Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

clutch chatter on engagement

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question clutch chatter on engagement

I have an exedy stage 1 clutch with light weight flywheel from exedy one piece. The clutch has started to chatter only on engagement to 1st and reverse kinda wondering what may be causing this, I have a 06 MR with the 6 speed. No slipping good power still but doesn't seem normal. Any ideas what this may be?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
if it's only when going from a stop, or when shifting up or down at very low RPM, that's pretty normal for an aftermarket clutch, and especially with a light weight flywheel...

My ACT stage 1 chatters with OEM flywheel...rev a bit higher as you engage the clutch and the chatter should be reduced. how long has the clutch been installed?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 01:26 PM

I've had the clutch for about 1 1/2 years, installed new with pressure plate and TOB. I have put about 10k miles or so on it and it started this chattering about the first of the year. All feed back is much appreciated!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
try bleeding the clutch, make sure all the air is out of the system. i bet the problem is your TOB sticking. i had the same problem with my lancer. mine really did it bad when pulling out if i was engaging at low rpms.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
try bleeding the clutch, make sure all the air is out of the system. i bet the problem is your TOB sticking. i had the same problem with my lancer. mine really did it bad when pulling out if i was engaging at low rpms.
That's exactly what its doing, that makes alot of sense, since this started when the brake/ clutch fluid was low, I got new brakes that I'm putting on all 4 with new lines and some super blue brake fluid so I will be bleeding the whole thing really soon when I change the parts and fluid out. All feedback is truly welcome and thanks to all that reply!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
try bleeding the whole system and start furthest away from the master cylinder. if that don't work, either pull out at higher rpms or replace the TOB.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
hmm, my Ralliart has done it from day one after my rebuild...all brand new parts, complete flush, and bleed of brakes and clutch...it's pretty minor though...is it chattering violently, or is it a tiny brief rattle?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:29 PM

It's not super violent and it does it more when the car is warmed up (driven for about 15+ mins), only does it in 1st gear and Reverse upon initial engagement around 1500-2000 rpm, when it chatters it seems like its slipping alot more until full engagement. On full engagement it feels fine.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 01:08 PM

do u have the matching fly wheel from the same company as the disc and pressure plate or is it a stock fly wheel?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by SpinALL4s
do u have the matching fly wheel from the same company as the disc and pressure plate or is it a stock fly wheel?
Its the matching flywheel from exedy. Its a one piece billet chromoly steel lightweight flywheel they sell for the Evo's.