Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 08:17 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Took my sweet time on this. Job change.
https://www.evolutionm.net/articles/evo-x-vs-2015-sti/

Last edited by Noize; Jul 26, 2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 08:37 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Took my sweet time on this. Job change.
https://www.evolutionm.net/articles/evo-x-vs-2015-sti/
I hear the newest Sti is very good. I know a guy running one in B Stock at local autox. He is faster than most cars out there.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice review Noize. I'd agree with pretty much everything, except for that (personally) the X is just unownably ugly. I drove them a few times trying to force myself to like it, but I just can't.

I'll reiterate what I posted before about the Sti, as I did a track day in 95ish degree heat and I could do about 1/2 hot lap before the gauge started climbing. Brakes are much better with new pads.

Noize mentioned that the pseudo yaw control can be turned off, but only if you completely turn off traction control. The "Trac" mode still has it.

Also, messing around with center diff settings seems to have a more pronounced affect than it did on my IX. At lower speeds, setting it one step off locked makes it more tail happy. I didn't get to test it at high speeds yet as the car has gone to **** at both my track days.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliMR
Nice review Noize. I'd agree with pretty much everything, except for that (personally) the X is just unownably ugly. I drove them a few times trying to force myself to like it, but I just can't.

I'll reiterate what I posted before about the Sti, as I did a track day in 95ish degree heat and I could do about 1/2 hot lap before the gauge started climbing. Brakes are much better with new pads.

Noize mentioned that the pseudo yaw control can be turned off, but only if you completely turn off traction control. The "Trac" mode still has it.

Also, messing around with center diff settings seems to have a more pronounced affect than it did on my IX. At lower speeds, setting it one step off locked makes it more tail happy. I didn't get to test it at high speeds yet as the car has gone to **** at both my track days.
Do the WRX/STI's still not have an external oil cooler???
Old Jul 27, 2015, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure, but they get really hot really fast. I'm looking into easy mods, like retrofitting the old IC sprayer and adding one for the radiator, turbo blanket (supposedly requires removing the IC to install), try removing the undertray, and some other things like cutting out the holes in the fender vents bigger, but it is so bad that I doubt any quick fixes will cure it.

This last track day, I ran the tank down on the way in and filled it with 100 octane (since it was knocking last time on regular CA premium) and it still knocked really bad once it got hot, and as I said it only got about 1/2 lap before the temp gauge started moving. 95ish degree day. This time, we were running 30 min sessions alternating cars/bikes so it probably wouldn't have been as bad if it got to sit longer, but the first time I opened it up (2nd session, first I bed new pads and just took it easy) it started popping overheat warnings. Then once it was hot, it started to knock.

I'd like to hear from anyone else who has tracked these or even hooned them on a 95+ degree day to see if they have had issues too, but from looking at the logs everything looks good other than the heat creeping up.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 05:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Adding a real external oil cooler will do wonders. If it is just like the older EJ25's then it just has that lame little finned oil filter mount to cool things.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:54 PM
kaj

I'm not sure, but they get really hot really fast. I'm looking into easy mods, like retrofitting the old IC sprayer and adding one for the radiator, turbo blanket (supposedly requires removing the IC to install), try removing the undertray, and some other things like cutting out the holes in the fender vents bigger, but it is so bad that I doubt any quick fixes will cure it.

This last track day, I ran the tank down on the way in and filled it with 100 octane (since it was knocking last time on regular CA premium) and it still knocked really bad once it got hot, and as I said it only got about 1/2 lap before the temp gauge started moving. 95ish degree day. This time, we were running 30 min sessions alternating cars/bikes so it probably wouldn't have been as bad if it got to sit longer, but the first time I opened it up (2nd session, first I bed new pads and just took it easy) it started popping overheat warnings. Then once it was hot, it started to knock.

I'd like to hear from anyone else who has tracked these or even hooned them on a 95+ degree day to see if they have had issues too, but from looking at the logs everything looks good other than the heat creeping up.

