Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Lower price 2012-2013 used model s any1 buying one?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Lower price 2012-2013 used model s any1 buying one?

On the tesla website they're selling used Model S's starting at $41K with 4xxxx miles including free supercharging. P85's starting at $43K more miles.

I think i might get a used one later this year if i find one in my budget with my options that i want.

Anyone else thinking about buying/bought a used Model S now that they are cheaper? ?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...5-performance/

http://www.teslarati.com/ludicrous-t...rsche-spinout/

Last edited by moparfan; Jun 30, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Do they do anything with the car batteries like have an exchange program? I don't see the original batteries performing like new over time and my gut tells me performance gets worse as range drops.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
"But power aside, the differentiating factor between the ambitious Porsche seen in the video and Tesla’s Model S and Model X is the use of an electric drivetrain that provides unparalleled traction to traditional engine-driveshaft-drivetrain assemblies found on vehicles with internal combustion engines. "

this made my day, what a clue less hipsters... lol They dont even notice the AWD vs RWD factor lol

what a bunch of BS they can come up all the time lol
Old Jul 4, 2017, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Tesla is good about repairing original owner's cars, and they have plenty of problems.
However, as car's get out of warranty, and are purchased used, the repairs and maintenance are likely up to the new owner.

Tesla does not "fail" for "small ticket items", the basic architecture is simple, but each individual building block is complex and expensive: you cannot "repair" battery pack, or some major control system, or any sub-system, you replace at whatever the cost.

Its concept of iPhone, with a major difference: there are no aftermarket suppliers or repair shops: you need screen, you get new screen $200, you need battery you get new battery $xxx, and so forth.

Very attractive pricing, but range has never been what they claim- in fact it amazing that nobody ever called the on it, and sued them including EPA and whoever else is approving "type approval" i.e. DOT type of approving declared values/specs/performance.
The P85 big battery cars can only do ~200 on a charge in good conditions, 220 would be quiet a feat/stretch, so nowhere near 300 claimed. Lesser models obviously have shorter range.
Great car for Silicon Valley Commute, but if you are in rural America or pretty much anywhere outside major hubs, its a very challenging ownership- range anxiety.
The following users liked this post:
Robevo RS (Jul 5, 2017)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Volvo says goodbye to pure internal combustion engines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.20ca9696563b
Old Jul 24, 2017, 01:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Tesla is good about repairing original owner's cars, and they have plenty of problems.
However, as car's get out of warranty, and are purchased used, the repairs and maintenance are likely up to the new owner.

Tesla does not "fail" for "small ticket items", the basic architecture is simple, but each individual building block is complex and expensive: you cannot "repair" battery pack, or some major control system, or any sub-system, you replace at whatever the cost.

Its concept of iPhone, with a major difference: there are no aftermarket suppliers or repair shops: you need screen, you get new screen $200, you need battery you get new battery $xxx, and so forth.

Very attractive pricing, but range has never been what they claim- in fact it amazing that nobody ever called the on it, and sued them including EPA and whoever else is approving "type approval" i.e. DOT type of approving declared values/specs/performance.
The P85 big battery cars can only do ~200 on a charge in good conditions, 220 would be quiet a feat/stretch, so nowhere near 300 claimed. Lesser models obviously have shorter range.
Great car for Silicon Valley Commute, but if you are in rural America or pretty much anywhere outside major hubs, its a very challenging ownership- range anxiety.
Just saw this thread while researching ramps to put my evo on.

We have a Model S that we bought in 2013. It's been ... OK. It feels like there's always something wrong with it, and I really hate dealing with the service center guys. I always get the feeling that they will just say whatever to make you go away if you have a concern. As for fixing issues - I'm under the impression that if the issue is super super obvious, they'll probably fix it right away with not too much hassle (a couple of our issues were like this). We have a more major issue with our doors freezing shut in the winter and they seem to not want to investigate the issue very thoroughly - it's why we barely use our car during the winter. You win some, you lose some.

You do lose quite a bit of range if you drive like a jackass or run the heat in the winter. The range estimate can feel pretty optimistic a lot of the time, in my opinion.

I think the current used pricing is still a little inflated, but it's a lot more reasonable than it was. From an enthusiast perspective, it's a little banal now. When we first got it, it was kind of "special" but now everyone, their mother, and their dog has one and it's just another car. Does anyone get excited seeing an average E-class Mercedes these days? It's kind of the same thing.

Friends, neighbors, and acquaintances have asked about my ownership experience and I've consistently told them that despite our frustrations with it and Tesla in general, it's a decent car for commuting, though you should probably have a second car to fall back on (since things seem to go wrong all the time).

Can't speak to performance dropoff or battery degradation, since we have less than 20k miles on our car (all the issues and not being able to drive it in the winter tends to make us take our other cars way more often).

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here with a Model S. Like I said, it's like everyone has one these days (if you live in a major city). Also: I feel like the Tesla community isn't the friendliest or even particularly enthusiastic about cars (just that they have a shiny-special one to show off to everyone).
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Jul 25, 2017)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for the input ^^
Old Jul 24, 2017, 07:07 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
typical lithium ion cell degradation is ~ 80% capacity after 1000 full discharges. So after fully discharging and recharging the cells 1000 times you will lose ~20% of the original capacity. So at 40k miles the battery degradation should be pretty minimal, you probably aren't getting into noticeable territory until closer to 100k. If your daily commute is emptying your model S battery then you should probably re-evaluate your situation, cause your spending way too much time getting to and from work.