Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.
View Poll Results: Who has had CVT Problems? Repairable or Replaced?
No Problems
36.36%
Had Problems
36.36%
It Was Repairable
18.18%
Full Transmission Replacement
22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Who has had CVT problems?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has had CVT problems?

I am just curious about the percentage of people that have had problems with their CVT's. My 2010 Lancer has 98k miles on it and it seems like these transmissions don't last very long. So my questions are who has had problems? Was it repairable, or a total replacement. I have had no problems as of yet, but that doesn't mean I am not concerned. It would be nice if people would comment on the mileage that the CVT failed, the year of the car, and the model in the comments section as well. Sorry, I am a data person.

Last edited by 1999VR-4EVO; Jul 20, 2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

2012 Lancer ES CVT with 98K on it. No problem so far I think but lately I've been noticing hesitation on incomplete stop and go. Will change spark plugs and see if that fixes my problem.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had two cvts replaced under warranty for my 09 Es sport. First one was @ 60k because of a failed solenoid and they replaced the whole unit. 2nd was 20k-ish later because it was over heating on the highway, so they replaced the whole unit again.

Before the 2nd cvt replacment I noticed a faint whine as I went on the highway to go to work. This happened soon after a drain and fill by the dealer. When i checked the cvt fluid level i noticed that it was WAAAAAAAAAAAY over filled. Like the level was marking 6in above the filled hash mark. Took it back to the dealer to voice my concerns and was told by the tech that it was fine. The whining got worse and worse to the point that I couldn't drive at highway speed limits for more than 15 minutes without getting the "SLOW DOWN" warning. I took it back a few times saying I was getting the slow down warning only to have the techs say "car runs fine, can't reproduce issue." It continued to get worse and even went to full limp mode in a busy intersection. After that I asked if I could take one of the techs for a ride so I could make the car sing for them. Shortly after getting on the highway the car started to produce the super charger whine of death every time I accelerated to try to pass. No slow down warning but enough for the tech to tell me "yup, that's not good". They replaced the cvt and I sold the car soon after.

After getting rid of the car I later found out about a service bulletin pertaining to over filled transmissions. The dip sticks for the cvts were marking high leading techs to over fill them even though they thought they were properly filled. Techs were also just filling cvt to certain spec regardless if they had a cvt cooler or not. A new cvt dip stick is available that marks the proper fluid level required and techs now fill till they see the dip stick marking full rather than an arbitrary spec for all lancers.
The following users liked this post:
trstn (Feb 13, 2024)
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:47 AM

Thank you for the replies, hopefully more people take the time to vote and comment. It would be nice to have a larger amount of people weigh in on it.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 01:57 AM
Evolving Member

I feel 2012 was year mits correct most they issues. By the way, I always have doubts at the stealership. Specially when you can't see what they're doing or not doing. I got ripped off once about 10 years ago. Never will I ever go to that dealership again
Old Jul 22, 2016, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Newuser213
I feel 2012 was year mits correct most they issues. By the way, I always have doubts at the stealership. Specially when you can't see what they're doing or not doing. I got ripped off once about 10 years ago. Never will I ever go to that dealership again

Hopefully they have worked out all of the kinks. My wife really wanted the new Outlander GT which also comes with a CVT.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Just last Saturday

Cvt blew something out of it one night...all the atf came out. Have to replace whole tranny.

2008 lancer es. With 107k miles. I have a thread up, tranny blew.

It was cost a **** load of money....between tranny and labor -_-

I set up a gofundme, but alas, no one has donated lol.

Anyway, never had a issue with my car until that night. Odd.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

How much did it cost?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

I havent had it fixed yet, on mitsubishiparts.net the quote is around 5k. Used trannys would be less of course, and labor would be dependent on labor cost per hour. My local mitsu deal charges 84 a hour. I would imagine it would take some time to get in installed.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by CMcraz23
Cvt blew something out of it one night...all the atf came out. Have to replace whole tranny.

2008 lancer es. With 107k miles. I have a thread up, tranny blew.

It was cost a **** load of money....between tranny and labor -_-

I set up a gofundme, but alas, no one has donated lol.

Anyway, never had a issue with my car until that night. Odd.

Sorry to hear about that man. Hope you figure it all out soon.

Anymore responses? There has to be more owners out there that use this forum.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

5K is like half the value! of the car
Old Jul 27, 2016, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Newuser213
5K is like half the value! of the car

That's exactly what I was thinking, and that is if it is really good condition...
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:19 AM

My cvt went out at 65k
It looks like u have to change the oil every 40k.
So i had to replace it. The cheapest i found came out of a 2010 i got it for $750. It was a direct fit to my 2008 gts but now i have a problem, the 2008 model has a pressure sensor and the 2010 doesn't have it so now i have a check engine light and the car feels like has no power to take off
I think that since the computer is looking for that pressure signal it cuts the power at take off
I wonder if there is any way to fix this problem without having to replace the transmission.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

i changed my CVT oil at 80K -_-
Old Aug 21, 2016, 05:24 PM

I have a 14 Lancer ES. 95% of the 80k miles is all highway. At about 60k I was on a 180 mile trip home from S. FL when my "slow down" light came on. I have to admit I was driving pretty hard and fast. It happened another time a month or so later on the same trip but it was 90 degrees out and it took quite a while for the whining and slipping to go away. My next job was only 40 miles away for about five months and I never experience the slipping again but did hear the whining a couple of times during som faster driving. In June my job took me 120 miles away and even though my driving was a little more conservative the same problem repeated itself, usually in the afternoon or hotter times of the day. I always pulled of the road and stopped for a thirty minute cool down and that got rid of the slipping and most of the whining. I figured out if I kept close to 70mph I didn't have the problem. I just started another job 250 miles away. When I drove it the first time a week and a half ago at around 75mph the problem repeated. That's when I got on the interwebs and started looking around. I found this place and a couple of others. Today I changed out the fluid with Castrol CVT fluid. Drove it pretty hard (80-85mph) for about 35 miles in 95 degree heat and didn't hear a thing or experience any slippage. Tomorrow is the real test as I run the 250 mile trip again.

Quick Reply: Who has had CVT problems?