Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

5 Speed gearbox problems

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Speed gearbox problems

I have two Lancer 2009 GTS in the family with manual gearbox, the 1st car hit 47000 miles the 1st gear syncros gone, replace at dealer. The 2nd car hit 47000
miles now the 3rd gear. Does anyone out there having this problem. The cars are real nice to drive, they have been driven normally, but is this going to happen again?
Old May 5, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah... mitsubishis dont have the best gearboxes lol. I need to have my clutch and input shaft bearing replaced. But then again I do give it a hard time doing gymkhanas and circuit racing...
Old May 7, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No problems with mine. I have 60000kms on it. Did you replace you trans oil at the recommended interval?
Old May 8, 2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by CamShaft
No problems with mine. I have 60000kms on it. Did you replace you trans oil at the recommended interval?
There is no replacing of manual gearbox oil, its just a inspection. And 48000 miles on high way no racing no pushing of gears, NA !! that tells me the syncros are weak. I have driven manual gearboxes all my life ( 43 yrs).
Old May 10, 2011, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Islandguy09
There is no replacing of manual gearbox oil, its just a inspection. And 48000 miles on high way no racing no pushing of gears, NA !! that tells me the syncros are weak. I have driven manual gearboxes all my life ( 43 yrs).
I have about 40K miles, no syncro issues except an occasional stiffness when trying to get into 1st (but only happens when the car is not completely stopped).
Regardless of the recommended intervals, change the transmission oil because it might help alleviate the problem. I used BG Syncroshift 2 on mine.
Look in the Evo X section for oil blends which people have had success with eliminating grinding issues.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:40 PM

Thanks I will try that oil, spec looks good.
The dealer is replacing the syncros, so we will see.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Are you sure you are reading the manual correctly. Anything with oil in it needs to be changed. The lancer severe schedule maintenance on the transmission is to change the oil every 30K miles or 48K kms.

You are probably following the regular maintenance schedule, which should never be followed!

This is why your transmissions are failing most likely.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 02:13 PM

Are you sure you are reading the manual correctly. Anything with oil in it needs to be changed. The lancer severe schedule maintenance on the transmission is to change the oil every 30K miles or 48K kms.

You are probably following the regular maintenance schedule, which should never be followed!

Yes you are right I missed that Thank you very much.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that replacing the trans. oil is a very good practice despite being only required by the severe schedule, that's why I changed mine early anyway.

However I don't think that at only 47000 miles the transmission should have any issues simply because the Regular schedule was followed (under normal driving conditions by an exp. driver it is calculated to be adequate).

When I changed my trans. oil at 33K miles, it still had a very natural 'normal' color because it doesn't endure the same stress as motor oil. I think it must be another reason due to the transmission's flaws although mine is going strong.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Did you ever get a chance to see the syncros that failed? Were they worn out, or did the friction discs/cones come apart on the lining? Because worn out would most likely indicate bad driving habits (not saying you are doing this) Example, always trying to shift to 1st gear at 15 kms/h will wear out the syncro. Or downshifting to 2nd at 60 kms/h, will wear out 2nd syncro. The friction lining on the syncro may have come apart. It may have heat checks, meaning it was overheated due to lack of lube/heat dissipation. There are ways to tell why it failed and will give you a clue to what you may be doing wrong or just a defective part. Ask them why it failed. See if they are smart
Old Jun 4, 2011, 08:26 AM

I only had 3rd gear problems,difficult togo into up-shifting or down-shifting. 3rd gear is usually the top gear, pulling gear than goes first, so when 1st gear in my daughters car went that was unusual, she could not select 1st. My wife's Montero sport her 2nd gear difficult to go in, up-shifting & down shifting, but she has been living with it for 10 years now, it's 4 wheel drive. Mits have 4 model gearboxes for the lancers from 2008-2010.
They change the syncros which comes with the fiction disc, but they did all of mine. Basically rebuild my gearbox. I don't drive it hard as did with my Mazda 3 which was well pumped up had no gearbox problems 5 years, change a few clutches.
Bad driving can be seen in your clutch also.

In all I have not pushed this car at all reason being stopped by cops 5x in month when I first got it.
I drive 100 miles a day, 48,000 in less than 2 yrs, R/R oil & filter every 4000 miles.
So all highway miles, so bad driving or weak gearbox, I love the car, it's always clean.
Some of the rally guys in England (UK) tell me use the Redline products as well some of the guys in Australia. So I will do in 2000 miles.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you may have had bad luck. Faulty parts. Who knows. We haven't heard until your story of the mitsu gearboxes failing syncros...at least I haven't.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:15 AM

as a good practice, shouldn't you be rev-matching when downshifting anyway?? don't you find it annoying when your car jerks when downshifting cause you're solely relying on the syncros??
Old Jul 13, 2011, 05:50 AM

I have two Lancer 2009 GTS in the family with manual gearbox, the 1st car hit 47000 miles the 1st gear syncros gone, replace at dealer. The 2nd car hit 47000
miles now the 3rd gear. Does anyone out there having this problem. The cars are real nice to drive, they have been driven normally, but is this going to happen again?
I've got one better for you.... '08 ES, 5-speed, driven off the lot with 118 on the odometer. I turned it in a week later (@500 on the odo) for a transmission issue.... Best way I could describe it, while coming to a stop, in gear or coasting, get down around 35 or so miles an hour and it made a clicking noise like someone had spun the wheel on Wheel Of Fortune.

Three weeks later and (what I'm told) a few experts from the mechanic's training facility, they find a "factory defect" on the ring and pinion gears. Get it fixed, back on the road. Except ever since, there was a scraping sound when taking off, but only after the car had been sitting a good length of time, or after backing up. Turned it in a few times, but the mechanics could either not replicate the problem, or could not find the cause......

Fast forward to my current @78k miles. The synchro (I'm assuming) for first gear is completely toast. I'll actually get it into first gear only a rough thirty percent of my attempts. So naturally there's alot of grinding and onlookers snickering.

I love the car, don't get me wrong. But this has got to be the sorriest gearbox I have ever had the mispleasure of dealing with in my life. And, having only owned manuals in the fifteen years since I've gotten my driver's license, I would like to say I've had my fair share of experience with them.

I've got to do some research on the powertrain warranty and see if I can get the dealer to cover a loaner car before I put it back in the shop. I think once it's repaired though, I may upgrade to a newer edition of the same car. Maybe they've ironed out the bugs in the newer ones.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:30 AM

I'm having an issue with my gearbox too, not sure if its related.

I've had this three times in the last week and only during spirited driving from a full stop.
During acceleration, I pressed the clutch and shift into 2nd, but the gear grinds without me releasing the clutch, so I pressed harder on the clutch until it can't go any further, which doesn't go much as I usually press the clutch in pretty far anyway, try shifting again, and it grinds again. After a third attempt, the transmission slips nicely into 2nd.
First time this happened I was crossing an intersection after a red.
It's a 2010 SE (2.0L 5spd) with less than 30k kms on it.
Only performance mods are exhaust, SRI, and RRM Timing Box. Also I'm know in my car club for driving slowly so the car doesn't recieve a lot of abuse. :P

Quick Reply: 5 Speed gearbox problems