Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

2002 Lancer OZ a NO GO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Lancer OZ a NO GO

Hello Everyone,

Could use just a few ideas from folks or to see if anyone else has had a problem like this. The car is a 02 Lancer OZ, 2.0 N/A, manual trans and here is what happened...

After stopping at a 4 way stop, put the car into first and started to move, heard an extremely loud "pop" (like a hard snap really) and after that the car would not move. Engine did not die, just no movement. When the clutch is pressed in, everything is normal. There is normal pressure on the clutch and no problems shifting into gears. Here is the kicker...when I let out on the clutch, there is a sound as if something spinning and rubbing. I can also put the car into gear and let out the clutch with no gas and the car will not die. If I give it a little gas while this is going on the speedo will climb to around 20. Press the clutch back in, goes away.

Caught a tow back to the house. Anyway, I haven't been under the car yet but before I do was hoping someone might have seen something like this before and could give me some advice or a good starting point on where to look.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
weird...when you accelerated, was it aggressive?

if it's actually going into gear it would have to be a broken axle, or a broken diff or something do do with the clutch, but I can't see a clutch slipping so bad that it gives no input to the transmission, and if something in the clutch was actually sheared or broken, it would make noise, and probably vibrate like crazy, but then again, it could just be the hub and disc sheard the riverts. also the speedometer is driven by the diff, so if an axle was broken, the diff would still output a reading...like when you spin your drive wheels, in the case of a burnout, your speedometer should say you're moving quickly, but you could be sitting completely still. if the diff was broken, I'm not 100% cause I've never had it happen, but I would say it should sound like a game of hungry hungry hippos going on in there...

all I can say, is lift the car up, inspect the axles...then take them out, pull the tranny, see what the clutch looks like, and if those are both good, then you need a new tranny, a rebuild, or you can split it open and fix it yourself...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it wasn't an aggressive start at all. I was in a residential neighborhood and was just easing out of the 4 way. The more I'm thinking, it almost sounds like a cv joint is broken. Of course, like you said, it will be hard to tell until I get under it.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds almost like when I busted the input shaft on my tranny in my rwd toyota pickup
Old Aug 26, 2015, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

you would need a **** ton of torque to shear an input shaft, did your pinion and diff lock up?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
you would need a **** ton of torque to shear an input shaft, did your pinion and diff lock up?
No, I just drive like a maniac..... stock, 85 toyota rwd pickup. (well, lifted, so I guess not stock)... well, bobbed bed, and a big air filter, 22r, carbed 2.4l....... man I miss that truck

Last edited by jimbo74; Aug 27, 2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

that's crazy, i've seen 600hp AWD DSM's strip the teeth off of first gear, but never a sheared input shaft...
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

I was running a centerforce dual friction clutch if that matters....... the toyota 22r puts out like 95 hp
Old Aug 27, 2015, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

doesn't add up, must be metal fatigue, or a defect in the forging process...that's a good one though...hope you kept the "trophy"...I still have the clutch pieces I found inside my transmission