Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Updated Tesla - 0-60 in 2.28s, 1/4 in 10.5 @ 125

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Updated Tesla - 0-60 in 2.28s, 1/4 in 10.5 @ 125

I guess it cant handle the continuous duty of a road course. But for real-world roads, this thing is a beast.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla...t-test-review/
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
5,000 lbs with driver, ugh...
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
These Tesla cars are fast period. I've been to the local drag strip and watched the sedans whoop GTR, Z06, and many super cars. It won't beat Custom builds but for an off the showroom car you can't beat its straight line capabilities. This company is pioneering the electric car and all other manufacturers are following. I don't want to see the day Driver has no input in the driving experience, It's looking more real each day.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:19 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
This doesn't surprise me at all. With 100% avail torque at 0RPM, Electric cars are perfect for drag racing. Too bad it's one of the most boring videos ever. LOL
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:23 PM
EvoM Guru

I had an extended test drive in a P80D last year. It was fast around town but on the hwy not so much. It felt very numb overall though and did not hide it's weight what so ever and the interior felt very kit car.

I'm excited about what Tesla is doing for sure, not discounting that at all.

However I am looking forward to the lighter smaller sports cars that come out of it. I loved the elise based Tesla they first did but it was way out of reach price wise. Once they get that dynamic in a mid-priced sports car is when things get really exciting...
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Feb 20, 2017)
Old Feb 20, 2017, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
if anyone is interested in electric cars in general I highly recommend watching "who killed the electric car" its an extremely informative documentary on why electric cars are not allowed to flourish on the planet.

for me I learned electric cars suck because the technology is not allowed to progress because of "big oil"
there is still trillions of gallons of oil left in the ground that will get sold.

100 years ago HALF the cars on the road were electric and people LOVED them. gas won out not because it was better but because there is more money to be made selling oil.

if technology had progressed naturally instead of being suppressed we would have electric cars that weigh 1500lbs. cost 10,000 . recharge in 10 minutes. and travel 1000 miles on a charge. there would be very little need if any for gas cars right now.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I had an extended test drive in a P80D last year. It was fast around town but on the hwy not so much. It felt very numb overall though and did not hide it's weight what so ever and the interior felt very kit car.

I'm excited about what Tesla is doing for sure, not discounting that at all.

However I am looking forward to the lighter smaller sports cars that come out of it. I loved the elise based Tesla they first did but it was way out of reach price wise. Once they get that dynamic in a mid-priced sports car is when things get really exciting...
The lack of exhaust sound and drama surely undersells the speed it's generating. Many times I end up driving faster in a powerful auto car vs a loud exhaust stick car.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Razorlab

I second our experience with Tesla...Kit Car interior that is so far down on typical Audi/Mercedes/BMW/Lexus,
The batteries are 1000lb of the 5000lb total weight and their weight is reasonably well handled, but you cannot hide the balance of 4000lb.

Tesla is awesome commute car in Silicon Valley.
Its too big for European cities, and not all that suitable to steep ascents in Alps and Apennine mountains-in addition to limited number of high-speed charging stations.

In my view its a little like E85 and FlexFuel cars...if you are committed to the cause you can do it.

Above all for me, its beyond any expectations fantastic first-attempt for clean-sheet new manufacturer employing vastly non-automotive workforce in a non-automotive oriented Silicon Valley- although wealthy with total car-nuts population some of which can and did substantially contribute to the final product.

If I had the $100K+ for commute car I would own one for the experience and to support the cause.
I am fully aware, and dare say educated, on the downsides of Batteries, nasty manufacturing process and nasty disposal problem, and the fact that ingredients come from conflict zones and are wrapped in blood money.
I know.
But gasoline is no better for conflict and pollution, and frankly I don't know what is the right answer: if I did purchase 1 such car, my influence/impact would be so minute that is neglegible.

The fact Tesla is largely manufactured in-house in Fremont California- is a BIG PLUS- its truly American made, and I am always ready to spend 20% premium and more for American Made.

The accelerations are cool but, only a novelty, no practical application.
There is no advantage to accelerating from 0-60 in 2.8 seconds over 3.8 seconds or 6.8 seconds in the environment where Tesla is best: commuting.

If Tesla was capable sports performance sedan, that can repeat the feat and corner, that can be driven hard on real roads, than the performance would have some significance.
Now: near none. Its a "dress code" car for the Silicon Valley executives and those that want to appear as such, with bragging right for fast acceleration from 0-60mph, that slows significantly by 100mph and cannot be repeated for little while after 1 or 2 such attempts.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I do like the idea what they try to do, but they business is a complete loss so far. They didn't make a dime yet as far as I know.
Also Tesla parts are insanely priced. Make no sense as it is right now as a DD, unless you have loaded with money.

To me is more of the hipster car then anything.

I however like the look of the tesla. I am just not sure about the pricing. I might sound I don't like the car or the idea, I DO, I just want to make that clear. But I think , bit too much of a hype around it, and too expensive for its on good.

( I loved the movie about the electric cars , which was mentioned above, we should have a lot more today on the road )
Old Feb 21, 2017, 04:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
business is a complete loss so far. They didn't make a dime yet as far as I know.
$2.3 billion in revenue last year would disagree with you.

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I however like the look of the tesla. I am just not sure about the pricing. I might sound I don't like the car or the idea, I DO, I just want to make that clear. But I think , bit too much of a hype around it, and too expensive for its on good.
76,230 car sales in 2016 would disagree with you.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 05:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
What happens when the tax credit for the cars go away? How much of their revenue was gov't subsidies?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 05:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
What happens when the tax credit for the cars go away? How much of their revenue was gov't subsidies?
In California they put a cap on rebates depending on income. If you made $150k/yr and filed single you are not eligible. Which is basically 90% of the people here in California who could afford a Tesla.

The Tesla tax incentive is only $2,500 anyway.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
$2.3 billion in revenue last year would disagree with you.

76,230 car sales in 2016 would disagree with you.
last time I was reading this:

http://time.com/money/4437888/tesla-quarterly-loss/

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/04/news...esla-earnings/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...he-profits-are

but now I am reading it seems they picking up

Hope fully they will do and keep growing.

https://www.recode.net/2016/10/26/13...arnings-profit

but they should change things around prices lol
Old Feb 21, 2017, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla...preview-2017-2
this is an interesting read about the company. if anyone cares lol
Old Feb 22, 2017, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
so I just watched last nite "the revenge of the electric car" its on utube in HD. produced by the same guy Chris Paine. its over 20 years since the EV1 débâcle. this video is a great update on the current market. watching this video had me amazed Tesla is still in business. its a great watch. no where near as good as "who killed the electric car" should be mandatory for anyone considering electrics.

I personally wouldnt buy a Tesla. the big guys could get mean and greedy at any turn and just squash that guy.

I personally considered buying a used Leaf last year. What scared me away was the ABSOLUTELY horrible resale value of any car ever. 2014 cost 35k. 2016 resale with 5-10k miles = 10k. show me another car that drops value faster.. do your research because ALL electric car manufactures are loosing money at it. essentially gambling with big money hoping its the future of cars. a must to get your foot in the door or you will be left behind strategy.

I really think the leaf would have done better if it werent so BUTT****UGLY. maybe even the deciding factor of why I stayed away. I do like this new BOLT EV. 238 mile range. great looking 4dr. I actually want. But I dont do american cars. they suck.

Quick Reply: Updated Tesla - 0-60 in 2.28s, 1/4 in 10.5 @ 125