Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Pontiac G8 test drive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pontiac G8 test drive

I want a new car and have started narrowing my list down, getting brochures, reading tests/reviews, etc., and one of the cars I'm considering is the G8. So I ran over to the Pontiac dealer during lunch yesterday to look at some in person and get a brochure when the salesman offers a test drive. I said "sure!". It was the usual quick test drive (plus I was on lunch so I had to get back), but DAMN! Can you say "torque"? It pulls like a freight train, even with the a/c blasting, two 200+ lb. guys, and at low rpms. When I got home, I was reading the brochure and the HP/torque chart shows it has 300 lb-ft from a little over 1000 rpm up to a peak of 385 at 4400, with a little curve down up to redline (6000). The braking was excellent too, and I was able to hit a couple turns with no one in front of me, and it felt good.

Now, this was just a 5 minute "around the block" dealer test drive, but the G8 was impressive, it's definitely still on my list (it's the first on my list that I've actually driven so far), and a longer test drive is certainly going to happen.

Anyone else driven/own one here?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
there is a GXP version coming out in December or January with LS3 engine and better suspension etc ... Should be in mid $30k .. If it is still within your budget I would wait for GXP.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

G8 GXP is on the list for our "family" car purchase in late winter.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw a white G8 last nite..pretty ****in' clean!!!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

To be honest this car is pretty attractive, not everyones taste, but it does come with the stigma of being a pontiac. I would wait for the GXP, a couple of mods and that car will rip, that LS3 is a beast. Sounds nice, what was your impression of the interior? Did it have leather and all that stuff? Just curious as I will be in the market soon enough. Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Isnt new car shopping fun!!!!!!!!!

Nice car and Im sure nice power,,, but when you go adding up all the little things , you sure know your in a Pontiac,, at $28k.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by go_evo_go
Sounds nice, what was your impression of the interior? Did it have leather and all that stuff? Just curious as I will be in the market soon enough. Thanks.
The interior was much better than expected, as a lot of American are still lacking when it comes to interior design/materials, IMO. But I did notice when I opened the glove box that it felt kinda flimsy, which was a little disappointing. It does have leather if you get the premium package, which is one of only two options, the other being a sport package that includes 19" wheels w/ summer tires. It has a lot of things standard, including remote start and 6-disk Blaupunkt stereo, but even with the two packages it comes to around 32K. The third option is a sunroof, but the salesman said they don't offer it on 2009s (maybe due to the torque?), which kind of stinks.

Overall, I was very impressed in the short time I had with it but I do share some of the concerns mentioned, namely overall quality/reliability (especially for a brand new model) and the fact it's a Pontiac. Not that I have a problem with owning a Pontiac, I've owned a '99 T/A, but resale value is a concern.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For that price I'd take the 335i sedan, a Evo X, or a Benz C350.

Carlos
Old Aug 8, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Your Post

Yes the G8 is very nice, the GT is great especially with the sport package, but I must admit the GXP is the one to get. If you can wait six months, and swing the near 40K price (out the door) then cool. If not, a 33K (out the door) G8 GT with sport package is nothing to be ashamed of. Pontiac has really been coming up of late. Quality much improved, interrior way better, its very nice.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

With only 15 ft lbs of additional trq, will the GXP really perform any better in the red-light drags than the GT model? Subtract the $8,000 premium and the GT starts to look pretty attractive.

Old Aug 9, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
With only 15 ft lbs of additional trq, will the GXP really perform any better in the red-light drags than the GT model? Subtract the $8,000 premium and the GT starts to look pretty attractive.

Pontiac is clameing 13.0@108mph for the GXP ? !
Old Aug 9, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

the g8 is an animal even if you get the gt it you throw some headers on and exhaust you will prolly be right next to the gxp or very close to it. but deff wait for that 6 speed its going to be sweet! im actually going to get the new camaro mayb about a year after they come out. i love the ls engines they make insane power and are very reliable!
Old Aug 9, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson

It's not just the 15 ft lbs, its an LS3 in the GXP - The opens a whole new door for mods -
Old Aug 9, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

I test drove the G8 some time ago and walked away pretty impressed. The car has a ton of room inside and the interior is actually pretty decent looking IMO. For some reason it annoys me that the window controls are placed between the driver and passenger seats though.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
For that price I'd take the 335i sedan, a Evo X, or a Benz C350.

Carlos
Only 335i or C350 sedan for $32k is 2 years old (maybe an 07).

The G8 is much bigger than the Evo and can have a ****ton of power with some cheap mods.

The nose looks horrible though... and I like to turn when I'm racing Oh and I'd need the GXP to get a stick shift.

You might add a G35S 6MT (to be a G37S in 09). We're buying our second Infiniti G series on Monday almost fully loaded (only missing the tech package) for around $34k. Better warranty and dealer service than a Pontiac will ever give you. And manual sedans are baller (although the car is for my wife).

Quick Reply: Pontiac G8 test drive