Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29781/mid-engine-corvette-2018-rumors/

Old Sep 13, 2016, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29781/mid-engine-corvette-2018-rumors/

The mid-engined version of everyone's favorite American sports car, the Chevrolet Corvette, is coming. Or at least, a lot of auto industry folks think it's coming, thanks to all the rumors, leaked info, and test mules that have been spied recently. After decades of speculation and renderings, this is what we know so far about the most fervently anticipated American sports car in history.

There have been rumors about Chevrolet developing a mid-engine Corvette for half a century. Indeed, Chevy has built a number of mid-engine concepts through the years, only to abandon them somewhere in development.

The first official prototype was revealed all the way back in 1970, and it was nearly production ready. In 1986, GM showed off the Corvette Indy, complete with a mid-mounted twin-turbo V8 and all-wheel-drive. Then, in 2002, Cadillac revealed the stunning Cien concept at the Detroit Auto show. In between the Cien's axles, behind the passengers, was a 7.5L V12 with 750 horsepower. It wasn't branded as a Chevy, but industry watchers took it as a sign that GM wanted to do something big.

In 2004, it was decided that the Corvette had reached the limit of grip with the traditional front engine, rear-wheel-drive layout. As Bob Lutz explains, the design team got as far as constructing two full-scale clay models, a Corvette and the equivalent Cadillac XLR, both with the engine in the middle. Sadly, the recession of 2008 (and GM's eventual government bailout) caused the automaker to put a hold on, and eventually cancel, this mid-engined Corvette project.

Now, development on the C7's replacement has begun, and rumor has it, a mid-engine variant is in the works. Mark Reuss, head of Global Product development, says that the C8 will be "revolutionary." To some Corvette watchers, that can only mean one thing: a mid-engine Chevy supercar.

The only reason the Corvette would switch to a mid-engined layout is for performance. Engineers at GM understand that there is a limit to how much power a front-engine supercar can put down, and how much cornering grip it can achieve. Although the current Corvette Z06 is a fantastic sports car, it's inherently held back by its front-mid-engine layout. With the engine in the middle, the car's weight distribution can be optimized, with turn-in and corner holding capabilities benefitting as a result.

The mid-engine Corvette has long seemed like a fantasy, a daydream promoted by automotive journalists, Corvette loyalists, and those who want to see an American automaker finally build a direct competitor to the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini. Recent evidence suggests that this wish could finally come true. While we're hesitant to call it a sure thing, we think there's a strong likelihood it could happen. And we can't wait to get our hands on it.

A Hybrid Version Is a Possibility

In an August report, the Detroit News said the mid-engine Corvette is codenamed "Emperor," and that a hybrid version could be in the pipeline. Former GM product executive speculated that the mid-engine Corvette could have a small battery and electric motor to decrease fuel consumption and enable all-wheel-drive.

GM Might Already Be Testing a Prototype

After months of increasingly intense speculation, Autoblog and Car and Driver got their hands on spy photos of what's claimed to be a mid-engine Corvette prototype testing in Michigan. The photos show a heavily-camouflaged car, but it's clear that what is shown is a mid-engine chassis of some sort.

Of course, a prototype isn't definitive proof that a mid-engine Corvette will reach production, but it seems increasingly likely.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 05:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I call BS till its at the dealer

There have been mid engine vette rumors longer than there have been vettes
Old Sep 18, 2016, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I think there is danger in this direction.

To me, a Corvette is Front Engine and RWD. Having two platforms splits the resources and engineering talent while having a relatively small market. I assume the market is small because of the big price tag this should carry. Even they are sure to price it to make money at low volume - I don't feel it would be worth it.

I'd rather they lose the weight that the corvette has been gaining with each successively better modern generation. My voice is not worth much anyway because I can't afford this rumored mid-engine Vette (or even the higher-spec current Front Engine, RWD models) anyway.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I see Corvettes at motels off of the interstate. They are popular touring cars. What I don't see is much luggage going into this mid engine car.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I like it.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 08:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I predict a lot of these being wadded up. Mid engine cars handle nothing like front engine cars. The typical vette guy is gonna toss this thing into a turn like his previous (front engine) vette, and it's going to bite him.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I predict a lot of these being wadded up. Mid engine cars handle nothing like front engine cars. The typical vette guy is gonna toss this thing into a turn like his previous (front engine) vette, and it's going to bite him.
I predict none of these are gonna be wadded up cause GM is never gonna make it
Old Sep 29, 2016, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wouldnt mind one if i could afford it