Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

HELP HELP HELP - water in engine!!

Old Oct 17, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP HELP HELP - water in engine!!

brief synopsis: over the weekend i did a "tune up" changed my CAI air filter, spark plugs, oil change...

well drivin home after work today, and ther was a puddle, so i costed threw it...no big deal...well, 10 sec. later down the road my car start kinda makin a popin noise like it was backfireing, so i let off the gas, then it cut off...so i try to turn it on twice and it turned on then shut right off

so the third time it did come on,,...so i was drivin home again, and then it happened again it just kinda backfired, but it didn't cut off

so i called my brother, he said i may have water in engine, and ot drain oil

so i drained my oil which looked kinda thin, before doin so i checked the oil and you can see where it was thin, and clear..like water was in there.

CAI - the air filter i bought for it had a bigger whole than my normal one, but i thought i tightened it pretty tight, so i went to checkit, and it was still loose and pulled off with minimal force.....on the inside of the filter you could see water, and it ws wet in the CAI pipe.....

is ther anything i should worry about? or i should change the filter to a more secure filter, keep the CAI, and change the oil???help help help
Old Oct 17, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

anyone??
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

you're supposed to buy a bypass valve.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

search for hydrolock ...... you f'ed up kinda bad

Last edited by PGDlancer; Oct 17, 2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

You should always have tight fit between the filter and the piping. Hydrolock is a biatch my friend...
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

F*ck
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:37 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and that is why................ i will never own a CAI. lol esspecially in this wonderful florida rain
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

yep thats why i changed from cai to short ram. you may still be ok. change your oil, maybe your plugs, get rid of your cai, and pray no damage was done

sorry thats too bad though
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

damn man that sucks.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Change the oil. Then remove your plugs/disconnect the coil packs. Turn the engine over. If there is water in the block, it should spray out the plug holes. After turning it over, and the plugs have dried out, replace them, reconnect coil packs and start the car up. Rev it high for a bit to burn out any remaining water. You should be okay after that.

I know you know now, but to reiterate it for those not awares, if you drive with a CAI, AVOID ALL PUDDLES! You never know how deep it may really be and you don't want this to happen to you. If you can't avoid puddles, or want to feel safer, you can install the AEM or Injen Bypass Valve. This requires cutting the intake pipe in half to insert the valve, but it will prevent the engine from sucking up water.

On that note, I've driven with a CAI for 2.5 years now with out a single problem. Yes I drive in the rain, I am just careful.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

That was an excellent suggestion "Z"

on a related note to anyone else who has yet to experience the joys of hydrolock. if anything similar to this happens to you, DO NOT TRY TO START YOUR CAR.

if your engine stops because it ingests water, then you are already facing potentially serious damage, dont make it worse. trying to start a hydrolocked engine is like taking your internals and beating them with a sledge hammer.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Another reason to get a sri...
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:08 AM

Dude if you sucked water into the air filter, it isn't your oil you have to be worry about. Okay think about it, AIR/FUEL mixture, outside air going into the cylinders to make the 14.7/1 ratio needed to fire the pistons. So by sucking water, you now have water/gas and air . Take out the spark plugs, and check there condition. Next stick a tube connected to a syphin into each spark plug hole, and see if you have any remaining water in the cylinder head. Hopefully, you didn't screw anything up. HTH
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:11 AM

One other thing, If you do have water in your oil, dude you did screw up the engine. But it will be antifreeze mixed in and should like throw up. If you have been a very good boy and changed your oil on time or ahead of time, then it can look very clean. Old engines that have not been taken care of will get the blacken oil. My son's 92 MR2 had very clean oil all the time. But he is **** when it comes to oil changes.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

well, my babies runnin fine...i changed the oil, took off the cai because i had the wrong filter size, i drove all threw the rain last year with out any issues, looks like though RRMs pipe is very small and i bought a 3" air filter for it...but i converted to SRI fo rnow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP HELP HELP - water in engine!!