Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Installing anti fouler on O2 sensor.. where is it?

Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing anti fouler on O2 sensor.. where is it?

So I got the 18mm anti fouler and drilled it out, then I got under my car and was looking at the cat and I don't see a sensor anywhere. Is it on top or something? Also just to double check I am supposed to install this thing on the o2 sensor that is attached to the cat and not the o2 sensor going into the header right?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, unscrew the one that is near the cat, you should see the wires coming off of it
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Thats the thing though, I'm under my car with a light and looking at the cat (which is immediately after the wierd flattened piece of metal on the exhaust line) and I dont see any wires on the driver or passenger side, let along a bung or sensor of any type. Where is it supposed to be?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I found it, I didnt see it hiding above that lip. So how in the hell do you get it off?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

You need 2 wrenches one to holdon to the o2 sensor the other to hold on to the Exhaust it self. I would recommend using some Pb blaster or wd40 on the bolt first to maybe loosen it. Then take it off. I also recommend using anti-sieze when putting it back on..
Old Feb 26, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

All the wrenches I'm trying are still slipping because I can't see to get a good angle on it. Should I be comming from the drivers side or the front of the car? It is an 18mm isn't it? And I don't understand the two wrench thing, like use one to keep the exhaust from moving while I'm loosening the bolt? One more question, what is anti-sieze?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

OK, well me and my friend have spent over two hours trying to get the o2 sensor off and it's not happening. What are the other options? At this point I would pay the $50 to get a mil eliminator (I don't want an 02 sim). There is only one angle that the wrench will go around the sensor and I put another wrench up against it and was hitting it with a hammer and it wouldn't budge. Anyone know specifically where I can get the eliminator? The thing on RRM's site is basically the same thing I have in my garage that I can't put on.... Oh, and someone please tell the o2 sensor is NOT reverse threaded (in other words: the wrench should be pushing towards the front of the car)

Last edited by Offender; Feb 28, 2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

if you were pushing toward the front of the car, wouldn't that be tightening a regularly threated bolt? I may be wrong, but you're working upside down, right?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

if your looking at the bolt turn it counter clockwise to loosen. c'mon guys lol.
oh and when i was trying to get mines off it kept slipping. But thats cuz i was using an adjustable wrench. Spray it with wd-40 and let it soak for like ten minutes, then spray it again and wait another ten.. Make sure its cold when you loosen it. Its much easier.
i know the angle is kinda weird so i ended up bending the lip around the cat to get a better angle. maybe try that?...
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by newbiewonkenobe
if you were pushing toward the front of the car, wouldn't that be tightening a regularly threated bolt? I may be wrong, but you're working upside down, right?

I still maintain he's twisting the wrong way. . . .
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

No, as long as it isn't reverse threaded I'm going the right way, I was saying push towards the car because the wrench was on top of the sensor. I think I'm going to just take the cat off and try that, because I cut my hand up something wicked on that exhaust guard above the cat.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

And I can't even take the cat off.... I sprayed it down with wd40 several times, waited until it was cold and was moving the entire exhaust line trying to get these bolts off, anyone else have ones that look like this? I'm just taking it to a shop tomorrow because I've already spent too much time on this....
Attached Thumbnails Installing anti fouler on O2 sensor.. where is it?-bolt-1.jpg   Installing anti fouler on O2 sensor.. where is it?-bolt-2.jpg  
Old Mar 1, 2006, 01:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Well, if it wasn't oil-soaked I'd say to heat it up.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Update: I took my car to a shop and told them what I wanted. They wanted $150 just to take the bolts out of the cat, they are totally rusted through. Anothe shop said they'd have to cut them out and couldn't say how much would have to be replaced. Apparently when I tried to get the O2 sensor out the first time I rounded the sensor off a bit. I'm not even going to worry about it, I've worked way too hard on this rusted POS exhuast line.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Lol, I had to wrestle with the stock exhaust too when I was installing my greddy cat back. My head almost blew off!