Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.
View Poll Results: is it trouble free?
yes
58.82%
no
28.68%
don't know
12.50%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

trouble free lancers?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2002, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trouble free lancers?

is the lancer problem free or not?
Old Feb 12, 2002, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

Someone said that their 2nd gear was grinding erroneously. Find that guy.
Old Feb 16, 2002, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

i didnt say it (i dont think) but mione doese it too!!!! im mad as hell!!!!!:soapbox: damn mitsu parts dep. B*ST*RD'S:soapbox:
Old Feb 19, 2002, 09:46 PM

My Lancer does that too.....When warming up, (ie. 1500 rpms after start-up) when going from neutral to 1st and sometimes 1st to 2nd its rough and sometimes...but not often it grinds. My car has about 8000 miles on it and it was documented at my 1st service and everyone thereafter. The dealership claims they cannot find anything after a clutch adjustment at 2500mi and a shifter linkage adjustment at 7200 miles. DOCUMENT your problems at every service...even minor ones...It will cover your *** incase of failure...Thank God for warranties. It's the dealership's *** not ours....remember...if they screw it up...they are getting the car back in 3 to 4 years anyways...who has the better deal??
Old Feb 21, 2002, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, but we have all our teeth and a non-fruity accent...

OMG THATS SO FUNNY HAD ME LAUGHIN OFR AN HOUR THIS SITE IS SO FUNNY I CAN ALWAYS COME HERE FOR A GOOD LAUGH AT 6 IN THE MORNING
Old Feb 21, 2002, 08:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think it's still a little early to say, but (to join in the mass hysteria) I've noticed a little grinding and jumpiness in 2nd too...and I don't mean while shifting...I mean while driving. It's pretty much only between about 2-3,000 rpms, but I'm curious if this is similar/the same to the problems you other people have been having.

Do I smell a bit of a recall? ...Hope not...my old car's dead and I'm too lazy to go buy a new battery.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 09:42 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
had old lancer which was difficult to engage to 1st to 2nd gear from start-up but as engine gets warm no problems at all. Dealer told me it was the synchro, advised to use some additives which helped but was bulletproof otherwise. If your clutch is warped or the pressure plate is bent, it will have the same problem but should be difficult on all gears not just 2nd. Have you tried changing 1st to 2nd gear from start-up at 3000 rpm and above? There should be no problems but you wouldn't want to race your engine from start-up either!
Old Feb 22, 2002, 04:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

To further clarify...I live right near NYC so there's a decent amount of traffic (especially during rush hour). Driving on I-80 in heavy traffic is about as much fun as DIY tape worm removal. Trucks, busses, cars, the billions of SUVs, and heavy construction both east and westward bound on every section of NE Jersey. So I'm in slow traffic at least once a week on my way to and/or from school. So here's a common scenario:

The SUV that's inevitably in front of my brakes somewhat suddenly and, of course, I have no warning because I can't see THROUGH the damn thing due to its height. Naturally I have to stop somewhat quickly as well without much notice. So I'm going say...10-15...I shift into second and let up on the clutch. Now no matter how slowly or how quickly I let up I'll feel a slight tug on and movement of the shifter and the car may jerk slightly.

That's the problem I was essentially trying to describe in my previous post. Like I said...I'm not sure if this is similar to or the same problem other people are explaining, but it doesn't make sense to me and I sure as hell know I'm not just letting the clutch out too quickly because my sister's MX-6 is a LOT less forgiving and its second gear has NEVER done that to me. Any better?

Oh, and as far as shifting after 3,000 rpms...that's usually the case anyway because there's a lot of stop and go driving here and it doesn't make much sense for me to be in any sort of high gear for the vast majority of my driving.
Old Mar 1, 2002, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

10-15 mph might be a bit to low for 2nd...that's probably why you might get the tug. I'm usually around 20 for 2nd.
Old Mar 1, 2002, 12:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

When I accelerate I shift at about 18-20 and 3.5-4k rpms. When I'm in traffic and barely moving but not stop and go...it's all about second.
Old Mar 3, 2002, 05:03 AM

Ruff shift and grinding

Getting an intake and exhaust help to smooth out the joltiness when shifting quite a bit. The grinding from 1'st to 2nd is something else. I notice it too, but only before the car warms up. I have 2200 miles on my OZ. When am I supposed to bring it in for check up?
Old Mar 3, 2002, 07:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

They should have given you a booklet with all the scheduled tune ups, changes, etc. I'd say that's about the most accurate measure of when to take it back as anything. If not...just give your dealership a call. I'm sure they'll help you out.
Old Mar 3, 2002, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

my lancer...uhhh i always let it warm up for like 5 min b4 i drive it in the morning...i got remote start on it... and like i just start it...wait...and then when im leaving i get in...never had a grinding problem...and...cuz of intake... i can always hear my car going to 3rd rpm...so never had much of a jolt either... but...if there are more problems....tell me... cuz i have 7000 miles on my car...and no problems yet....
Old Mar 4, 2002, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

hey yellow arent we talkin aboput manual cars? how can you jhave auto start on a manual? if your auto trany is grindin you shoul;d throw tha car back in thyere face cause something is seriusly messed up
Old Mar 5, 2002, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

eTronicOZ
As far as the Check up be careful with the mods you got on ur car....RRM intake and exhaust might void ur warranty on ur new Lancer......I got lucky with my Injen intake......maybe they didnt notice but when talking to the sales manager at my gay *** dealership ( he was bein a dick) he told me that any aftermarket part will void my warranty, my dealership does not handle RMR products so I can not count on a parts with a warranty such as the RMR exhaust......so watch out when doing that oil change or having belts adjusted or brakes cuz if they dont like ur intake or something....its easy as snap to loose ur warranty.....Peace

Quick Reply: trouble free lancers?