Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

E90 M3 review vs. Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E90 M3 review vs. Evo 8

I owned my 2003 Evo 8 (mildly modded) from 2004 up to June 2010. I picked up a E90 M3 and here's my very non technical and subjective review of the M3 vs the Evo 8:

Exterior: This really is subjective here. The Evo has a very functional design. When I owned the Evo, I loved the wing, but I was starting to want a more subtle styling for my car. I prefer the M3 design. It's aggressive fenders, small spoiler, and overall design is perfectly styled with the best combo of performance, functionality, and aggresive style. I love the dark graphite wheels and multispoke design. This car turns heads!

Interior: I wanted a more luxurious interior. The Evo at the end of the day didn't cut it out for me. I loved the Recaros, but that and the wheel were the only features that looked good. I didn't have the SSL leather. So no surprise, the M3 beats the Evo 8 in this category hands down. Smooth black leather everywhere, integrated navigation, great looking dash, aluminum trim, nothing looks or feels cheap.

Engine/performance: no surprise the stock M3 is faster in every sense than the stock Evo 8 and it should be. The linear deliver of the NA engine is a great change of pace from the turbo I use to have. This engine is designed as a high revving screamer (8300 rpm redline), and pulls hard with no let down all the way to redline. The M3 by the seat of my pants and performance figures (so I'm told) are faster. No debate. The M3 also handles very well, steering is sharp, and I got the EDC dampers and it's stiff enough when I want it to be, and I can't wait to see how the dynamic diff works on the track. The M-drive feature gives me a even more heavier steering feature.

Brakes: The stock M3 pads are a bit sensitive for street driving. It's really "grabby". The Evo was more reasonable on the street, but for high performance street driving, both car's brakes inspires confidence. This is a tie in my book.

Ergonomics/usefulness: M3 hands down again. My back seats fold down which I need often. The car handles very well in the snow with the stability control on. The doors/trunk open when I'm close to the car which comes in handy, I love the heated seats, moonroof, parking sensors, and window shades. When I bought all these features, I thought it was a waste of money, but it seriously is very useful as I use all of these features regularly.

Intangibles: the M3 sounds fantastic, no debate here in my book. In the summer, I often roll down my window in a tunnel just to hear the engine and exhaust scream. It's quiet when you need it to be quiet and an absolute race car when you want it to be. It really stirs the emotions when driving. This car has major baller status at the track and at the coffee house with your friends and my g/f. The only thing with driving the M3 is, it doesn't feel like a "brotherhood" anymore. In my Evo, I woudl always wave and get a wave back from a fellow driver. In the M3, well it's true what they say "M3 drivers has no friends", and it doesn't help when they don't wave at other M3 drivers.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Congrat's nice more looks like the M3 all the way , I felt like that with my evo I too had to move on.

Nice ride.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I felt the same way also when i had my first evo 8. i Picked up a C class AMG and it was better than my old evo in every manner. But i got bored and now i have another evo 8 and the AMG stays in the garage.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Nice ride. Your review isn't surprising, in fact it had better be that way considering you are comparing a $70,000+ car (new) versus a $20,000 car.

And no, there is no "brotherhood" in the M3 world.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

$exy
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unfortunately im in the same boat. do i keep the built evo and pick up a cheap and cheerful daily? or do i move on to a nicer, more "all-around" car. i love the evo, but sometimes its a drag when i just need to run errands.

do love the m3's, although a little out of my price range, still being in school lol good choice though! that 4 door grows more and more on me.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

This comparison is like comparing The Wynn hotel with a Super 8.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the M3... and have had the pleasure of driving one and racing it on many occasions. Absolute joy to drive. But on a board for Evos... there really isnt any point to this comparison. The M3 will beat the Evo in every way shape and form. (except around the track) And it should. But as mentioned, not a fair comparison, as expectations and price tag are completely out of the same league.

Bren
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Im in the market for a new car and the M3 is on the list. glad to hear that you like it
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Sick man, great looking car. I've always wanted an Evo, but I decided to stick with a bit nicer car and got an E90 335i back in May. Such a nice car and still very quick for just a luxury sports sedan. Best car I've ever driven stock.

I got sparkling graphite, but I really wanted silver. Love your car.

