Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Going to a Scion Fr-s from an Evox?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sema was flooded with frs & brz so I wouldn't really question touching the engine. There were so many exceptional tuners there, I wouldn't know where to start.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by sblvro
spoiler alert, the brz is a disappointment. I guess those mag writers have never driven an evo? just get the wrx if it is in your price range and want to stay in the same company. frs is all fizz. sorry.
I'm pretty sure Chris Harris and Jeremy Clarkson have never driven anything as magnificent like the Evo
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by PLANKTON
Sema was flooded with frs & brz so I wouldn't really question touching the engine. There were so many exceptional tuners there, I wouldn't know where to start.
Quite a few people have boosted/supercharged the FA20 with very good results on stock internals. The stoutness is not an issue so far.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:24 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Onizuka
I'm pretty sure Chris Harris and Jeremy Clarkson have never driven anything as magnificent like the Evo
yes, and JC likes the evo X FQ400!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
And the FRS/BRZ. It was his pick as the Car of the Year.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
but it needs more power out of the box.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Not in Jeremy Clarkson's opinion.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

lol. Don't waste too much time here, most people on this forum don't understand the car. I for one, am buying a black BRZ limited this June. Can't wait.

Here's a fun review posted on autoblog today: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/10/t...e-toyota-gt86/

I think it captures the car nicely.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:34 AM

maybe because I just stepped out of a 612 scaglietti before that?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:40 AM

btw, it is not top gear car of the year as other fan forum have been saying and also repeated by you. it wins top gear speed week! not car of the year.

Last edited by sblvro; Feb 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
btw, it is not top gear car of the year as other fan forum have been saying and also repeated by you. it wins top gear speed week! not car of the year.
Wrong. Jeremy listed it as his pick for the Car of the Year.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/j...gt86-2012-12-7
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Carloverx
lol. Don't waste too much time here, most people on this forum don't understand the car. I for one, am buying a black BRZ limited this June. Can't wait.

Here's a fun review posted on autoblog today: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/10/t...e-toyota-gt86/

FYI: today's Top Gear features the GT86, maybe it'll show some of you guys why a car with only 200hp can be fun.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:20 PM

Look at the HP. An FRS is what, 200 HP? A Miata is 167. The two are going to be very similar. I'm pretty sure the FRS/BRZ was put up against a Miata in a Car and Driver/Road and Track review and came out quite well. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Here it is. BRZ was first.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...enesis-coupe-1
thanks for the link! performance wise the hyundia won and the brz won because it was a beauty queen! subjective factors gave it the nod. that is actually my impression before I stepped in the brz, its ergonomics were nice, the car was well buttoned and made. the sitting was proper, the gear knob was well placed, the pedals where it is supposed to be. after starting to drive it hurriedly, I was waiting and wanting some more but eventually, it was a letdown.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Onizuka
Quite a few people have boosted/supercharged the FA20 with very good results on stock internals. The stoutness is not an issue so far.
It would seem that the highest reliable, recommended boost PSI on the stock internals is agreed upon to be 8 or 9. That isn't what I would call "stout". Also, I was referring to the engine internals. That whole thing makes me nervous.

I saw Jeremy Clarkson's name in this thread a few times. One of the first things that he pointed out about this car is the fact that they put Prius tires on it to make it "fun". They specifically didn't focus on grip when designing this car, because the engine output was so small. Yeah, that isn't my thing. The very next thing that he says is that Mazda (in reference to the Miata) does spend a lot of time and energy designing their cars to grip the road.

Plus, look at what Clarkson drives (CLK63 AMG Black). Does it seem like low HP "toys" are really his thing? He would agree with me, if push came to shove. I recall the same caliber of praise being hurled at the GTO/Monaro.

Take that for what you will.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carloverx

Uh, I think that I understand this car just fine. I have read the reviews. They were so gleaming, that I actually went out and drove the car. I can say that the appeal of that car, if you are really into Evolutions, is just not there. Sure, everyone and their mother makes parts for this car, but quick is something that it just can't do. I also don't live in an area where fun in the corners happens very often. The Evo makes me smile even on surface roads to and from work. The FR-S would have to be thrashed and tossed around with some effort to deliver the same kind of "fun". I am sorry, but no. As someone who loves cars and looks forward to driving each and every day, that car is a disappointment.

Quick Reply: Going to a Scion Fr-s from an Evox?