Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Gasoline Smell

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gasoline Smell

Hello all, After filling up my lancer (completely full) in notice a strong odour of gas but I cannot see any leaks on the drive way.

I have notice that if I fill the tank empty to half full, or 3/4 full I do not get the same smell, only if I fill to the brim (the nozel clicking off), I get a gasoline smell.

I do not see any leaks and the gas cap is new but didnt make a difference.

Any ideas?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 02:23 PM

Do you smell it inside of the car or only outside? Is your Lancer completely stock?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 03:30 AM

Hello only leaks and smells outside. Only if I fill up completely.. If its 3/4 or less then no smell. I suspect a leak or crack in the filler pipe somewhere.

The car is stock.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:22 AM

I'm no expert, but the first thing I'd do is check to see if your fuel pump is seated properly and that all the seals are still good.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:18 PM

I had the same exact problem, see if your fuel sending unit nuts are not tighten down all the way. once i tightened mine down it does not smell anymore and also do you the fuel pump nuts too.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Go underneath the car, clean the gas tank with something like brake cleaner. Then fill the tank, then go underneath again and look for moisture or where the gas is wetting down the side of the tank. If it is coming from the top somewhere you'll have to drop the tank to find the crack - is it beginning to rust out?

Had a Subaru with identical problem. Was a small crack at the top of gas tank due to corrosion. No matter what I sprayed on there to try to seal it it didn't work. Almost impossible to get the old tank off due to all the rusty fasteners and straps and stuff, so just junked the car.

Last edited by RalliartN; Jan 14, 2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:14 PM

Hey guys can you tell me how you accessed the bolts of the fuel pump? Did you remove the backseat? I would like to try that before going towards a new (refurbished) tank.

Friske: can you give me some details how to do the bolt tightening? I ve got time this weekend and a heated garage so I would try that before the option B (I dont want to get rid of the car.. just dropped a 1000 into it0

Thank you again guys
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:38 PM

So you remove the back seat just lift on the front of the seat and pull up, once you pull out the seat you will see two covers. The big black one is for the fuel pump and the smaller one to the right or left (which ever way you are in the car) is the fuel sending unit. You will need a ratchet, 8mm socket (short or long), and a Philips head screw driver. Let's start with the fuel pump. Take your Philip head screw driver and take out the 4 screws, once you do that take off the cover and tighten down the bolts with your ratchet. Now for the fuel sending unit, you only need the ratchet with the 8mm socket for this guy. Take off the cover. And tighten down the bolts. This solved my gasoline smell issue because the bolts were not tight at all. And also check the gaskets for both the fuel pump and fuel sending units. I provides some pictures hopefully it will help! Good luck man! (:
Attached Thumbnails Gasoline Smell-image-1384124335.jpg   Gasoline Smell-image-1613598212.jpg   Gasoline Smell-image-2931486385.jpg   Gasoline Smell-image-2315919298.jpg  
Old Jan 15, 2014, 03:33 AM

Amazing, thank you. Pics will be very helpful. I ll post my progress this weekend.

Thank you
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:24 AM

No problem Man! If you need any help just give me a pm or reply on this thread! Also on the fuel pump bolts. Some are hard to get too just so you know. It's a pain but you can get them tight