Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

GTI, Golf R, Audi S3, MQB

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 03:29 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
GTI, Golf R, Audi S3, MQB

This had been a long time coming, but I fought it for sentimental reasons for the last two years. I traded in my Evo a couple weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier.

Next year, I'll be halfway-to-ninety! My daily grind is real estate around Nashville, and the Evo was a poor realtor car. We got my wife a GTI this past March, and a funny thing started happening: Everytime I had to go somewhere, I found myself reaching for the keys to her car instead of mine. When given the prospect of dealing with mine or taking a relaxing trip with hers, it was a no-brainer.

Admittedly, at least 50% of that was my modifications. I'll never have a daily driven car with coilovers again. I think even the highest regarded ones make a car just suck. The Evo was paid off, and I heard the suggestion of getting a cheap beater more than once. But I didn't really want to spend more than $10k, and the prospect of driving around a 10k car when I have one that's worth $30k returned to stock and parted out seemed insane. Why drive a piece of crap and leave the good car in the garage? No, it was time for the Evolution to go.

After having and learning about the wife's GTI for a bit from the forums, I knew exactly what I wanted- A Golf R. It turned out this was no small task. VW is doing a mild chassis refresh on all Mk7 Golfs, and the R in particular is scarce. This was compounded by the fact that I have compromised on almost every single one of my prior car purchases: Wrong color, wrong options, etc. This time, I wanted a new 2017 Golf R DSG in Lapiz Blue- no other colors or manual transmission would do.

After much haggling, my local dealership was kind enough to locate one for me outside St. Louis, and bring it back, selling it at $2800 off, which was a total score!

Lets get the bad out of the way first: The handling and precision is a big step down.

But facing obvious facts, I haven't been on track since having kids 11 years ago, and I don't expect that to change over the next decade.

There's lots of good: **Way** more technology and safety, interior quality, a 50% increase in fuel economy, the utility of a hatchback, nice for clients, rockin' factory stereo and navigation, strong acceleration with just an ECU remap.
Attached Thumbnails GTI, Golf R, Audi S3, MQB-img_8199.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Noize:
'Lectric_Blu_IX (Aug 9, 2017), MinusPrevious (Aug 6, 2017), RalliartRsX (Oct 20, 2017)
Old Aug 6, 2017, 04:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Really liking that GolfR

BTW, Im a former VW Owner, so I understand (2 GTI's / Rabbit diesel / VW Baja bug)
The following users liked this post:
Noize (Aug 6, 2017)
Old Aug 6, 2017, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
cool!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
When you talk about the handling/precision, I assume you are comparing it to a stock Evo, right?

Congrats on the purchase. I always told myself that if my Evo were somehow totaled, I'd look into either a BRZ or a Golf R.
Noize (Aug 7, 2017)
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I have the S4 for a daily but sometimes think a golf R would be cool for the hatch convenience.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A simple APR Stage 2 with a re-map and their down pipe you will be in the high 11s.

My problem with VW/Audi and maybe this applies to most brands today is that their diagnostics tools are set to look for ECU tampering. Their techs are trained to do it. If the diagnostic fails the ECU integrity check your claim is denied.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 04:14 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
When you talk about the handling/precision, I assume you are comparing it to a stock Evo, right?

Congrats on the purchase. I always told myself that if my Evo were somehow totaled, I'd look into either a BRZ or a Golf R.
Yes. Even compared to a stock Evo, handling and precision is a big step down.

Originally Posted by SharkyPR
A simple APR Stage 2 with a re-map and their down pipe you will be in the high 11s.

My problem with VW/Audi and maybe this applies to most brands today is that their diagnostics tools are set to look for ECU tampering. Their techs are trained to do it. If the diagnostic fails the ECU integrity check your claim is denied.
Depending on what, of course. If you have a cool service department, they don't have to port scan for 90% of warranty work. Many of these guys are car enthusiasts like we are who aren't looking to TD1 flag you. The chance of mechanical failure on something mild like an ECU tune, DP, and IC is statistically very small.

There are some pretty awesome modded cars the techs own at my local dealership. My advice is to get back there and get to know them.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That works. Start sending free pizza boxes or Jimmy Johns sampler plates to start building a good relationship with them.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Funny, I'm also considering an R to replace my C63. I look forward to your updates so I can live vicariously through you.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 09:34 AM
EvoM Administrator

Thanks Nick!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Congrats!

After a long history with Evos, Mitsubishi left you with no options.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Very nice!

Mk4 GTI 1.8t got me hooked on boost!

z
E
R
E
p
Old Aug 7, 2017, 06:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
you should get some coilovers
Old Aug 7, 2017, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Looks nice. Kind of looks like EB.

In regards to coilovers, were you running Ohlins? Not a fan though? Reasons?
Noize (Aug 8, 2017)
Old Aug 8, 2017, 01:54 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by kpt6
Looks nice. Kind of looks like EB.

In regards to coilovers, were you running Ohlins? Not a fan though? Reasons?

Thank you. I had the same feeling about EB, color totally reminds me of my EBIX.

Reason is because where I am in life. Coilovers are meant for a track. I expect they would be awesome there. But for the street, they are full of compromises.

I admit I wanted cool wheels which required lowering the car. But I didn't want to put springs on stock shocks, because it kills them within 6 months and they feel like crap. Revalve them? They get stiff, bounce, and feel like crap. Cheap coilovers feel like crap.

Now the Ohlins were way better. As long as the road is smooth as glass, they were nice. But expansion joints, ruts in the road, etc, FORGET IT. The car moves as one piece and you're airborne if you hit a bump at speed. I abhor that. And when I had my family or anyone for work in my car, they would always comment. Again, if it was a track car, I would totally deal with it and it would be worth it.

Pulling the Volks and Ohlins off to trade it in, on the way to the dealer I hit one of those expansion joints that I have to hit almost everyday. And on the stock suspension, the car took it fine and without drama. You could feel the suspension working independently, because OEM suspensions are tailor made to each model car, and the stock Evo suspension is really, really great for fun back roads, acceptable for commuting, and probably ok for track.

So while the Ohlins were the best, I'll never go back again.
kpt6 (Aug 9, 2017)

Quick Reply: GTI, Golf R, Audi S3, MQB