Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

'09 Rockford Fosgate subwoofer rattle/banging

Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 Rockford Fosgate subwoofer rattle/banging

Just bought a 2009 GTS with Sun and Sound. I had a 2009 previously for 18 months with the same package (traded it in for the new one which has M/T). I've noticed that the subwoofer in the trunk rattles (bangs?) in a way that is very different from the way my old car did.

It's gonna be hard for me to describe the problem, but here goes...

The sound in my old car was perfect. The woofer had a very deep sound that did not seem to vibrate more than what it should. In my new car, the woofer seems like it's punching waaaay too much (Punch level is 3 or 4, bass is at default "middle" setting"). The "drum" (for lack of knowledge of the actual term) with the Rockford logo on it vibrates immensely when it's punching out bass, and I don't think my other one did that even if I had the bass turned all the way up.

I know the person who had the vehicle before listened to a lot of hip-hop music, and probably had the bass turned up waaaay too high. Fortunately, that kind of music isn't my cup of tea. The car has 30k miles on it, and so did my other one. Is there any way the subwoofer could be partially blown? If so, am I correct in my belief that it's covered under warranty (3 years?)?

I'd be more than willing to post a video of it the next time I can get in the trunk if that aids my question...I'm not sure if I described it well at all...
Old Mar 24, 2010, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

I have about 17k on mine and I was fairly hard on my sub. It did blow and mitsu replaced it under warranty with no trouble. Take it into the dealership they should know almost right away if its blown or what the issue is.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:13 PM

Ya it sounds like the sub is going out, like nathan said, take it to the dealer and have them check it while you still have a warrenty on it
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3 year audio warranty (at least in Canada)
Old May 1, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CamShaft
3 year audio warranty (at least in Canada)
10 yr // 100,000 bumper to bumper on mine(includes audio system)
Old Jun 5, 2010, 03:42 PM

Sorry it's taken me so long to update this.

Long story short: I got the subwoofer and amp replaced under warranty from my dealership. They told me that, just as I suspected, the woofer was partially blown out.
The replacement sounds even better than the one in my other car, and my Rockford system is back to normal.

Apparently the RADIO itself (head unit, etc.- I have the MMCS so I'm not sure if the 6 CD head unit fits under this or not) is covered under a 10 year/60000 mile warranty, but the SPEAKERS/Woofer are covered under a 5 year/35000 mile warranty, at least that's what I remember them telling me.

Just figured I'd close the loop on this so it's documented if others have the same issue.