Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos

Folks,

When I say believe the hype I really mean it. The guys at Subaru have done it and very well done by the way. Back in Sep 2004 I was privilege to pick one of the true first ever sold Evo 8 MRs in the country, the car put the bar very high in every aspect (steering, brakes, seats, suspension and off course motor). Subarus STI were very good but always a step behind. The seats were never like the Recaros from Mitsubishi , the steering wasn't as direct as the one found on the Evo and the engine as you know was behind(it is still behind).

The new 2015 STI chasis, steering and suspension is flat out bad ***. The factory tune(even if you call it lean) makes the 2015 STI significantly quicker than the previous GR model which by the way I also owned one(new 2012 STI sedan back in 2012). The current model STI is boosting about 2.5psi more than the previous one so that might explain why it feels quicker..

The new STI with the factory optional short throw shifter reminds me so much of one of my two Evo 8 MR that owned, it is very precise and has very little play. I readed every magazines launched about Evo 8, Evo 9 and Evo X and it seems that the new STI best matches the current Evo X . The new STI pulls nearly a G(I believe the Evo X does slightly better).

The brakes are excellent, you would expect that from the Brembo set up. The suspension is very firm but the car is still comfortable and the steering is nuts, just like an Evo steering.

The interior space is noticeably larger than on a Evo. If I have to summerize, I would describe the newest STI as close to a Evo X as far is handling but with a much better interior. If you are tired of your Evo and you think that you want a new change I would encourage you to take a spin on a new STI.

I know ahead of time that the looks of the ar is not your cup of tea, I am aware, it wasn't my cup of tea either but after a mere one minute driving the car I totally forgot about the exterior looks which by the way, it is a very subjective topic. All I am saying is please have someone give you a ride or go to the dealer for a spin, you wouldn't be disappointed at all

The downside of the car is that they are still using the same EJ25 engine which seems to be prone to the ringland failure but the actually reported fails are very minimal though.

As far is bang for the buck?, you are getting a lot of good things with this car. I want to pint it out that they did an excellent job on the interior quality, specifically on the dash which is now soft to the touch. The array of gauges and on board computer on the center of the dash is amazing, it is a multiple gauges in one. You also get things that were unthinkable on a Evo 8-9 like rear view camera, bluetooth, heated seats, cruise control, dual climatizer, etc.

Here is my list of critics:

1) Gas mileage is mediocre
2) Engine could be prone to ringland
3) Wheels are ugliers than ever
4) Stereo is similar to the Evo 8-9 from factory(plain Jane speakers, not too loud)
5) Center console/arm rest positioned virtually"in the back seat", it is useless
6) The engine layout has the most bizarre design, still a big PITA to work on.

Anyways, I only wanted to share with you guys. I still come here and write some reviews and provide some feedback for the community. It has been over 10 years of loyalty to this forum and still counting. Take care guys!

### UPDATE ON PAGE 3### 313whp/396lb-tq (mustang dyno after retuning on e-85)

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jan 1, 2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Nice review. I hope you enjoy the car. I think it will be a great platform in the future as I think JR Tuned got his STI already in the 10s.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

^^ Thanks. The STI aren't really that god for the dragstrip. The amount of money that you have to put on then in order to make them quick is ridiculous. The current platform STI still carries the EJ25 although is rumored that the direct injection version will arrive on the next STI.

I had the first wrx back in 02 and that was garbage, soft suspension, poor brakes , weak transmission, mediocre. I got the 2012 STI sedan and it was a good looking car, not bad but the interior quality wasn't as good as the new one. I am firmly saying that this new STI is a benchmark in performance and quality built, it really and finally rivals an evo (except the seats). The current simple bolts on this EJ25 engine are yielding great torque and hp but the old school 4G63 or 4B11 are ahead..
Old Dec 14, 2014, 02:52 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Going to do a site feature on this soon with a friend's car, stay tuned. SAYC trumps brake biased torque "transfer". Don't limit power, Subie; put it where it needs to be!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ I am telling you.. I don't know all the details on what they did to this car but it is very impressive on how it handles. There are a few thing that I want to point out like the looks not being everyone's cup of coffee or reusing the same EJ25 engine, etc but there are other bigger upgrades that made a big difference(handling, steering, interior). Another plus on the car is that they kept the price the same from last year although they added more safety features and more equipment at no cost.

