EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-tranny-drivetrain-tech-59/)
-   -   Auto slow shift 2-3/3-4 when hot, cheap fix? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-tranny-drivetrain-tech/671521-auto-slow-shift-2-3-3-4-when-hot-cheap-fix.html)

rickb928 Sep 30, 2013 07:57 AM

Auto slow shift 2-3/3-4 when hot, cheap fix?

My '04 OZ (223K) shifts slow 2-3, 4-5 when hot, such as slow commuting traffic on a 108 degree day (phoenix). It also shifts hard 2-3/4-5 when cold.

I'm less worried about the harsh shifting than I am the slow shift and overspeed.

How about I add a tranny cooler in fromt of the radiator, and keep the fluid cooler? Does that sound like, it would avoid the slow shift, and avoid working on this?

And yes, I know, 223K is a long ways for any slushbox, but I took a '95 Explorer from 168K to 212K with the ORIGINAL A/T, and that failed from a misdiagnosed EPC solenoid. The rebuild went for >100K before it was rolled in the desert. I'm not hard on cars.

Oh, and I need to replace the radiator soon anyways, so this is the time to add in the cooler.

Thanks!

Green_Bandit Sep 30, 2013 06:23 PM

#1 the auto doesn't have 5 gears. Only 4.

#2 when was the last transmission fluid change?

#3 myself and a few other members added a cooler, but we never experienced symptoms like yours.

rickb928 Oct 4, 2013 11:34 AM

response

#1 You're right - typo. I meant 2-3, 3-4 shifts slip when hot.
#2 unknown, but it is clean and clear.
#3 I have not yet installed a cooler. This is about the transmission behavior, not a cooler, and how installing a cooler might help.

Thanks!

Green_Bandit Oct 4, 2013 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by rickb928 (Post 10973439)

How about I add a tranny cooler in fromt of the radiator, and keep the fluid cooler? Does that sound like, it would avoid the slow shift, and avoid working on this?

And yes, I know, 223K is a long ways for any slushbox, but I took a '95 Explorer from 168K to 212K with the ORIGINAL A/T, and that failed from a misdiagnosed EPC solenoid. The rebuild went for >100K before it was rolled in the desert. I'm not hard on cars.

Oh, and I need to replace the radiator soon anyways, so this is the time to add in the cooler.

Thanks!

Dude, you did ask about a cooler. What the hell are you talking about? {thumbdwn}

rickb928 Oct 4, 2013 09:07 PM

You wrote:

"#3 myself and a few other members added a cooler, but we never experienced symptoms like yours. "

So what did you mean by that? That you never had these symptoms with the tranny, so don't know if a cooler would help, or what?

I'm not trying to be annoying, but now I feel like I'm being grilled here for asking a question and typoing a line. If my question makes no sense, I apologize, and will back away.