Do you still have a top mount intercooler? Because there really isn't any way to avoid heat soak.
I would do three back-to-back pulls to data log. I could see the whp drop after each.
Maybe that's part of your detonation issue?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Do you still have a top mount intercooler? Because there really isn't any way to avoid heat soak.
I would do three back-to-back pulls to data log. I could see the whp drop after each.
Did you do this on a chassis dyno or on the road and one of them datalog virtual dyno things? Not saying your findings are false, but top mount intercoolers work a lot better when actually moving than can be replicated on a dyno... Unless you strap one of them blower fans on to the intercooler
Old Jul 28, 2015, 01:00 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by warmmilk
Did you do this on a chassis dyno or on the road and one of them datalog virtual dyno things? Not saying your findings are false, but top mount intercoolers work a lot better when actually moving than can be replicated on a dyno... Unless you strap one of them blower fans on to the intercooler
I do all my data logs on the road. It consisted of a pull, u-turn, pull, u-turn, pull. Less and less power on each run.
Maybe a top-mount can resist all that rising heat coming from the turbo and engine, but I'm not sure how. I do know the car did this every time.
I can't think of a better explanation.

An intercooler bolted on top of a heat source never made sense to me.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I'm not ready to really start modding, as it only has 4k miles. Waiting to see if the butter pistons blow. If they do, then it is party time. Also trying to decide if I want to keep this car long term. I like it a lot...other than the motor and it being a little too refined. If they go with the DI motor and it is more tunable then I might swap cars. I really miss the IX, but I searched for a while and couldn't find a good one for reasonable money.

I did order some heat shielding material to wrap the intake box and sleeves for some of the hoses. If they arrive in time, I'll test it at the track next week. I added a Cobb SF intake/box since the last track day, but it is pretty poorly sealed and probably will make soak worse as-is. I just wanted some turbo sounds, and everyone says not to go with a drop in filter (which made my IX a lot louder) for some reason. Also trying to figure out a water mister system for the IC and radiator, but I'll look into oil cooler. I rather not install anything that can't be popped off for warranty work at this point, though my dealer so far has been really cool. With other brands, I've had the dealer install coolers and other bits and they'd roll it into the warranty, but idk if Subaru will do it.

Last edited by CaliMR; Jul 28, 2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:13 AM
kaj

I'm not ready to really start modding, as it only has 4k miles. Waiting to see if the butter pistons blow. If they do, then it is party time. Also trying to decide if I want to keep this car long term. I like it a lot...other than the motor and it being a little too refined. If they go with the DI motor and it is more tunable then I might swap cars. I really miss the IX, but I searched for a while and couldn't find a good one for reasonable money.

I did order some heat shielding material to wrap the intake box and sleeves for some of the hoses. If they arrive in time, I'll test it at the track next week. I added a Cobb SF intake/box since the last track day, but it is pretty poorly sealed and probably will make soak worse as-is. I just wanted some turbo sounds, and everyone says not to go with a drop in filter (which made my IX a lot louder) for some reason. Also trying to figure out a water mister system for the IC and radiator, but I'll look into oil cooler. I rather not install anything that can't be popped off for warranty work at this point, though my dealer so far has been really cool. With other brands, I've had the dealer install coolers and other bits and they'd roll it into the warranty, but idk if Subaru will do it.
The only reason I could see not using a drop-in filter is if it's foam. Is that what they meant? Weird.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Cobb said not to use one. I've seen people on the scooby forums say it too. Cobb didn't give me a definite answer as to why other than it messes with the tune (stock or their tunes), so it might partially be marketing, but they have been pretty straight up in my dealings with them over the years.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:12 PM
kaj

Cobb said not to use one. I've seen people on the scooby forums say it too. Cobb didn't give me a definite answer as to why other than it messes with the tune (stock or their tunes), so it might partially be marketing, but they have been pretty straight up in my dealings with them over the years.
Interesting. Cobb tunes are usually "off the shelf". Maybe that's why. I dunno
Old Jul 29, 2015, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Their off the shelf tunes worked fine with a drop in on the IX from what I'd heard, though mine in particular did not like the tune even when it was completely stock. I had to get it pro-tuned. Usually drop ins are ok since they don't change the maf at all, just a tad more flow. I'm getting really high idle fueling adjustment with the SF, axle back, and OTS SF tune, but once it's off idle it is knocking less than it did stock. I have only had it out on the highway since the install though, been busy at work. I'm looking into local pro-tuners too, but I haven't decided if I'm keeping the SF yet. It is really just a noise maker.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 05:58 PM
kaj

Hehe. I'm still getting used to the terms "pro tune" and "protuner".

Quick Reply: 2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos