EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Troubleshooting (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting-60/)
-   -   timing belt (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting/291800-timing-belt.html)

initialDRacer Aug 27, 2007 07:38 AM

timing belt

My lancer has reached the 60k mark and I was wondering when would be a good time to replace the timing belt? If so how much is it usually? Mitsu dealer quoted me for $1200 everything plus change all the other belts, i.e. a/c belt, serpentine, etc... Sounds legit or not? They said I'll save $600.

Shingen Aug 27, 2007 08:36 AM

Sounds like it's legit for what they usually charge. If I were in your shoes, which I will be in a few months, I'd find out what I can do and what I need them to do... and don't take it to the dealership. There are some good shops around that will do the same stuff for way less.

initialDRacer Aug 27, 2007 08:51 AM

timing belt costs $55 and the waterpump costs $94 at mitsubishiparts.com. SO let's say I pay $160 for parts. Then the labor which costs around $450, then I should only pay around 600 to 700 total. Now for the other belts, I got quoted for 160 to 170 parts and labor. So that yields to 770 or 880 for everything. That's less than what is being charged by mitsu stealership. They will make around $320 in profits...

lancerman360 Aug 27, 2007 09:18 AM

I paid like $25 for the belt at autozone, and $140 for labor at a little mechanics shop.

Dont go to the dealer to have it done. They just rip you off.

SLVROZ_03 Aug 27, 2007 10:02 AM

I paid <$100 for all my belts and a water pump from www.mr-auto-parts.com . Bought a $3 set of pry bars from Freight Harbor. $3 can of brake clean from Auto Zone. Took out the starter, inserted pry bar, and broke the pulley bolt loose myself. Installed new belts, rigged the cam and crank out to move, and torqued the bolt back on. 11 hrs later, I saved myself 100s of $$$.

Don't go the dealership! Local shop will do a fine job, I just recommend buying the needed parts ahead of time for them.

Mirage2.0 Aug 29, 2007 06:37 AM

I'll pay $25 for the belt at pepboys and $six puck for my friend, lol.

atilla Aug 29, 2007 08:18 AM

i was quoted $300 at a shop but ended up doing it with the help of a friend. those quotes you got were waaaaaaaaay too much.

initialDRacer Aug 29, 2007 12:26 PM

You just need to buy the belt itself, correct? You don't need to buy any special parts that has to be replaced along with it? Same goes with the water pump I guess.

Mirage2.0 Aug 29, 2007 12:49 PM

Tensioners, if they are bad.

SLVROZ_03 Aug 29, 2007 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by initialDRacer (Post 4691599)
You just need to buy the belt itself, correct? You don't need to buy any special parts that has to be replaced along with it? Same goes with the water pump I guess.

Well, while down there...replace all the belts, the water pump, and the tensioner if you've ever been suspicous of it making noise. Also spray off & clean the crank postion sensor contact points. You'll know what I mean when you take off the crank pulley.