Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 07:21 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
But guise, Evo owners on the interwebs say it's a really difficult maintenance item to perform. Your personal experience is great and all, but they have links to Youtube videos and NASIOC threads that clearly mean you're delusional and nothing but Subaru fanbois.
drat. i've been busted!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 08:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott@HKSUSA

Our FR-S is about due and I'm dreading changing the plugs on that now. Remove injector covers, remove header, remove motor mounts, jack up engine, remove coils....
Thought you might be joking, so I did a Google sear. You're not joking!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 09:03 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by mrfred
Thought you might be joking, so I did a Google sear. You're not joking!
f that.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually did the exact opposite. After 1 WRX and 2 STIs, I actually switched to a an EVO. The STIs have always had nicer interiors, but lets be honest, they are still econo-car interiors. If you really want luxury car quality you have to go with the Golf R. It's good to hear that they improved the handling. I had a 2013 STI and it definitely had pronounced understeer and definitely felt much looser than the Evo. In the end, I just couldn't really bring myself to buy a third STI that was mechanically basically the same as my 2004 STI. Did the 2015 solve the issue with the 2000rpm power dip? That was actually really annoying for daily driving. The one thing I do miss is the 6 speed transmission. In addition to the extra gear, it is a very enjoyable transmission where the GSR 5 speed is very notchy.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 01:02 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by blooo
. The one thing I do miss is the 6 speed transmission. In addition to the extra gear, it is a very enjoyable transmission where the GSR 5 speed is very notchy.
i <3 my 6spd. i'm also not a fan of how the 5spd feels. maybe my imagination, i don't know.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I actually did the exact opposite. After 1 WRX and 2 STIs, I actually switched to a an EVO. The STIs have always had nicer interiors, but lets be honest, they are still econo-car interiors. If you really want luxury car quality you have to go with the Golf R. It's good to hear that they improved the handling. I had a 2013 STI and it definitely had pronounced understeer and definitely felt much looser than the Evo. In the end, I just couldn't really bring myself to buy a third STI that was mechanically basically the same as my 2004 STI. Did the 2015 solve the issue with the 2000rpm power dip? That was actually really annoying for daily driving. The one thing I do miss is the 6 speed transmission. In addition to the extra gear, it is a very enjoyable transmission where the GSR 5 speed is very notchy.
Why are you driving at 2000 rpm in a turbo 4 cylinder and expecting power?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are you driving at 2000 rpm in a turbo 4 cylinder and expecting power?
I didn't say I expected power at 2000rpm, I said there is a "power dip" issue (you might want to google "comprehensive reading"). This means that as you get going from a dead stop, at some point below 3000rpm the car feels as if you had just let go of the accelerator for a moment while you are just trying to come up to driving speed. It is very annoying for daily driving because you have to stop and go lots of times unlike in a R4CEC4R. I suppose you might be H4RDCOR3 and launch above 3000rpm at every stop light so this wouldn't affect you, but the average driver does not. This is a known issue with the GR STI, and I am curious if it is gone from the new model since it uses an all new direct injection system. If you have an actual question about the differences between the STI and the EVO from a person who has actually owned both cars I will be more than happy to answer them, otherwise I will just assume you are trolling.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by needsboost
Guys, don't listen to them, I tried the spark plugs on my sti swapped FXT and now i am missing 3 toes, 4 teeth, my grandma, and my exhaust. it is literal hitler.

