Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Can You Really Change An Automatic To A Manual?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2005, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can You Really Change An Automatic To A Manual?

I've heard that this can be done, if expensive.

And, while i'm on the subject, what are the advantages of a MT to an AT, other then the coolness factor?
Old Feb 25, 2005, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

it can be done, and it is expensive unless you know where to look. all you need is a manual trnasmission. the center console with shift accesories. clutch, brake kit from a manual. then the ecu from one too.

MT has that 5th gear that im sooooo jealuos of. and better shifting.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, and vice versa, but it is expensive... Some guy got a Lambo for his wife, and put an Auto tranny in it for 60k cuz she didn't know how to drive MT... So, I would bet it works in reverse... and MT over AT... well, if you need to save gas, you can shift really early, and if you wanna go fast, you'll go a bit faster with MT than AT, that's about it
Old Feb 25, 2005, 06:52 PM

I wish I had 60k to blow on my wife like that. A wife would'nt be too bad either...

Thanks guys, i'm gonna look into this some more when I get some cash.

Oh, and before I forget, this "5th gear" intrigues me...

Is it saucy?
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

there is no comparison to a lambo and out lancers. a tire on that car is worth more than our whole car itself. but anywayz. i'm gonna be doin a manual swap. i just need to get hands on some parts. the stuff listed above is waht ya need plus the axle. rite now i have the tranny, clutch, flywheel, ecu. if anyone has anything for me please lemme kno. i need clutch accerioies, pedal set, axle, cable linkage, center console. thx
Old Feb 26, 2005, 07:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, 5th gear ain't saucy. It's kinda like overdrive on your car.

But when you have a manual, 2nd gear is a lot more fun than it is on an auto (and I've driven both!). I promise.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

if 2nd gear is strong with the 5spd than sh!!t i will have so much fun with the sds once iget the swap done. even the auto my 2nd n 3rd gears r so strong. my first gear just freakin spin my tires even with my 17's on auto tranny..
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It would be more worth your while to sell your Automatic (which is worth more) and buy a standars (Which is less)
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

i agree w/ danno. why use more than necessary to install manual when you can get more for your auto and find one that is already manual?
Old Mar 20, 2005, 08:24 PM

first off, your car would be worth less than a manual (if you have an auto, i don't) if you're trying to trade to get a stick shift, because dealers are *********. the difference between the cost of both is about $300 or so (correct me if i'm wrong)in favor of the automatic (more people drive it). the swap to stick would take approx. a grand i believe...maybe more. is it worth it? i don't know. i just bought a stick shift to begin with. if you really like switching gears and using all four appendages, and have an extra manual lancer laying around...
Old Mar 20, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
It can be done, but it'll be costly, the parts alone with be over 1000$ maybe even going as high as 1500$, then there's install, which unless your willing to have your car out of service for a long time, will cost another 1000-2000$ at least. A manual is superior in every way to an auto, more power, better fuel economy, more fun and safer, since you have more control over every facet of the car, if you have to, you can simply engine brake in an emergency. It'd probably be cheaper, or more effective to simply trade your car in, if its an 03, you can probably trade now and not lose too much money.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 11:41 PM

yeah...i'd say the best equation would be

sell auto + buy manual = stick shift swap

either way, you're looking to pay about a grand or over. at least that way you don't have to search for parts...not to mention the "0" miles on a new car...
Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nextgenerationx
there is no comparison to a lambo and out lancers. a tire on that car is worth more than our whole car itself. but anywayz. i'm gonna be doin a manual swap. i just need to get hands on some parts. the stuff listed above is waht ya need plus the axle. rite now i have the tranny, clutch, flywheel, ecu. if anyone has anything for me please lemme kno. i need clutch accerioies, pedal set, axle, cable linkage, center console. thx

yep, the front bumper on the murcialago is 14k.... just the bumper...

the engine? 90k

the MT just gives you better control over your RPM's than an AT, plus its more fun, and yes, the coolness factor
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:27 PM

where did you get those numbers?

that's kind of sad though-the front bumper of a lambo. is worth more than my car's current value.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:33 PM

Wow, this thread is still alive?

Anyway, my Lancer has 20,480(I bought it at just under 20,000 for about $17,000 used) miles on it, doubt i'd get much on a trade.