Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer by me is both Subaru and Mitsubishi in one. I test drove both of them. Liked the sti a lot but loved the evo. The salesman said before you make your final decision I want to show you something. Went back to service to find....wait for it......a 2015 sti on a lift with no engine in it. Gone at 3k miles stock. Talked to mechanic for a while. Said he has seen 3 of these happen. And never has evos in for anything other than oil changes and alignments. Hearing that straight from the source had me leave in an Evo. The sti is really nice inside though. Just too nervous about that old engine and its well documented problems.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
One of the bike guys at the track today had an Sti and blew up the motor, now he is looking for an Evo. His was running almost 400 whp though, and it was about 10 years old.

The track was relatively cool today at 90 degrees ambient, and the coolant never went over 230. It mostly was in the 220s. The temp reading at the MAF is much better now after insulating the airbox, stayed within 3 degrees of ambient while the car was at speed. Unfortunately no temp readings post IC, but I had no knock other than at light throttle and it always does that a little.

Brakes got a little squishy and one time the pedal almost hit the floor, but that was after 2 hot laps, and I'm using XP10s front and XP8s rear, dot4, and all else stock. I was not being super aggressive on the brakes since I was on stock tires.

Was being the operative word.

That happened mid-corner and the sudden loss of traction put me in a spin. So time to find better tires. And detail the interior Also I might have had it set one click off of locked on the center diff and been drifting...I was the only car that showed up so I figured I'd experiment a bit. In that setting and the TC off, the rear will move a lot. Especially if you do a little lift to get it started then mash the throttle.

Last edited by CaliMR; Aug 13, 2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
what fluid?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Ate amber 200. I like that it doesn't need to be changed more than regular fluid for street use, though it isn't the best track fluid. It works great in my E30 which is basically a spec car, and I usually bleed before every event and flush once a year. I'm going to try adding ducts after I get tires.

Hopefully I haven't taken this thread too far off track, but I figured if anyone is interested in an Sti they'd be interested in how it does on track in near stock form.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
I will chime in as I owned 2 Subarus... an 07 STi and an 05 WRX... and of course 2 Evos, 8 GSR and 9 MR.

I will start with the Subies as that was my first of the 4. The 07 STi was notorious for hesitation issues and the one I had was bad. Even after running a Cobb AP with an OTS map, it was still there. I sold it and picked up a 9 MR. My first Evo was like night and day compared to the 07 STi. I realized that the GD was even further behind compared to any Evo. I kept the Evo for almost 3 years.. wished I would of kept it but I was buying a place at the time so it had to go. Sold it then picked up an 05 WRX about 9 months later. I got the car fairly cheap and even with bolt ons, there was no comparison but I loved the car. It was reliable and and never had problems with it. Was slow though like I mentioned.
About a year later I came across another Evo and picked it up. Sold the WRX and focused on the Evo. This 8 came with some issues but it was due to the previous owner. I sold the car as I started itching for a X but I never did pick one up.

my point of this rant is I considered a new STi(test drove one and the WRX) but the fact of the matter is the engine is what scares me the most. Until Subaru changes the engine like it did the WRX I wont buy another STI. Not saying the new engine is better since it hasn't been around long enough to prove itself, but it cannot be worst the the current STI engine.

I have decided on a X MR and being that the EVO is no more (for the foreseeable future) makes me want one even more. I know the car is already dated but I really cannot find another else out there that I really want. Even now approaching my 40s and owning a couple of BMWs, my heart is still with the EVO... so I applaud the OP for making the jump... but it is a risky one.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
And what Evo owner doesn't mind occasionally reading that their car is superior to the STI/WRX.
WORD
Old Aug 14, 2015, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
I will chime in as I owned 2 Subarus... an 07 STi and an 05 WRX... and of course 2 Evos, 8 GSR and 9 MR.