Having owned the previous model(2012 sedan STI) I can attest that this newer 2015 STI model feels quicker. Not only this newer model is getting excellent acceleration and trap speeds but it is also boosting approximately 2.5 psi more from factory.

I only went for a test drive to test the WRX(which I never ended up testing ) but instead they gave me the keys of an STI and it was love at the first sight. Within the first minute I knew it was my type of car. This vehicle is truly the closest thing to a good handling Evo X... I encourage people to go for a test drive.

Just like I said, it is not the hype, this car lives to its name. With that being said, YES, an Evo will run circles once you mod the engine but with basic bolt ons(exhaust, air filter, tune) they are in the same league...
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
thanks for the review. i could probably live with the confused appearance if it had a good motor.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice review of the new STi. I definitely like the looks of the interior and gauges but, have a hardtime with the front/fascia of the new 2015. Its very unusual and not my favorite. I Really dig the new interior thought and see that they spent alot of R&D on that unlike the Evo that is subratacting things from the latest model like Recaros..why??. It's looking more like a base model lancer.

Carlos I saw your new STi on AZAWD...very nice purchase. I like the Silver color.

Barry
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to say I don't like the looks of STi but sadly we can start calling it our evo XI or 2016 evo X
Old Dec 16, 2014, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I like the look of the new WRX. and it looks like the best deal by far for an AWD turbo car.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I like the look of the new WRX. and it looks like the best deal by far for an AWD turbo car.
Untill the Focus RS comes out
Old Dec 16, 2014, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ZanarkO
If it has AWD. Is this confirmed for NA yet?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 09:24 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by si_to_evo
I hate to say I don't like the looks of STi but sadly we can start calling it our evo XI or 2016 evo X

So true!!

Nice review OP!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ZanarkO
the wrx sug list is just over 26k.
the focus rs may actually be FWD, but FWD or AWD it will not be 26k. more like 36k.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Folks,

I have a significant update as far is engine mods but before I say anything I would like to wish everyone a happy new year. I want to share some significant data that you would love to read.

This is the summary, I purchased a new 2015 STI and the same day I ordered a Cobb AP which arrived two days later. With less than 200 miles I was running the Stage I(Cobb AP) which felt great. Within a week I installed a Cobb DP and updated the Off- the- shelf Cobb map to a basic Stage II.

So, I decided to install some 1100 cc injectors, some Perrin headers, a fuel pump and a Cobb air filter . The car was custom tuned on a Mustang Dyno and made an additional 18whp and 37lb-tq over the stage II (ACN 91 oct gas). We then switched to E-85 and the car picked an additional 32whp/66lb-tq for a gran total of 50whp/103lb-tq over the stage II.

1) Custom tuned on 91oct yielded 281whp/330lb-tq @19psi

2) Custom tuned on E-85 yielded 313whp/396 lb-tq@20.5 psi

My car was tuned very conservatively, running a high 10 to flat 11 AFRs and with some margin of running higher boost but rememebr, I am at 2600ft levation and there is only 91oct(ACN) available.

This engine is very torquey folks!!! you get nearly 400lb-tq at 3000rms but unfortunately it starts to fade over 5500 rpms as the stock turbo strugles to maintain 14 psi.

Now more than ever I have the absolute big picture on why the Evos always dominate the 1/4 mile over the STI. The STI power and torque fade out after shifting to higher hears, the eficciency falls but that is exactly where the Evos shines. The Evo Engine maintains boost, torque and HP higher in the power band right after you shift(opposite of the STI).

On an autocross or tight road course the midrange torque on the STI makes it very competitive.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos-img_0656.jpg   2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos-img_0657.jpg  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 08:01 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the past I have had 3 evos, a 09WRX and then a 10 STI SE. How is the road/steering feel on the new STI? Evo with some race rubber you can feel the road with an accurate steering like high end sports car. My STI's steering and friends 04STI I've driven many years back always feels numb when comparing to the evo.

I'm more interested in the driving feel. The evo is very reactive and nimble feel which I like very much. It's one of the reason I've picked up a Fiesta ST as a beater.

I've heard the new 2015 Golf R is much improved over last gen and also a terrific car. I did test drive the S3 and was very impressed but still 75% to Evo in terms of driving feel. I am interested in the torque vectoring on the STI and I do need to test drive one.

Quick Reply: 2015 STI own review after owning 4 Evos