Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

"Hey my car is making a noise" (trans/clutch)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Hey my car is making a noise" (trans/clutch)

I've got an 02 OZ Rally Lancer 5spd. It's got an oil leak here and there given its age, I give it a quart of oil maybe once a month or less. Over time the transmission has gotten louder and louder. 1st gear is loudest, followed by 2nd, then 3rd, 4th and 5th really don't make any noise though. When I've got the clutch pushed in, it's making no noise, but no clutch pedal and in neutral and it makes a bit of a noise. I thought I was low on trans fluid so I went ahead and changed it--75w90, put in maybe 2.4 quarts and let it drip off the fill plug for a while after taking it off the jack. Still sounds the same. I know my clutch is a little worn out, if I floor it at speed it slips but otherwise works fine for normal use. Is it my clutch making the noise? I don't *feel* a grind in any of the gears on the stick, it's just the noise.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 01:01 PM

I think it is probably your input shaft bearing. This same defect occurred on my '03 OZ Rally. Search YouTube for "Mitsubishi input shaft bearing" and there will be several videos that will pop up to aid with diagnosis.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by DocV
I think it is probably your input shaft bearing. This same defect occurred on my '03 OZ Rally. Search YouTube for "Mitsubishi input shaft bearing" and there will be several videos that will pop up to aid with diagnosis.
I happen to still have this car since I lost the title and I'm waiting on another one. It does seem to me like it's the input shaft bearing judging from the other videos and comments I saw. Thank you very much.