EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Troubleshooting (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting-203/)
-   -   2012 Lancer Sportback - Clunking and creaking rear suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting/722434-2012-lancer-sportback-clunking-creaking-rear-suspension.html)

SwissMeatMan Dec 6, 2015 07:51 AM

2012 Lancer Sportback - Clunking and creaking rear suspension

Hey guys,

This is starting to drive me insane. I recently purchased a 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback from the north end dealership in Edmonton, Alberta. I've been having this issue for about 4 months now, and bringing it to the dealership under my warranty solves nothing.

When taking sharp turns there is a very obvious creaking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. When I go over speed bumps or any kind of pothole, there is a "clunk" sound. It makes my car sound like its 20 years old. Here's the odd part that doesn't make sense; there are some days where these issues completely disappear. For example, during the first snowfall this year, snow clogged the wheel wells and the clunking completely stopped. When the snow cleared and the weather warmed, the issues returned..? So one day, it sounds like my vehicle might bottom out on the highway, and another day it seems like the issue fixed itself.

I brought it to the dealership and they said they checked the springs and the struts to make sure no fluid was leaking from there. Looking through these forums relentlessly, I have a nagging feeling it could be part of the sway bar bushings or something to do with that whole assembly. Both problems that I have could be related, or not at all.

I'm asking this forum because I do have the means to look under there myself, but I'd like to see if anyone here has encountered this exact issues. If you need more specific information I can give it to you. I would rather the dealership fix the issue for free than me have to do it all myself, but if they can't figure it out its up to me.

Someone please help me XD

E_H8 Dec 6, 2015 09:39 AM

If your sure struts and springs are good then check to see if bump stops are there, if those are installed then the issue is probably coming from somewhere else. Had a similar issue on my BRZ after i lowered it, the sound was coming from the sway bar end links binding when the suspension was compressed over small bumps especially while turning.

-Eric

Veronica Dec 7, 2015 12:03 PM

^ this. Grab and shake the end links.

Loose? Replace.

SwissMeatMan Dec 7, 2015 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica (Post 11546737)
^ this. Grab and shake the end links.

Loose? Replace.

Okay so I know what these things are and what they're for but can someone tell me what they look like? Im staring at the car with the wheel removed and I'm having a hard time identifying this piece to shake

E_H8 Dec 7, 2015 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Should look something like this. Connects the swaybar to the control arm.

Attachment 270229

-Eric

CamShaft Dec 14, 2015 12:05 PM

Funny thing, I have an odd clunking sound from the rear as well. It's intermittent, the only way I can create it is to do a slalom with the car. It is a dull thud/clunk. I have went over my entire rear suspension and found nothing loose or worn. Swaybar end links are tight. I even had it jacked up and took my 5' pry bar and moved the wheel up and down, compressing the struts. No noise! I am living with it until it gets really bad and will hopefully show itself. The suspension is tight so I am not worried about anything. A noise like this can only get worse over time and hopefully finally show itself so I can find it. I think it may be the struts, but since they aren't leaking I am not in a rush to replace them. If you find out, please post a result. As will I.

Veronica Dec 15, 2015 08:43 AM

Did you check for loose spare tire in the well? Other loose stuff?

Did you shake the wheel (push/pull) to check the bearings?

Did you shake the struts when jacked (but NOT compressed)?

CamShaft Jan 25, 2016 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica (Post 11550347)
Did you check for loose spare tire in the well? Other loose stuff?

Did you shake the wheel (push/pull) to check the bearings?

Did you shake the struts when jacked (but NOT compressed)?

Yup, checked all that. Tire and jack secure. I have checked everything. Exhaust, fuel tank, etc. Everything is tight. Wheel bearings are good. It's very weird. Someday I will find it. Not in a rush to tear it all apart.

Veronica Jan 27, 2016 12:10 PM

[shrug]

Let us know what you find!

Etrain49 Feb 2, 2016 11:32 AM

First off I feel your Alberta winter pains...damn these roads, but I won't lie...I just drive my truck all winter ;)

I too get these noises from the back and have for quite some time, redone my suspension myself (mods), had regular inspections since, nothing is broken..but you know what I *think* it is..play in the spots where your body panels connect to your frame/chassis..it creaks when you go around corners and do slalom type moves aka applying lateral force to your frame/chassis, which then twists some..and we've all noticed how cheap the plastic is on this thing..

dirkka Mar 23, 2016 10:52 AM

I too have that clunking sound from my sportback gts. I always assumed it was from my lowered springs, but after i changed the whole setup, it was still there. So i'll definitely try those end links and see what happens

CamShaft May 25, 2016 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found my clunking! It was the sway bar bushings (rear). They move so little, but enough I guess.

I converted the video to fit the 5mb file limit so the sound is a bit garbled and off sync. But in my original 1080P the sound of clunking is bang on to the time the sway bar moves that little bit.

Hopefully this helps others.

Veronica May 26, 2016 08:30 AM

ah, good!