EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Troubleshooting (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting-60/)
-   -   Random starting issues (2003 Lancer ES) (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-troubleshooting/737815-random-starting-issues-2003-lancer-es.html)

Chrushev Feb 27, 2017 04:02 PM

Random starting issues (2003 Lancer ES)

Hi everyone, I have a 2003 Lancer ES (85k miles). This issue started around 60k miles and basically its as follows.

I get in the car, turn the key it cranks, wont start. I stop and lightly tap the accelerator pedal and try again, starts like a charm. This doesnt happen all the time, maybe a few times a week (like one out of 5 to 10 starts). Once car is running it runs like new, no issues whats so ever. Never stalls, never drops RPM.
At first at 60k miles (this is like 6 years ago) I thought maybe its a bad battery, but Ive since replaced the battery (have Interstate battery), and behavior is the same regardless... Ive also replaced Ignition coils and tried Sea Foam.

Its like its something to do with fuel injection or something on start. It always starts on second try after tapping the gas. Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone experience this or knows what can cause this?

4b11slayer Feb 27, 2017 08:44 PM

Sounds like the fuel pressure regulator is not maintaining pressure for the next start up.

Chrushev Feb 28, 2017 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer (Post 11715363)
Sounds like the fuel pressure regulator is not maintaining pressure for the next start up.

Its a stock ES Lancer, no mods, where is the fuel pressure regulator located? I cant seem to find any pictures online.

Does the engine have to be taken apart to replace this part or is it something I can replace myself (is it accessible through the hood?). Also, could it be anything else? And any way to check/test? Like can it be dirty? If so, how can I clean it? How much should one cost? Autozone seems to have one for around $70, does that sound right? Whats a good brand?

4b11slayer Feb 28, 2017 07:44 PM

Yes you can verify the loss of fuel pressure if you do a fuel pressure test on start when the concern is present.

It could be part of the pump or on the throttle body. Im not familiar with the specific vehicle.

Jdubya555 Mar 31, 2017 09:34 AM

O replaced an lancer oz rally 2.0 2003 with an 2005. But used the throttle body from the 03. O have to crank engine 4 times to start but otherwise runs excellent. Does anyone know if the old throttle body could be the problem thx

realgone2 Mar 31, 2017 09:38 AM

I had somewhat similar problem a while back. Friend of mine cleaned out the throttle body and that cleared it up.

Jdubya555 Mar 31, 2017 09:50 AM

Thank you for the comment. But the car was running good before motor blew from overheating. So you just had the starting problem. Or the whole thing about switching engines