Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

GTI, Golf R, Audi S3, MQB

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
I would totally just leave it alone. maybe autox it in stock class, etc. I'm so done messing with cars. thoughts of getting an e92 m3 keep invading...
Old Aug 8, 2017, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
You should get a newer M240i...
Old Aug 8, 2017, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
the newer bmws just don't do anything for me.. I've been lusting for an e92 since '08, and the fact that it's probably going to be the last high performance n/a bmw pretty much solidifies it for me. just a matter of where to put it, and what to replace for it. girlfriend wants the evo gone but that's never gonna happen!! I think, lol
Old Aug 8, 2017, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Damn, I was hoping you'd get one to review before I buy one . Supposedly, it's close feel wise to the old E46 M3.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 02:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Thank you. I had the same feeling about EB, color totally reminds me of my EBIX.

Reason is because where I am in life. Coilovers are meant for a track. I expect they would be awesome there. But for the street, they are full of compromises.

I admit I wanted cool wheels which required lowering the car. But I didn't want to put springs on stock shocks, because it kills them within 6 months and they feel like crap. Revalve them? They get stiff, bounce, and feel like crap. Cheap coilovers feel like crap.

Now the Ohlins were way better. As long as the road is smooth as glass, they were nice. But expansion joints, ruts in the road, etc, FORGET IT. The car moves as one piece and you're airborne if you hit a bump at speed. I abhor that. And when I had my family or anyone for work in my car, they would always comment. Again, if it was a track car, I would totally deal with it and it would be worth it.

Pulling the Volks and Ohlins off to trade it in, on the way to the dealer I hit one of those expansion joints that I have to hit almost everyday. And on the stock suspension, the car took it fine and without drama. You could feel the suspension working independently, because OEM suspensions are tailor made to each model car, and the stock Evo suspension is really, really great for fun back roads, acceptable for commuting, and probably ok for track.

So while the Ohlins were the best, I'll never go back again.
so not trying to talk you into coilovers, but you could always get softer springs and get them revalved for the spring rate. MCS is more spendy but they ride better for a given spring rate than Ohlins (at least on the NC Miata's I've driven with both)

but I hear you. nice thing about the Golf R is it has a nice ride height stock. If I had one, I'd only get coilovers for the handling, prolly try to keep height stock.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure if any car on coilovers will ride as nice as the stock R, which I think has adjustable dampers (GTI does at least).
Old Aug 8, 2017, 04:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I'm not sure if any car on coilovers will ride as nice as the stock R, which I think has adjustable dampers (GTI does at least).
have you ever driven anything on MCS dampers?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

No I haven't. The name seems familiar though; maybe they made the struts on Xidas for a while. The pricing is definitely up here. Maybe I should clarify my answer:

I'm not sure if any car on coilovers that don't cost $2,600+ will ride as nice as the stock R.

MCS doesn't make anything for the R, yet. Unless you meant get new coilovers for his Evo.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 04:23 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Yep, Amby is right all around. Even in "race" (lol) mode, this thing rides like a dream. There's no way I'd pull this adjustable suspension. The one thing I would consider are Vorshlag camber plates. No extra NVH, and I'd love an extra degree of negative camber up front.

It's plenty low stock, and I really like the stock wheels a lot, even though they're a narrow 8".

Edit: Power-wise, downpipe, stock location intercooler upgrade, and a custom tune to be like the wife's GTI if Cobb would release R Accessport support before I grow old.

Last edited by Noize; Aug 8, 2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

So my new name is Arby's.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 04:57 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
So my new name is Arby's.
Dude, getting old sucks so bad. If I could see my phone to un-autocorrect it, I could actually make things work.

Edited for you, sir.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 04:57 PM
EvoM Guru

No I haven't. The name seems familiar though; maybe they made the struts on Xidas for a while. The pricing is definitely up here. Maybe I should clarify my answer:

I'm not sure if any car on coilovers that don't cost $2,600+ will ride as nice as the stock R.

MCS doesn't make anything for the R, yet. Unless you meant get new coilovers for his Evo.
no, MCS is just MCS. I think its AST that made Xidas. MCS dampers are pretty ridiculous in how they can tame a spring rate. definitely the next step up from Ohlins R&T (only Ohlins I've tried). If I were to do it again, I'd go with MCS over the custom valved Ohlins on my Miata.

I wasn't really trying to talk him into coilovers, I know where he's coming from with his decision. Just kinda talking about coilovers in general since the conversation kinda went that way.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Ah gotcha. I would love a set of Xidas for my Miata for the very reason you've stated; the ability to comfortably run a high spring rate.

How are you liking your NC? With NA prices going up quickly, it's close to the point where I could sell my original 1990 and buy an NC.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 06:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Ah gotcha. I would love a set of Xidas for my Miata for the very reason you've stated; the ability to comfortably run a high spring rate.

How are you liking your NC? With NA prices going up quickly, it's close to the point where I could sell my original 1990 and buy an NC.
I replied in my track car thread that'll be bumped to the top now so we don't take this thread more off topic
Old Aug 8, 2017, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Dude, getting old sucks so bad. If I could see my phone to un-autocorrect it, I could actually make things work.

Edited for you, sir.
I actually liked the Arby's mistype.

Quick Reply: GTI, Golf R, Audi S3, MQB