Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Engine codes discovered today - looking for some guidance

Old Apr 30, 2017, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine codes discovered today - looking for some guidance

Hey all,

Been lurking here for a long time but never really had a reason to post until today. I have a 2010 Lancer ES and have recently had a few dash lights come on. I had the codes pulled and this is what I've got and what I understand them to mean.

P0420 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold Bank 1

This one I've interpreted to be an O2 sensor problem after doing a bunch of searching and reading. The fact that it states "Bank 1" makes me believe this.. however, looking @ O2 sensors online for purchase, the distinctions are generally "Bank 1, Sensor 1" or "Bank 1, Sensor 2" as well as "Upstream" or "Downstream." Unfortunately there was no other information on the code/scan to offer or point me in any specific direction. I'd love to have access to a service manual to see if I can uncover any more information on this.

P1773 - No DTC definition found. See service manual

This one appears to be related to my ABS/ASC lights/indicators that are also on. For a time, these lamps and the service engine light would all go off and come back on their own randomly. I noticed no change in how the car handled or drove at all whether or not these lights were on or off. Based on what I've read on this one, it is likely due to one of the ABS wheel speed sensors going bad, as this is apparently common on these as they fail for "no apparent reason." Unfortunately again, there is zero distinction on on the scan/message that indicates which wheel sensor it is, and they're all separate. I would love to have access to a service manual to see if there is a rather simple or easy way to check/determine which sensor it is that may have gone bad.

Living where I do, I unfortunately do not have a Mitsubishi dealership anywhere nearby - and the closest one is a state over (in North Carolina). I can imagine stuff like this would likely cost me an arm and a leg to have a dealership diagnose and repair.

I'd love to know if anyone has any insight that could help me out here, or even if you know of a place I could purchase a legit service manual for my vehicle online. I was always told to avoid the haynes manuals (even though they're probably the easiest to acquire) in favor of an actual MFG service manual. I'm not sure if the service manual would offer much more assistance in getting this figured out, but it's one of those things that's always good to have or refer to for any other future issues it may have.

Thanks for reading and for any help or advice you might be able to provide.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 07:36 AM

My 2011 Lancer ES also has the same problem concerning the code P1773.

Were you able to figure out what the problem is. I was told it's due to the alternator going bad. Battery checks out okay.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 07:36 AM

Code p1773 with ABS deactivated and Asc deactivated

I have a 2012 Sportback GT WITH this problem too.i recently replaced the transmission and motor. Only modifications I have are coil overs,strut bar,short ram,voltage regulator,straight axle pipe and a amp and sub. Has anybody figured this out? Also My Asc would activate out of nowhere when driving past 30mph.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 01:03 PM

You have to use a professional scan tool to tell you which wheel speed sensor is bad