mine again I did not realize there where two different size bolts. 63 ft lb top bolt is that right?
Thank you

Tobra Feb 18, 2015 10:29 AM

After taking the brakes apart the different torques on the guide pins make sense.
Thank you for the pictures.

Thanks

marcouxa1 Feb 18, 2015 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tobra (Post 11397373)
After taking the brakes apart the different torques on the guide pins make sense.
Thank you for the pictures.

Thanks

You know you don't have to torque them at the exact torque right? No 1 torques bolts unless it's engine or transmission parts usually. You can simply use a normal +-1 foot ratchet and torque it but just make sure not to overtighten and strip the bolt. Once the bolt is hand tight it only takes +- 1/2 turn for the bolts to be tight depending on the bolt's grade and thread size.

tliT Jul 24, 2015 05:21 PM

would you happen to have the rear disc assembly page as well? I don't have a manual guide that has all this portion in it.

CrAnSwIcK Jul 24, 2015 08:04 PM

marco's right, I honestly don't even torque my transmission case or mounting bolts...flywheel and clutch of course...crank pulley, cam gear etc. but for brakes, they are "good n tight".

i'll see if I can get the manual up online for ya...there are links on this forum somewhere, but I can't remember where they're at, or if they even work still...

jimbo74 Jul 24, 2015 08:38 PM

I have snapped guide pins with a regular ratchet because I am a beast, haha..... also snapped them with a torque wrench go figure. I just can feel where they need to be now..... if I use a torque wrench, I do it twice, once at half what the spec is, then at spec

tliT Jul 25, 2015 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK (Post 11483210)
marco's right, I honestly don't even torque my transmission case or mounting bolts...flywheel and clutch of course...crank pulley, cam gear etc. but for brakes, they are "good n tight".

i'll see if I can get the manual up online for ya...there are links on this forum somewhere, but I can't remember where they're at, or if they even work still...

Alright, thanks. I'm sure the torque specs on the back caliper bracket are somewhat close to the fronts. I'm fairly new to the mechanic side of things when it comes to working on cars. I also tried to look around for the back side on here and a couple other different lancer/evolution sites and couldn't find it. If you can find it, that would be great, if not it's not a huge deal.

tliT Jul 25, 2015 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo74 (Post 11483222)
I have snapped guide pins with a regular ratchet because I am a beast, haha..... also snapped them with a torque wrench go figure. I just can feel where they need to be now..... if I use a torque wrench, I do it twice, once at half what the spec is, then at spec

Hah, that would suck, I actually have heard on a couple different forums hearing people say that they just tighten down the caliper bracket bolts as hard as they can make them go. Since I'm kind of new to the whole mechanic side of things, I don't want to mess anything up. xP