Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

HVAC - Blend Doors - Possible Solution?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HVAC - Blend Doors - Possible Solution?

Hello everyone,

I was doing some research this weekend, and I wanted to toss out an idea to the group before I consider trying it. I found a TSB for a 1990's Chrysler Minivan that listed drilling a small hole in the hvac box near the blend door, spraying a small amount of lubricant, and plugging the hole with a cap. This was listed as the remedy for the blend door issue.

On my wife's Lancer, in an act of desperation in cold weather, I sprayed some lubricant that tested to be plastic safe, down the center console vents (with the car off). After about 5 minutes, I worked the temperature knob back and fourth for a minute or so. Since I did that two years ago, her temp control remains easier to adjust than any other lancer I have been in.

On my lancer, which has always been OK with adjusting the temperature, it was very tight the other morning, and I snapped the knob. So, I will need to replace that. However, before that, I am considering doing a similar spray lubricant treatment.

However, I wanted to first get some feedback from the group regarding this strange potential fix.

I don't recall the lubricant I used, but the TSB I saw recommended white lithium spray. I did use a long spray tube when I did my wife's car - as I wanted to be somewhat sure lubricant would go all the way down and not drip through onto her stereo or any other sensitive circuitry.

Does anyone recall the layout of the HVAC box? Maybe a suggestion as to where I could try to put a small hole without damaging the heater core or anything else?

Final question, then I will leave this novel alone. I have an 05 ES, and my wife has an 03 OZ. For the 05, I have seen temperature controls for sale on ebay for around $50-70, but they all say 06 and 07 ES models. I would think that the part would work, if it works in an 06 ES with AC. Any experience there?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 06:34 AM

Two years ago, the dealership fixed the blend door, gears and cables under warranty. Two years later, now no warranty, and the whole thing is binding up again.

I am hoping that the solution I am suggesting may be more of a permanent fix than the dealer's solution. Even if it does require periodic re-lubrication.

Here is the link to what I referred to above regarding drilling a small hole: http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl002a.htm

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am really interested!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:46 PM

I'm heading out to the junkyard tomorrow to try to get a better look at the innards of our HVAC systems and the blend doors. Hopefully this will give me a better feel for where to spray or drill and spray to try this out. Anyone have any spare HVAC temperature controls?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:46 AM

Did the trip tp the junk yard pay off? Im thinking of doing the same and have been looning at locaion of blend door on rlation to the gears on the outside.
let me know thansk