I'm an ex subaru owner. Worked on them plenty of times. The spark plug replacement on a wrx or sti is not at all difficult, the forester xt on the other hand is quite difficult. The forester xt literally has almost no room between the valve cover and the frame rail, now what makes replacing spark plugs difficult to replace is that the coil packs are really bulky and there is no wiggle room to get them out. That being said its not impossible but a lot worse than a wrx or sti.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've owned many subaru's (10 sec wrx, fxt, turbo legacy's etc.) They are not that hard to work on, with the exception being cams. Cam swap requires pulling the motor, so the EVO owns it in that department. But otherwise, plugs aren't that bad, pulling the trans is 5x easier than it is on an evo. The turbo definitely takes longer than an evo.. But the timing belt/water/pump/intake manifold/alternator/ac etc. is a lot easier on a saboobaru
Old Feb 24, 2015, 08:31 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by SnailSpeed
I'm an ex subaru owner. Worked on them plenty of times. The spark plug replacement on a wrx or sti is not at all difficult, the forester xt on the other hand is quite difficult. The forester xt literally has almost no room between the valve cover and the frame rail, now what makes replacing spark plugs difficult to replace is that the coil packs are really bulky and there is no wiggle room to get them out. That being said its not impossible but a lot worse than a wrx or sti.
Originally Posted by GravityKnight
I've owned many subaru's (10 sec wrx, fxt, turbo legacy's etc.) They are not that hard to work on, with the exception being cams. Cam swap requires pulling the motor, so the EVO owns it in that department. But otherwise, plugs aren't that bad, pulling the trans is 5x easier than it is on an evo. The turbo definitely takes longer than an evo.. But the timing belt/water/pump/intake manifold/alternator/ac etc. is a lot easier on a saboobaru
we know. that's why we're poking fun the "dreaded spark plug" myth
Old Feb 24, 2015, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I didn't say I expected power at 2000rpm, I said there is a "power dip" issue (you might want to google "comprehensive reading"). This means that as you get going from a dead stop, at some point below 3000rpm the car feels as if you had just let go of the accelerator for a moment while you are just trying to come up to driving speed. It is very annoying for daily driving because you have to stop and go lots of times unlike in a R4CEC4R. I suppose you might be H4RDCOR3 and launch above 3000rpm at every stop light so this wouldn't affect you, but the average driver does not. This is a known issue with the GR STI, and I am curious if it is gone from the new model since it uses an all new direct injection system. If you have an actual question about the differences between the STI and the EVO from a person who has actually owned both cars I will be more than happy to answer them, otherwise I will just assume you are trolling.
Thank you, I'm well aware what you wrote. What I was getting at is why you care about a power dip at 2000 rpm in a car that is designed to be driven above 3000 rpm. I have not experienced this power dip in my 2006 STI or my 2007 WRX.

Perhaps you need to exercise some comprehensive reading since you apparently missed the part where I said I owned a Subaru.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Thank you, I'm well aware what you wrote. What I was getting at is why you care about a power dip at 2000 rpm in a car that is designed to be driven above 3000 rpm. I have not experienced this power dip in my 2006 STI or my 2007 WRX.

Perhaps you need to exercise some comprehensive reading since you apparently missed the part where I said I owned a Subaru.
The quote in your signature immediately comes to mind.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
we know. that's why we're poking fun the "dreaded spark plug" myth

You can be sure there will be always someone will say its not that hard . And that , that means very different for selected subaru / STI owners. I always wondered what is that , that means for them ... lol
They just denying ( the guys who argue against this fact) to see we actually compere to the spark plug change the STI vs the evo spark plug change, and it is harder and a lot more time consuming

But end of the day hard to argue with facts... specially when you even timing it. Let say at the service area( where you have 10 or 30 minutes) , or side of the road...
When you come in 3 cylinders and leave 3 cylinders with a Subaru and you leave with 4 running cylinders with an Evo

Amby is the best troller ever. I dont think he ever owned an Evo, but he def. has a strong opinion on it, which is at least weird from his side, because he is the one who fight the strongest against those opinions who doesnt have a Subaru and make comments on it. I never really got it why he is in the Evo forum though, specially when he has such a hard wired connection with Subaru in his heart and mind. ( which i however appreciated it ) Always makes me wonder; why would you torture your self on the "dark side "

Based on his comments he doesn't even know , if you actually do racing over period of time, that means and involves a lot more then just steering a car.

Which many of you actually already knows.

he is def. a quite of character .

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 25, 2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:13 AM
kaj

Thank you, I'm well aware what you wrote. What I was getting at is why you care about a power dip at 2000 rpm in a car that is designed to be driven above 3000 rpm.
I thought he explained it pretty well…?

Originally Posted by Robevo RS

You can be sure there will be always someone will say its not that hard . And that , that means very different for selected subaru / STI owners. I always wondered what is that , that means for them ... lol
They just denying ( the guys who argue against this fact) to see we actually compere to the spark plug change the STI vs the evo spark plug change, and it is harder and a lot more time consuming .
I hear ya. Depends on what someone’s level of “harder” is. In my opinion, It’s harder and more time consuming in the way that changing a 5-lug wheel is harder and more time consuming than a 4-lug.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I thought he explained it pretty well…?

I hear ya. Depends on what someone’s level of “harder” is. In my opinion, It’s harder and more time consuming in the way that changing a 5-lug wheel is harder and more time consuming than a 4-lug.
yes pretty much.

Quick Reply: 2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos