Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

whats your daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Who here has a brz/frs twin and is up to date on them? Have they ironed out the kinks when tracking them?

I have a silly idea of picking one up, throwing ohlins, oil cooler, brakes and wheels/tires on and tracking the **** out of it. I'm over having a track car for only two months out of two years.

Is the BRZ/FRS up to the task with those mods?
a friend of mine has one with the mods you mentioned (except feals coilovers and the oil cooler is in his garage), he doesn't have any issues, but he hasn't put a ton of track miles on it. he is pretty fast tho, so the car isn't being babied. he also drifts it, so it does get the **** beat out of it. personally I can't take it cause of that torque dip... it just feels like the engine having an asthma attack...

his stock rotors were all cracked after 1 track day with track pads tho... so that was replaced with a bbk, covered under your brakes section.

so partial answer anyway...
Old May 6, 2019, 02:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
a friend of mine has one with the mods you mentioned (except feals coilovers and the oil cooler is in his garage), he doesn't have any issues, but he hasn't put a ton of track miles on it. he is pretty fast tho, so the car isn't being babied. he also drifts it, so it does get the **** beat out of it. personally I can't take it cause of that torque dip... it just feels like the engine having an asthma attack...

his stock rotors were all cracked after 1 track day with track pads tho... so that was replaced with a bbk, covered under your brakes section.

so partial answer anyway...
Thanks.

Torque dip is an easy fix with a tune from what I have gathered.
Old May 6, 2019, 02:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks.

Torque dip is an easy fix with a tune from what I have gathered.
if I were in your shoes, I'd try to find and drive a tuned torque dip fixed car. for me the FA20 in every form just kinda sucks, even in my sister's WRX where its turbo'd (and tuned with some bolt-ons) and making 300whp, it still feels lazy, doesn't wanna rev... idk, just not my cup of tea, it could work for you. Between EJ and FA, I'd go EJ everyday of the week even though its a relic as far as engines go
Old May 6, 2019, 03:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by warmmilk
if I were in your shoes, I'd try to find and drive a tuned torque dip fixed car. for me the FA20 in every form just kinda sucks, even in my sister's WRX where its turbo'd (and tuned with some bolt-ons) and making 300whp, it still feels lazy, doesn't wanna rev... idk, just not my cup of tea, it could work for you. Between EJ and FA, I'd go EJ everyday of the week even though its a relic as far as engines go
Yea, I've driven a bunch of FRS/BRZ's over the years. They are slow as *****. Still faster than my 600whp evo that has sat broken for 20 months out of the last two years.

The lack of easy power moddability is a plus for me at this point. I'm done with it.

I'd do Miata but I don't want a vert.
Old May 6, 2019, 03:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Yea, I've driven a bunch of FRS/BRZ's over the years. They are slow as *****. Still faster than my 600whp evo that has sat broken for 20 months out of the last two years.

The lack of easy power moddability is a plus for me at this point. I'm done with it.

How was your 05 Evo 8 compared to your 2014 X ?
Old May 6, 2019, 03:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Pal215
How was your 05 Evo 8 compared to your 2014 X ?
Best car I ever owned. Was a great car for that time of my life.

Also the longest I have ever owned a single car. The 10 is getting there too. Five years now. Although not sure if I can count the two years it has been down. lol

The 10 is more capable than my 8 was, when it's working.

For the first time in over twenty years, I might be Mitsubishi-less. :-O
Old May 6, 2019, 03:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Best car I ever owned. Was a great car for that time of my life.

Also the longest I have ever owned a single car. The 10 is getting there too. Five years now. Although not sure if I can count the two years it has been down. lol

The 10 is more capable than my 8 was, when it's working.

For the first time in over twenty years, I might be Mitsubishi-less. :-O

That makes sense. There is nothing wrong with trying out a different brand to change things up. I daily a 2009 corolla, but when my IX isn't being fussy I can daily drive it for months without getting tired of it. Then, on very rare occasions it will break down in a creative manner and act like the 13 year old car that it is. I have to stay humble. The best thing in my wallet is my AAA club card. The free tows are worth it.
Old May 6, 2019, 03:55 PM
EvoM Guru

yeah, my Miata being a vert is pretty much the only downside for me...

side note on the 86, you can get the oil to water cooler that comes stock on the WRX if you have an aversion to an aftermarket air to oil coolers for whatever reason. Its prolly cheaper too.
Old May 6, 2019, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

You got to know the FiST pretty well. Was it not adequate enough on the track? If you got it to 300 hp with a turbo I still think you could have fun with it again.
They are still an affordable car. You know the platform well.

Last edited by whtrice; May 6, 2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: sp
Old May 6, 2019, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I've had a 2013 Infiniti G37x sedan with NAV/other options that I bought in January, 2018, and I'm not exactly impressed by it. It's magnificent in the snow, which was very handy this past year, but the gas mileage is ATROCIOUS in the city, it's big, and doesn't really feel sporty due to the lethargic automatic transmission. It's meant to be a luxury car, but I'm amazed how many squeaks and rattles it has for a car with 45,000 miles. I already fixed rust on the driver's side rocker panel and after letting it sit for 10 days, it has a weird howling noise that I'm concerned could be an expensive accessory, water pump or even the transmission. It wasn't overly expensive to buy and was the car I needed at the time, but it's just not the car I want at this point, and with this noise, it doesn't seem to be the bulletproof car I thought I would be owning.

Anyone have experience with the 2015+ Audi S3? It seems like the best car available that does what need it to (around/under $25k CAD), and I'm willing to take the hit on selling my G37 to get it. Smaller, sportier, faster, better gas mileage, etc. I've heard people complain about the interior, but after time in the G, I really don't see how it can be worse.
Old May 6, 2019, 07:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by whtrice
You got to know the FiST pretty well. Was it not adequate enough on the track? If you got it to 300 hp with a turbo I still think you could have fun with it again.
They are still an affordable car. You know the platform well.
Can't do FWD for a track car for me. AWD or RWD

The FiST was fun on track for sure but forward grip was frustrating at times. I wasn't taking it that serious when I tracked it so at the time it just made me laugh.
Old May 7, 2019, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
if the weather is fair i ride this daily , cheap, fast , fun, easy to park.

Old May 7, 2019, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Who here has a brz/frs twin and is up to date on them? Have they ironed out the kinks when tracking them?

I have a silly idea of picking one up, throwing ohlins, oil cooler, brakes and wheels/tires on and tracking the **** out of it. I'm over having a track car for only two months out of two years.

Is the BRZ/FRS up to the task with those mods?
If you want a light and nimble rwd car why not get a s2000?
Old May 8, 2019, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Can't do FWD for a track car for me. AWD or RWD

The FiST was fun on track for sure but forward grip was frustrating at times. I wasn't taking it that serious when I tracked it so at the time it just made me laugh.
Well then you said it before...... ZL1 1LE.... quit beating around the bush.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The 1LE package on the ZL1 makes it a terrible street car. Just thought I'd mention that since this is a daily thread lol

Quick Reply: whats your daily driver?