I will start with the Subies as that was my first of the 4. The 07 STi was notorious for hesitation issues and the one I had was bad. Even after running a Cobb AP with an OTS map, it was still there. I sold it and picked up a 9 MR. My first Evo was like night and day compared to the 07 STi. I realized that the GD was even further behind compared to any Evo. I kept the Evo for almost 3 years.. wished I would of kept it but I was buying a place at the time so it had to go. Sold it then picked up an 05 WRX about 9 months later. I got the car fairly cheap and even with bolt ons, there was no comparison but I loved the car. It was reliable and and never had problems with it. Was slow though like I mentioned.
About a year later I came across another Evo and picked it up. Sold the WRX and focused on the Evo. This 8 came with some issues but it was due to the previous owner. I sold the car as I started itching for a X but I never did pick one up.

my point of this rant is I considered a new STi(test drove one and the WRX) but the fact of the matter is the engine is what scares me the most. Until Subaru changes the engine like it did the WRX I wont buy another STI. Not saying the new engine is better since it hasn't been around long enough to prove itself, but it cannot be worst the the current STI engine.

I have decided on a X MR and being that the EVO is no more (for the foreseeable future) makes me want one even more. I know the car is already dated but I really cannot find another else out there that I really want. Even now approaching my 40s and owning a couple of BMWs, my heart is still with the EVO... so I applaud the OP for making the jump... but it is a risky one.
Dude there is a story on the Subaru forums about a guy who's couple year old Sti motor blew up on him. He traded it in (read gave it away) on a new Sti and THAT one blew up on him too LOL. He was so embarrassed because his friends and family told him not to get another one and he did anyway. It's hard not to laugh at that but honestly any and all cars can and do have major problems. Some just have a whole heck of a lot more than others. And then don't fix them for 10 years...
I drove a 15 Sti and it still had that terrible hesitation and it felt like the tune was complete garbage with literally less than 10 miles on it. Sounded damn good though and the steering feel was almost as good as the evo. I just don't want to wonder if my engine will blow up every time I drive my car.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 07:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliMR
Ate amber 200..
Highly recommend Torque RT700. Best fluid I have used to date and I've used almost all.

Works great and track and lasts a long time, which is good because it costs a good amount.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am the OP and here is my update:

I traded the STI with all the mods and got a Audi S3. The STI was a great car, I wouldn't mind getting another one in the future but the engine is ancient and the gas mileage sucks!

The S3 that I have now runs significantly faster and quicker than my STI with all the stuf done(E-85 ,headers, tune, exhaust, CF driveshaft). In my opinion and despite not having the STI anymore I can say that is a very fine car, too bad the car sucks for gas mileage though.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I am the OP and here is my update:

I traded the STI with all the mods and got a Audi S3. The STI was a great car, I wouldn't mind getting another one in the future but the engine is ancient and the gas mileage sucks!

The S3 that I have now runs significantly faster and quicker than my STI with all the stuf done(E-85 ,headers, tune, exhaust, CF driveshaft). In my opinion and despite not having the STI anymore I can say that is a very fine car, too bad the car sucks for gas mileage though.
What was your average STI gas mileage? What year Audi S3?

edit: nevermind, you answered/continued in another thread.

Last edited by moparfan; Mar 18, 2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old May 15, 2017, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My best friend has had a 2008 wrx since 2011. When he finally put over 90k miles on it (Cobb so, stock turbo, Sti tmic, downpipe, full exhaust), the lower radiator hose melted through and bam. No more block. Subies have that special heat shield on the lower coolant hose and keep it very quiet that it's a main and top cause of failure. Hose is literally less than 3/8" away from the exhaust manifold. Evo is my pick all day everyday.
Old May 15, 2017, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Ah no, that's not a top cause of failure. Your friend is the only person I have heard of suffering from that problem.
Old May 16, 2017, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Why is the first mod of Subaru owners a roof rack?
Old May 17, 2017, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
They're kinda small inside. My wife and I elbow each other in the ribs fighting over the use of the center arm rest in her 2004 WRX. Its like being in a light plane.
Old May 18, 2017, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
:
I actually did think about that already many times. Might be does takes away your eye from the actual car.
Can you imagine the design, if a roof rack can make the CAR more appalling?

Quick Reply: 2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos