Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

HID problem on my Lancer!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID problem on my Lancer!!

Hi everyone! I just made this account and im new to Forums so this is my first forum account! Figured you guys might know what's going on with my car.

Anyways, im having trouble with my HID lights i just installed on my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS trim. I recently installed a Wiring harness relay to the hids because the HIDs kept blowing out my fuses. I thought by buying the harness, the problem im having would go away, along with the fuses blowing.

So the problem. Whenever I try to turn on my lights on after the engine is on, the hids will not turn on. I LITERALLY have to turn them on before i start the car and it's really annoying and frustrating. I figured it has something to do with the Daytime Running lights. Someone at the HID shop i got the lights at told me to just pull DRL fuse out and it should work but nothing. Any idea guys? Im very forgetful of turning on my lights before i turn the engine off. If i forget, i have to turn off the car and turn on the lights .. Then turn the car back on. This is really annoying.
any help appreciated!!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you have 2 options

1. Leave the lights set to "low beam" and not DRL. (free)
2. Get a DRL bypass
The problem is the DRL feature the lancer has. Having HIDs while running DRL causes the hids to flicker and sometimes pop fuses. Option 2 bypasses the DRL completely rather than a finicky relay trying to make DRL act as low beam which is what seems to be happening. The lancer does not have a DRL fuse that you can remove.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by SYSTEMA
you have 2 options

1. Leave the lights set to "low beam" and not DRL. (free)
2. Get a DRL bypass
The problem is the DRL feature the lancer has. Having HIDs while running DRL causes the hids to flicker and sometimes pop fuses. Option 2 bypasses the DRL completely rather than a finicky relay trying to make DRL act as low beam which is what seems to be happening. The lancer does not have a DRL fuse that you can remove.

What do you mean by leave the lights set to low beam?
And isn't the DRL bypass the same thing as a wiring harness? That's what I'm seeing on amazon when I search it. It's sending me to the same harness I already bought. So if that's the case, I might be at a dead end. So far the lights haven't blown a fuse since I've installed the harness. It's just i can't get them to turn on after the car is on. My GTS for some reason does have the DRL fuse. Its slot 13. I'll attach a photo of the manual.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's three positions on the steering column light switch. Position 1 is just drl. Position 2 is drl and parking/city lights. The last position is the low beam with the parking/city lights. Keeping it on the last position should fix the issue even without the drl bypass or relay. The difference between drl and low beam is the wattage. Drl's run at a lower wattage and thus shine dimmer than the low beam. This is fine for the stock halogen bulbs but not for hids since hids don't really have a "dim" mode. So when you're in position 1 or 2 you are using the lower drl wattage to run the hids. Keeping it on the 3rd position keeps the at the required spec to keep the hids happy.

Most drl harnesses just make the the drl act as low beam. So positions 1 and 2 will operate at low beam. Its as effective as keeping the light switch set to low beam but just cost money. A drl bypass disables the drl completely. So pos.1 will be all lights off (no dim drl), pos.2 will be parking/city lights on (still no drl), pos.3 will be parking/city lights on with low beam. No lower wattage drl what so ever. The JROX drl bypass is the only harness that i know of that actually disables the drl. JROX is a member of this forum and many others. My theory with what is happening with your relay harness is the drl wattage with the car off is just enough to light the hids AND for some reason the harness is not making the drl run at low beam wattage. When you start the engine there's a voltage drop because the starter is now putting a load on the battery. That drop is probably enough to trip the relay and it won't reset till you turn off the car. Can't say for sure with out playing with it in person.

Idk about that drl fuse. iirc it doesn't disable the drl's and just stops the lights from turning on at all. It works for lancers and evo with stock hids since the drl on those is actually a separate bulb but not lancers with halogens.

Just see what keeping the light switch on position 3 (low beam) does and go from there.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by SYSTEMA
There's three positions on the steering column light switch. Position 1 is just drl. Position 2 is drl and parking/city lights. The last position is the low beam with the parking/city lights. Keeping it on the last position should fix the issue even without the drl bypass or relay. The difference between drl and low beam is the wattage. Drl's run at a lower wattage and thus shine dimmer than the low beam. This is fine for the stock halogen bulbs but not for hids since hids don't really have a "dim" mode. So when you're in position 1 or 2 you are using the lower drl wattage to run the hids. Keeping it on the 3rd position keeps the at the required spec to keep the hids happy.

Most drl harnesses just make the the drl act as low beam. So positions 1 and 2 will operate at low beam. Its as effective as keeping the light switch set to low beam but just cost money. A drl bypass disables the drl completely. So pos.1 will be all lights off (no dim drl), pos.2 will be parking/city lights on (still no drl), pos.3 will be parking/city lights on with low beam. No lower wattage drl what so ever. The JROX drl bypass is the only harness that i know of that actually disables the drl. JROX is a member of this forum and many others. My theory with what is happening with your relay harness is the drl wattage with the car off is just enough to light the hids AND for some reason the harness is not making the drl run at low beam wattage. When you start the engine there's a voltage drop because the starter is now putting a load on the battery. That drop is probably enough to trip the relay and it won't reset till you turn off the car. Can't say for sure with out playing with it in person.

Idk about that drl fuse. iirc it doesn't disable the drl's and just stops the lights from turning on at all. It works for lancers and evo with stock hids since the drl on those is actually a separate bulb but not lancers with halogens.

Just see what keeping the light switch on position 3 (low beam) does and go from there.

Oh gotcha! I went brain dead for a sec. Lol. So leaving the light switch on low beams. Got it. I know if i leave it on 3 the car will automatically shut the lights off when i shut the car off so the battery dying is not a problem. Another night went by and the fuses are still good. No blown fuses yet so the harness must be doing something right. You're probably right about the starter putting a load on the battery. That makes sense on why i cant turn them on after the engine is on. I might just have to invest into a better harness later on.

I'll just leave the lights on 3 for now and not mess with it.. It's just an OCD thing for me. I'm used to turning on the car and then turning on the light switch before i put it in drive. Thanks for the reply and all your help! I really appreciate it. Have a great day ☺