Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

fog light cheap glass

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fog light cheap glass

Has anyones fog light glass cracked on them?

My lancer is 2days old and the glass is already cracked leaving the bulb exposed. I'm still breaking it in too not going above 100km... What kinda cheap glass is that? Even the other side is weak, you can tell by just tapping on it lightly that its weak.

Is there any recall on this that anyone knows?

Thanks,
Old Sep 3, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

I dont know if there was a recall, take it to the dealership and have them look into it before u rack up miles. Other than that my glass is still good as new I have ~1800 miles had it since July.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have fog lights on my ES, and I can't offer anything about cheap glass, but I've got a related question: Has anyone found fog lights ever to be useful? I bought a new Dodge Shadow ES back in '93; it had fog lights. From '97 to this summer I drove a Porsche 944, and it had fog lights. I drove both cars on numerous occasions in both light and heavy fog, and never did the fog lights to anything to significantly add to my visibility. I could see them come on, but they added very little to what the low beams already offered.

Unless someone can attest to the fact that the Lancer fog lights actually do anything useful, you might consider just replacing busted fog lights with the black inserts standard on the ES.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 06:34 AM

I've had my car for 5 months already and my fogs look like new... no problem at all.. yet
Old Sep 4, 2007, 07:37 AM
Former Sponsor

to be honest with you, the fog light is pretty useless your better off getting better focused after market fog light system. I am sure you can utilize the wires in there. its cheaper for you to buy a PIAA set give it to the dealer to install or who ever you trust with electrical.

I find the Fog light beam is just a wide beam, which is good for give you a clear near vision view of the road. but you want something that projects forward.
or I highly suggest getting a YELLOW bulb for your fogs. that light will project well.
and looks good in the stock housing.

I am buying YELLOW low beams and yellow fogs. it looks sick
Old Sep 4, 2007, 08:20 PM

So I went to my dealership and another one for another opinion. Both of them gave me the same BS.

"If a stone hit it then it's not covered under warranty."

But WTF else would hit it? Feathers??!?!? Like isn't the glass supposed to withstand that kind of impact? I've had 3 or 4 other cars with stock fog lights and even aftermartket ones and I've never had this happen.

This is BS
Old Sep 4, 2007, 08:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shinobee1
So I went to my dealership and another one for another opinion. Both of them gave me the same BS.

"If a stone hit it then it's not covered under warranty."

But WTF else would hit it? Feathers??!?!? Like isn't the glass supposed to withstand that kind of impact? I've had 3 or 4 other cars with stock fog lights and even aftermartket ones and I've never had this happen.

This is BS
to be fair to both sides. on this, if you were running a dealership and somoene made the same claim, would you so easily replace it. Its easy to say the dealer is full of ****, and i agree on alot of things they are. But they are just Dealers, if you can go to Mitsubishi and prove to them there is a flaw then you might get a replacement. I suggest trying to get them to come half way, maybe split the cost . They get the parts at a whole sale price of course, maybe they can cut you a break on the replacement. just keep a cool head. But again i think your better off getting a PIAA kit, i think it would look great in that housing space.

Either way, hope you can get something from the dealer
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not like foglights are breaking left and right. You got unlucky. That's the way of the world.