EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Troubleshooting (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting-60/)
-   -   Need Help Passing Emissions (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting/138215-need-help-passing-emissions.html)

livelyjay May 10, 2005 04:58 AM

Need Help Passing Emissions

1 Attachment(s)
I just failed emissions for Nothern Virginia. Attached is a bmp of the results. Please, any tips or tricks to pass emissions would be very helpful. I have a 2003 Lancer OZ with RRM stage 1 kit. I was having problems with the ECU throwing a "Too Rich Condition" code up in NY, so I also have an O2 simulator. The air filter might also need to be replaced, but I didn't think that would really affect emissions. Thanks.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...chmentid=65165

Danno May 10, 2005 05:40 AM

Change your oil (use synthetic) Change/clean your air filter. Go to sunoco and use their Ultra 94 gas. Take out your stupid MIL eliminator for your cat and fix that properly.

Drive the car a bit before you go on so the Cat is hot. It will run cleaner. The engine should run better when it is properly warmed up aswell.

Put your stock muffler back on your car.

Thats all I can think of right now.

livelyjay May 10, 2005 06:00 AM

Can't use synthetic oil because of the turbo, or it has been suggested to not use it. And my oil isn't even dirty right now. I'll try going with the 94 octane if it's available around here, and I'll also try pulling the O2 Sim and resetting the ECU. Hopefully the engine light won't come on. Also, I don't think an axle-back exhaust would bother emissions at all. I could be wrong though.

Any other tips/tricks?

redozrally May 10, 2005 06:46 AM

thick oil and drive for an hour b4 the test + wut dano said clean ur air filter and get better gas...
theres something u spray into ur IM where the vacuum lines are...
supposed to clean up the internals or something...
a friend used it to pass emissions, his car came out cleaner than some of the newer cars....
but I dunno wut its called

HobieKopek May 10, 2005 06:48 AM

Hand the guy $50's and go to the local gas station, not a state center. Reduces emissions instantly. :cough:

redozrally May 10, 2005 06:49 AM

^lol or you can do that...
under the table always works.... :D {thumbup}

livelyjay May 10, 2005 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by redozrally
thick oil and drive for an hour b4 the test + wut dano said clean ur air filter and get better gas...
theres something u spray into ur IM where the vacuum lines are...
supposed to clean up the internals or something...
a friend used it to pass emissions, his car came out cleaner than some of the newer cars....
but I dunno wut its called

What is defined as thick oil? I am running 10w40 because I was in a wintery climate before. I might change to the RRM suggested oil weight now that I'm in more of a summer climate (I'll look it up, I think they wanted 10w50 or something like that).

As for the spray, you are talking about carb cleaner, engine cleaner, etc. It cleans all the carbon deposits from the IM and combustion chamber if I remember correctly. Right now I am running 93 octane, so I really can't go much higher.

If I can't pass it the right way, I know a guy who knows a guy who can help me out under the table.

livelyjay May 10, 2005 10:04 AM

I disconnected the simulator and reset the ECU during lunch, then did the normal relearn stage as well. No engine code yet *crossed fingers*. Sunoco does not carry 94 octane, so I'll just stick to the 93 I've been using since I got the kit. If the engine light doesn't come on for a week, I'll take it in to get tested again.

Do you guys think it's safe to assume it was the O2 simulator that was causing the emissions to be out of whack?

PA-silver03evo May 10, 2005 10:12 AM

If you had the 02 simulator for the rear 02 sensor, it wont help your problem. The rear 02 sensor only tells if the cat is working or not. It doesnt have anything to do with lean/rich condition. If you are having a problem with the mixture being off, you probably either have a bad maf sensor, an intake leak, a bad front 02 sensor, or you changed your fuel system (larger pump/injectors) and didnt modify the ecu to dump less fuel. Any of these things can cause the mixture to be off and throw the code you are getting.

Originally Posted by livelyjay
I disconnected the simulator and reset the ECU during lunch, then did the normal relearn stage as well. No engine code yet *crossed fingers*. Sunoco does not carry 94 octane, so I'll just stick to the 93 I've been using since I got the kit. If the engine light doesn't come on for a week, I'll take it in to get tested again.

Do you guys think it's safe to assume it was the O2 simulator that was causing the emissions to be out of whack?

initialDRacer May 10, 2005 12:10 PM

Jay, the oil is 20w50. I basically have 35k miles on my car and recently installed the turbo around 34k miles. Mine passed emissions with the header/turbo setup and everything else stock. Hope you get everything situated. Good luck.

airlinevomitbag May 11, 2005 05:52 AM

Can you pull the vac line on the FMU and limp it in there from like a block away? That is what is pegging you rich. It will be lean as hell for a little bit but I would think that would get you through.

livelyjay May 11, 2005 06:01 AM

Actually from what I read about NO emissions, running lean will cause you to fail NO. If your combustion chamber is running hot (lean condition) the fuel will explode instead of burning. This causes your NO emissions to skyrocket. Running rich will mask the NO emissions and cause a smoother burn, the flip side is your CO emissions will increase. I am hoping that after resetting the ECU and pulling the O2 sensor will get me back into the green on all emissions. initialDRacer has the same set up as me and passed emissions, so we'll see.

I put in the O2 simulator because I was getting engine codes. I think the codes were coming up because of the gas used in NY state, which has a high concentration of ethanol. After a day of running VA gas and a reset ECU, my car is running better than before. I'll get tested next week and see what happens.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

N1te May 11, 2005 06:04 AM

There's some stuff at autzone that guarantees you to pass emissions. I'd try that =\

livelyjay May 11, 2005 09:38 AM

I'm guessing it just boosts the octane rating of your gas. I'll swing by Autozone this week and check it out, hell, I need to get new wiper blades any way.

livelyjay May 12, 2005 04:53 AM

Just an update, talked with my friend at poker night, he said he knows a guy that can get me past inspection for $50. So, if I can't pass on my own (one try left), that will be my best option.