Oh, and first mods you need to do are blackline taillights and drop it.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by From 3 to E
unfortunately im in the same boat. do i keep the built evo and pick up a cheap and cheerful daily? or do i move on to a nicer, more "all-around" car. i love the evo, but sometimes its a drag when i just need to run errands.

do love the m3's, although a little out of my price range, still being in school lol good choice though! that 4 door grows more and more on me.
Get a daily. A built evo quickly becomes a toy or as I call mine a "nice day" driver. The m3 is sexy though. I would expect it to be above the evo. However , the cost of modding that m3 is expensive. Actually everything about the car is more expensive, maintenance, parts, vehicle cost etc...

The evo is probably one of the best bang for the buck vehicles out there. Where as the M3 is awesome there are many other vehicles in the same price range that are as fast or faster. But at that point it comes down to personal preference.

Good review though.

I'd like to see an M3 vs Evo X comparison done by someone.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Your right... there is no brotherhood with M3s... and the funnier thing is that there were more M3 owners than EVO and STI owners combined whenever I went to just ANY local car meet. On one meet, there were 5 silver gray E46s just like mine... I was like WTF...

There is NO COMPARISON though for an EVO 8 to an E90 M3. Not even close.

The cost dictates it from the get go.... with that said...

I owned an 05 e46 M3 and it was one of the worst financial mistakes I ever made. Wish I never done it. In stock form, it was slow, heavy, and the best thing about it was that it looked good.... oh and way too expensive to mod...

The E90 on the other hand definitely gives you alot more for your money. I would get one or maybe a 911 if I could let go my love for Subies and EVOs.

One great thing bout Beemers is the warranty which no one can touch for as long as it lasts.... because when that warranty goes... you either better be ready to fork some ching for repairs or hope you have a friend that's can work on it cause they are not cheap to fix. A well taken care BMW will last though... They are very well made and I owned 3 BMWs and NEVER had an issue with them.

With that same token, A LOT OF MONEY is required to mod an M3. The E90 does come in a very respectable stock form as far as power goes though. And BMW finally brought back the 4 door as I did not like my 2 door E46 for its impracticality.

All in all its a great car but I'll probably never go down that route again.... especially for $70k... if I was to ever dump that kind of money on a car, it would be on a used 911 996 Turbo or maybe a 997 Turbo. Because neither one of these cars would ever be a DD, so in the end the M3 is totally out gunned by a 911.

Not hating on the OP or any of you guys that switched to European luxury sedans... just stating my opinion that is all and its funny how I did it in the reverse order.

One day I do want to own a 996 or 997 Turbo... maybe in the next couple of years... but for now I will take my IX and my 05 WRX with its cheap interior, cheap to mod and fairly cheap to own any day. And I sure love them alot more than I ever did the M3.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good comparison...i owned a e46 M3, started autocrossing and sold it for a Lotus Exige, took a job that required traveling, and sold the Exige for the Evo9.

I loved the looks of the M3 inside & out...loved the sound of the raspy straight 6 with a full Ti exhaust... handling was about the same as the Evo but I feel the Evo has an edge where I seem to push the car. Maybe the newer M3 is better in the snow but the e46 was a f**king nightmare. The Lotus was impossible in any bad weather.

I like modifying my car so I've been happy with the Evo longer than any other sports car because the initial purchase price and modification costs are much lower and there is a deep after-market.

You're a lucky guy to have the pockets to afford the new M3. Now all you need is the $15,000 Active Autowerke supercharger...620 HP, 450 Ft Lbs!!!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

i have been going back and fourth about buying either E46 or evo 8? this would be my second car. each forum picks their car as to which to go with.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the comments, I agree with most of your comments, but I don't agree with a few.

The E9X M3 is faster than than Evo X on the track. Road and Track tested both cars (in addition to 6 others) on a high speed oval, a long and short autoX track, and both Street of Willows track and the M3 was faster than the Evo X in all. And yes, they were all driven by the same guy on the same day.

Also, you guys didn't get my hint. There's no way I would drop $70k for the M3. It's not worth $70k in my mind. I picked the M3 with 8k miles for $46k cash. No it's not a wrecked title, or a demo, or anything. That's $6k or so more than I would have forked over a new Evo X MR or a new Evo 9 MR back in the day. To me, it was a no brainer to pick it up.

On the side note, for $70k I would have picked up a Z06.

Also, since I plan on keeping it for about 8-10 years, I won't be modding it at all.

Quick Reply: E90 M3 review vs. Evo 8