Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

AWD conversion info thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AWD conversion info thread

Who has looked into it? I don't have a newer Lancer, but a friend has a GTS and we've been talking about converting it to AWD. Now before I sound like I'm asking a newb question, let me say I've researched this a bit and it seems like it wouldn't be a difficult conversion. Rear subframes and trailing arms have the same part numbers between the CY5A (GTS, ES, and DE) and CY4A (Ralliart) according to ASA. (though I don't trust it as they don't have the Ralliart listed as being awd ) It looks like all there is to the rear end may be getting Ralliart wheel bearings and axles and buying a rear diff assembly. What I need to keep this research up is lots of pics of the DE,ES,GTS rear subframe and suspension bits and also lots of pics of the Ralliart rear setup for comparison as all I have at the moment is what's posted below. The other bit I don't know about is what would be involved in swapping to the Ralliart tranny and whether the RA driveshaft will work out of the box or need modified; but let's figure this out a piece at a time starting with the hard part (that being the rear end assembly) LOL. If someone else has already discussed this in detail then sorry, I did search. Let me also add that from what I can tell these cars will be much easier to convert down the road than the older Lancers and Mirages. I'm currently working on converting a Mirage to an Evo IV and I actually will be cutting out the Mirage floorpan and welding in an Evo one in it's place. I don't think it will be near as hard to convert this generation Lancer with it's bolt in subframe design vs the old Lancer/Mirage welded on crossmember setup. Thank you Mitsu for making it easy on us for once! (Maybe? )

Here are some pics of the Ralliart and Evo X rear subframes and how the diff bolts in:

Ralliart:
Name:  LancerRalliartrearsubframe.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  29.1 KB
Name:  LancerRalliartrearsubframe4.jpg
Size:  28.9 KB

Evo X:
Name:  EvoX2.jpg
Size:  35.4 KB
Name:  EvoX.jpg
Size:  34.9 KB

How it goes together: (This is an Evo X setup; note the diff only sits in the one mount in the back and also note where the diff wings bolt too)
Name:  2009-Lancer-Ralliart-HKS-Center-Pipe.jpg
Size:  114.4 KB

Last edited by Alchem1st; Aug 25, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice....keep us updated on ur findings..
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Will do, but I need you guys help for pics as I don't have a Lancer to reference.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:16 PM

not a problem...just tell me what pics u want..
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

I need pics of the rear subframe to verify that the single rear mount is there (lower circle) and that the forward mounts are there (upper circles) and also in inside of the trailing arms where the axles would go through. Also of the fuel tank tunnel where the driveshaft would be to make sure there's room for it. Also need to know if the spots for the driveshaft hangers are there. (the hanger brackets may even already be there, they are on the Mirage) It looks like AWD will be very easy for you guys!!!

This is what you need to look for on the subframe:
Name:  LancerRalliartrearsubframe4-1.jpg
Size:  48.3 KB

Last edited by Alchem1st; Aug 26, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:02 PM

ok...will do...i'll try to take them tmrw jus hav a few tings to do 1st..
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:52 AM

LoL I'm glad to see this thread cause I was about to convert my FWD GTS to AWD and add a turbo. Cause of the RRM Lancer Video I saw but unfortunately my GTS got totaled by an 18 wheeler?

No worries I got a truck has a replacement for two months n in November-December I'm getting my EVO X GSR
Old Sep 7, 2011, 08:04 AM

Front wheel is the way to stay because you'll catch an evolution if you get the same horse
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

True true, but AWD is more fun in the Winter!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just buy an EVO. Or, best thing to do is buy a wrecked EVO and swap drivetrain, main harness into Lancer. Remember that the EVO tans has a computer controlled center diff and all that would need to be added. You're looking at a $10k swap to add the drivetrain, axles, hubs, harness, brakes etc. Makes more sense to just buy a wrecked evo and swap all the parts over to the lancer.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by neverendingmods
Just buy an EVO. Or, best thing to do is buy a wrecked EVO and swap drivetrain, main harness into Lancer. Remember that the EVO tans has a computer controlled center diff and all that would need to be added. You're looking at a $10k swap to add the drivetrain, axles, hubs, harness, brakes etc. Makes more sense to just buy a wrecked evo and swap all the parts over to the lancer.
I think you missed the point. I'm not planning to convert a Lancer, in fact I don't even own one lol. I've just been looking into what it takes to do the conversion for people who may want too in the future when its more cost effective. If us mirage guys knew 5 years ago how easy it actually is to convert our cars to awd there'd be a whole lot more swapped ones on the road. Sofar it seems like the conversion wont be super hard parts wise and I'm sure the electronics will eventually be figured out. Gotta start somewhere heh.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

hey alchem1st u can use my car for any pics needed u know that lol
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Haha yeah, we need to hang out again soon. If nothing else, MOD.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

ya will do but i wonder if anyone is doing this and if so id like info cuz im becomng very fond of my sportback
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Haha half the guys here will tell you it's cheaper to buy a RA or a X. I'm up for it though if you want to!

Quick Reply: AWD conversion info thread