Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

car washing in winter

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car washing in winter

its - 17 degrees here. but theres ice buildup behind my tire and killing my tires when i turn. i want to wash my car at a gas station.

will the difference in temperature damage my car?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't you just kick it off or something if it's on the inner wheel well. If it's on paint then i'd try to do it with some type of a defroster vs. a hot bucket of water. I wouldn't think rapid expansion/contraction of paint/body panels is very good for paint. Especially Mitsushi**y paint.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:25 AM

i would kick it off if i could

but its frozen like a rock... a very cold rock lol. yeah the paint on our cars SUCK! i think they decided to go with almost no clear coat and urgh!!! its just bad paint
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

If it's that frozen and it's not on paint take a hammer and a chissel and decided on who's face to sculpt.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smoke
its - 17 degrees here. but theres ice buildup behind my tire and killing my tires when i turn. i want to wash my car at a gas station.

will the difference in temperature damage my car?
Just kick off the buildup but try not to kick the car. Makes no sense to wash it, let it go until the temperature picks up.

If u are going to wash it, use warm water. Do not use hot water. The hot water will sometimes crack the window or windows. Trust me, I've done it.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

i used to work/manage a carwash fulltime and now work randomly at it and during the winter time all we use is hot water and never once have i seen an issue with it. hot water mixes with the soaps and waxes better and is needed for getting the frozen snow and dirt off cars. i only wash my car in the self service bays myself, i would recomend doing that and just taking the high pressure gun and blasting out your wheels and wheel wells and if you are worried about it i would wait on it to warm up a bit before you wash your whole car. and when you say -17 are you talking in celcius i hope? if so then i would not worry about it at all. wouldn't that be like 15 degrees farenheit or am i off?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:21 PM

yeah its celcius. the other day it got to -20. the problem is that the car is lowered.. so ther eis less space for ice.. the ice builds up and just gets bigger. turning into other lanes is fine.

but when i make a left on a intersection or go into a parking spot.. i hear a crazy loud scraping sound of my tires on the ice. and its FROZEN. today the tempurature was only -7. so i went to get a car wash and i got all the ice off

but only time will tell (2 weeks) when it'l be back
Old Jan 11, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

I'll just use a stick to clear up the wheel wells.