Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Sputtering.. some kind of misfire??

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2004, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok- so yesterday I was washing my car and I let it idle while washing. I could hear a sputter out of the exhaust note. It gradually got woirse auntil the car died. It started right back up no problem. I went to the store and while I was sitting at a light the car started to idle like ****. Hit the gas-- sputter, sputter, sputter, then it kicked in and I took off. THis sucks. So I went home reset the the ecu. Seems to do alright so I forgot about it. THis morning I left and as soon at the choke died down- same ****, nothing but sputters,and then it hits and goes fine. High RPMS no problem. but low end is terrible. I checked my pb and it is fine, I soldered the wires on install, pulled all the plugs out and they look fine, I cleaned and regapped and installed, I also did a compression test since I installed the JE's myself, I always check my compression when I got the plugs out. Compression was 160 across the board with three revolutions. So wtf is it? I looked at the defrost, but it was off and I never run my air- gas is too high and its not hot enough here yet. I did install a mil eleiminator last week and I am at 275 miles and no CEL, but now I have got this problem. My cel came on with the header about 250 miles. I am wondering if this in the problem. I will let you know, do you have a mil eliminator? are you throw a CEL? SO today I reset the ecu again and I am doing the learning process all over with the rrm pg, dont know if you have too , seems like you should since I reset the ecu, if you find out anymore let me know.
Old May 26, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

herm....allot of people have this problem when running the RRM piggy....Now i dont know if i want it anymore.

On a side note, When my girlfriend's car was doing stupid stuff like this it all came down to when she washed the motor she got water in the sparkplugs. Heh. Mabie that is your problem.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Well after putting the NGK plugs in, after a while it seemed to start the same thing over, now its the same. So something is making the plugs go bad or something, I am ordering the Magnecore wires from RRM and hopefully its just something with the wires. Might try and get new coil packs or something.

Also, I have taken my PB out, hopefully after the piggyback came out it didn't screw it up.

This is for RRM: Is there any special way to take off the PB, all I did was unhook the wires and the let my car idle again after the pb was out.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

I switched the plugs around and it worked a little bit, seems like its one cylinder is burning the plug up or something or something is making one of the plugs go bad... either it is running rich or lean.

All I have is the header, intake, and exhaust and haven't seen anyone else's cars doing that with the same mods.

After installing and uninstalling the PB from RRM, could that have messed up the air/fuel stuff and it is not giving or giving to much air?

After taking out the PB, is there a certain way I have to reset the ECU? I did it by unplugging the battery for 10 minutes. It is weird though when I reset the ECU then turn my car back on.. it does the high rev like as if I were installing the PB. Could the PB have messed up my computer?

If so, that would suck, a new ECU would probably be expensive, unless someone wants to sell me a auto one from a wrecked lancer.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Another thing, when I turn on the A/C it acts up worse. Not sure if that could figure anything out.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 02:45 PM

Any time you reset the ECU it should rev up that is natural. Take your car in for a compression test, and put stock NGK plugs back in, these cars don't really like platnium plugs. Also what are you running, 87 octaine gas if not try swiching back to 87 mine gets really bogged when I run 93.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 02:22 PM

My Lancer is doing the same thing, I have intake, headers, and exhaust. I haven't changed anything in the last few months so I have no clue what is wrong. I got new spark plugs like 2 months ago when i had my oil changed so i don't think either of those is the problem. If anyone has had this problem and got it fixed let us know.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man funny as soon as i read your first post i said spark plugs to bad i didnt see it before
Old Jun 19, 2004, 04:10 PM

my car is doing the same thing. I thought it was the spark plugs too but when i got them changed it didnt stop. the other day i was accelerating full throttle and when i shifted into second the engine felt like it was going to die and i heard a loud sputter and then the service engine soon light came on but it turned off by itself like 5 minutes later. wierd huh? if you guys find out how to fix this problem please let me know
Old Jun 19, 2004, 04:21 PM

hey guys my car was doing the same thing you guys are talking about i took out the injectors, had them cleanded, thought it was the gas, everything, went thru sets of sparkplugs and then well i found that there were small cracks in the boots for my coil packs they just slide off and you can see them from the dealer they are only 14 each and after i changed those car ran better than ever. Look into that, its just a simple black boot if you guys need a pick ill post one to show you what they look like. With the coil part off
Old Jun 20, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

That would be cool for a pic. And the coil packs are $14 each? Or just the part of that needing replaced (the boot)? Did they have them in stock? Also, your injectors were fine, it wasn't them? Sorry for all the q's.

It might be that, because I put the Magnecor wires on the 2 cylinders and that didn't help, so it's probably a cylinder with a coil pack on it.

Last edited by pumpdog720; Jun 20, 2004 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

I was thinking, I don't think it would be the boot and cracked, because if I change the spark plugs, it works fine for a week or 2 then goes bad again. I think if there was a crack in the boot, that no matter what the plugs were, new or old, that it would do that.

There are probably many thing that oculd be causing the problem, I just didn't want to take it to a mechanic. Do you think the dealership could work on a car that is modified like mine, or should I take it to just a universal mechanic?
Old Jun 20, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi will galdly work on your modded car but, you will have to pay plenty for the troubleshooting.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm.. I did either 2 things that might have fixed it.

I tightened down my valve cover a little. I did this because I painted my vavle cover a hwile ago, and I might not have tightened it down enough. (Not suppose to tighten it too tight.)

I also put in some complete fuel system cleaner. (Cleans ports, pistons, injectors, valves, everything.) So that might have been the trick. It is STP Complete Fuel System cleaner, you can get at Pep Boys.

It is starting to get more and more better. So hopefully the cleaner fixed it.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Well it didn't fully fix it. But I'm pretty sure I narrowed it down with sometinhg to do with it not getting enough fuel or something.

How often is the fuel filter suppose to be changed on the lancer? And can these be bought through like Discount Auto Parts. And where is it located, I've never seen it before on this car.

So 51k miles and no fuel filter change... is that bad? Could that eb the problem?

Quick Reply: Sputtering.. some kind of misfire??