EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Troubleshooting (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting-60/)
-   -   AC is stuck on!!!!! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting/548005-ac-stuck.html)

larlo Mar 30, 2011 10:17 PM

AC is stuck on!!!!!

Hi everyone.

I have a 2002 Lancer LS. It's currently sitting at 118,000 miles. Good little car. It was my wife's first car and it has served us well. However the weirdest thing happened this morning before my commute.

I climb in and start the car. I see the AC light is on. I think I might have hit the button last night and push it to turn it off. It stays on. I try again. No luck.

I am plagued by the same sticky heat control/broken knob ( it snapped off last March). I have it push all the way over to hot. It was just as warm as it always is on the morning drive. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if it's connected to the stuck heater controls?

03lances Mar 30, 2011 11:26 PM

I had this happen to me once, I had to pull the bezel off then unscrew the two screws that hold those 3 buttons on and hit the rubber "underbutton" (I guess I could call it that) for the A/C to turn it back off

ThaKing Apr 25, 2011 09:38 PM

My Lancer had the same problem. Never really fixed it, but found that if I turned the A/C, heat nob to hot, then cold, then back to hot, that the A/C light would go off. Have you figured anything else out on this.

phi79 Oct 1, 2011 09:56 AM

Have you got this fix? I just have the same problem now and I did what 03lances mention but still stuck on.

sneaky_pete Oct 7, 2011 09:06 PM

It could be one of the pressure cycling swithes or maybe the control itself shorted out.

mitsuozboi Oct 11, 2011 12:40 AM

Mine broke as well. And my AC light is also stuck on. I have to reach under the dash and move the heat control by hand to adjust temp. Ill probably try taking the HVAC out and seeing if maybe its just a stuck button or something. Dam mitsu.

fritobandito24 Oct 11, 2011 10:39 AM

Okay, this probably isn't the cause, but maybe the knob is turned too far to the "Max A/C" option. It won't let you turn the A/C off if it's on that.

phi79 Oct 12, 2011 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by fritobandito24 (Post 9664837)
Okay, this probably isn't the cause, but maybe the knob is turned too far to the "Max A/C" option. It won't let you turn the A/C off if it's on that.

My is on hot now and still won't turn off.

i.Apotheosis Feb 11, 2012 11:46 PM

My knob is also stripped and broken off. I use the lever under the dash that is above the gas pedal to change the temperature, but what is weird is the green AC light is always on no matter what. It doesn't seem to matter because the heater still blows hot and the ac blows cold when I switch them back and forth to the extremes, but it is a pain and I wonder if I am losing gas milage by having the AC light on like is the AC unit actually running at any time other than at full cold?

NatWu Oct 16, 2013 05:32 PM

I have the same problem. I find that pushing the defrost button simultaneously with the AC button is the only way to get the AC to turn on or off. I don't know if it's a problem with the plastic button that actually hits the tiny switch on the circuit board or if it's the switch itself.

03lances Oct 17, 2013 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by NatWu (Post 10990843)
I have the same problem. I find that pushing the defrost button simultaneously with the AC button is the only way to get the AC to turn on or off. I don't know if it's a problem with the plastic button that actually hits the tiny switch on the circuit board or if it's the switch itself.

Its most likely just the plastic button making god contact. Easy way to find out is to take them off and try it.

03nevaevolution Feb 25, 2017 06:32 PM

Fixed

Hitting both the defrost and accidentally buttons simultaneously worked! Thx!!

Fourdoor Jun 23, 2019 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by 03nevaevolution (Post 11714724)
Hitting both the defrost and accidentally buttons simultaneously worked! Thx!!

I will have to try this. Did a search in Ralliart General with no search results, and posted my own thread... glad I did a google search and found this thread!

Keith

mr_mahoney Nov 17, 2021 11:40 AM

Thank You ! Pressing the AC and Defrost buttons at the same time (a few times) and it worked !
What a crazy fix :)