Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Cv axle differential seal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cv axle differential seal

Greetings all, I have been finding the information on the site very useful so I decided to make an account. Hopefully I am posting this in the right subforum.

Anyway, I'm having trouble finding out the information for how deep I should drive this seal wether it be flush with the housing or all the way in, the service manual only notes that I should drive it in with said driver tool. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I replaced both sides after I took out the transmission, while wondering the same thing. I ended up installing flush, it's still fine after many months and track days.

Had the same question when I replaced the rear diff seal on a 4x4 Jeep Pat (the Chrysler dealership sold me a Mitsubishi seal). I ended up driving that one in farther than flush, and then it wept a bit, but who knows - could have been the axle had a scratch on it or I dinged the seal a bit when installing.

Would love to hear about depth of installation from a mechanic who installs a lot of these.