Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Civic Type R

Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
I have little use for hero 'ring runs. Frankly, I don't trust the manufacturers not to cheat a little here and there for a gigantic payoff net time.

My belief level in the car will be solidified when it's full production version is in the hands of local journalists, and we can see same-day comparisons in something like Lightning Lap.

Even if this car is truly good, the hype train is moving substantially faster.
I agree to a degree... the biggest part I have trouble believing is brakes not fading

but another reason my manufacturers get better times is they have 1 driver (usually a race car driver) drive the car on the ring for months, so they're really dialed in to the car and the track. whereas the journalist usually isn't a race car driver and they only have the car for a few days. Although the ones that do 'ring laptimes know the track quite well...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
I agree to a degree... the biggest part I have trouble believing is brakes not fading

but another reason my manufacturers get better times is they have 1 driver (usually a race car driver) drive the car on the ring for months, so they're really dialed in to the car and the track. whereas the journalist usually isn't a race car driver and they only have the car for a few days. Although the ones that do 'ring laptimes know the track quite well...
tires, driver, conditions... iirc the evo was on yoko a046s in the WET by a driver when it did 8:11. you could see him visibly losing traction early on in the race

-
also, journalists aren't going to have a cage of protection in the car when they do their runs, nor is there any incentive for them to set a blazing fast run, aside from what they normally try to test.

Last edited by kyoo; Apr 25, 2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
What is the drivetrain loss percentage to the wheels for a FWD car?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
What is the drivetrain loss percentage to the wheels for a FWD car?
Difficult to tell but one thing is for sure is less than a RWD and AWD car.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SharkyPR
Difficult to tell but one thing is for sure is less than a RWD and AWD car.
Doesn't that depend on where the engine is located? I suspect mid/rear engine cars do not suffer much drivetrain loss.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
It depends on how much parts you have between the engine and the wheels.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
Doesn't that depend on where the engine is located? I suspect mid/rear engine cars do not suffer much drivetrain loss.
Originally Posted by ambystom01
It depends on how much parts you have between the engine and the wheels.
True
Old May 3, 2017, 03:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
I agree to a degree... the biggest part I have trouble believing is brakes not fading.
I saw this at New York Auto Show. It just looks dated already and I agree with warmmilk physics says you will have issues with any system that does everything. I see brake fade an issue.
Old May 3, 2017, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

The CTR is nowhere near the physics 'limit'. Check out of some the fwd time attack cars. As for brake fade, it did not appear to be an issue in the ring video.

Old May 3, 2017, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
you'll be a lot ballsier in a time attack too if you've got a cage surrounding you. just saying.
Old May 3, 2017, 03:25 PM
EvoM Guru

The CTR is nowhere near the physics 'limit'. Check out of some the fwd time attack cars. As for brake fade, it did not appear to be an issue in the ring video.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14e1sCpn0wE[url]
who said anything about the CTR being near the physics limit?

my comment about brake fade was that I was surprised that stock brakes can handle it, not that they can't. assuming the pad they did the 'ring record lap with are the same pads that are in the car at the dealer... which I'm not entirely convinced of
Old May 3, 2017, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FwdtoAWD
I agree with warmmilk physics says you will have issues with any system that does everything.
So what are the suspected 'issues'. Do you think a fwd car can't effectively put down ~300whp while steering/braking? Plenty of evidence to the contrary out there. Not the least of which is the ring video Honda posted.
Old May 3, 2017, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
So what are the suspected 'issues'. Do you think a fwd car can't effectively put down ~300whp while steering/braking? Plenty of evidence to the contrary out there. Not the least of which is the ring video Honda posted.
The question for those interested in getting one is how much are they going to build. This car could, effectively, be as unattainable as the previous not sold in the US cars.
Old May 3, 2017, 07:17 PM
EvoM Guru

are you referring to the comments about suspected cheating for the 'ring time?
Old May 3, 2017, 07:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This a street car from factory not a tuned race car. There are amazing fwd cars (I love fwd cars see name) and Honda builds some of the best out there. I am not saying you can't achieve amazing things with fwd with some $$$. But, there are physical limitations with the fwd just as there are with rwd. One those limits is all the work is placed on the front wheels including braking, accelerating, and steering. All through the front tires. Maybe those Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s are just that good.

I still find it hard to believe that you can have street brakes from factory not have fading issues doing what was accomplished, but maybe Honda has the magical formula. We shall see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Civic Type R