Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST - is Ford trying to clear them out?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 Ford Fiesta ST - is Ford trying to clear them out?

What's the going rate on 2017 FiST these days? With the Civics around and a new, possibly, 2018 First around the corner, cheap gas etc....how much much is Ford trying to move these?

I assume the unloved, redheaded stepchild is a base, non-recaro FiST.

Last edited by moparfan; Jun 4, 2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
You can always get pretty good deals on the Fiesta since it's a Ford. Just have to know how to haggle.

I'm on my second Fiesta ST now. Great car.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've just been doing some snooping concerning the Focus ST - turbo with about 250 hp, Recaro seats, no pretend AWD, way better gas mileage than the RS, about 14 grand less than the RS after 5 year no interest with rebates.

Last edited by barneyb; Jun 4, 2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 09:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by barneyb
I've just been doing some snooping concerning the Focus ST - turbo with about 250 hp, Recaro seats, no pretend AWD, way better gas mileage than the RS, about 14 grand less than the RS after 5 year no interest with rebates.
I've never heard of the Focus ST. Thanks for letting us know...
Old Jun 5, 2017, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I've never heard of the Focus ST. Thanks for letting us know...
Well, in that case more Focus information: The Focus comes in 10 different models. The next step down from the Focus RS in price is the - wait for it - Focus Electric.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 08:32 AM
EvoM Guru

I have absolutely no idea the point you are trying to make.

The Focus RS is directly in-line pricing wise to it's nearest competitors:

Focus RS: 36k base
Golf R: 35.5k base
STi: 35.5k base
Evo GSR: 37k base
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
The next generation of Fiesta is about due, so there will undoubtedly be deals on the outgoing model.

I would wait until they release specs for the US spec seventh gen Fiesta ST.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nemsin
The next generation of Fiesta is about due, so there will undoubtedly be deals on the outgoing model.

I would wait until they release specs for the US spec seventh gen Fiesta ST.
When does 2017 end for Ford? I know Chevy just ended 2017 and is ramping up 2018 right now.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

I have absolutely no idea the point you are trying to make.

The Focus RS is directly in-line pricing wise to it's nearest competitors:

Focus RS: 36k base
Golf R: 35.5k base
STi: 35.5k base
Evo GSR: 37k base

The subject was the Fiesta and the Focus is a sister car which I was shopping. The Focus ST is the WRX of the Focus lineup. With a turbo you have the availability of horse power adjustments but 250 seems plenty for a FWD. The cabin is pretty much RS. To me it seems like a sweet daily but has a possible fun upgrade path with the RS buffet of parts. Base price is 24,775.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Old Jun 5, 2017, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Old Jun 5, 2017, 03:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Did you guys just discover the Fiesta ST exists or something?

Moparfan, keep in mind the UK Fiesta ST is quite different than the North American version.

Four door only
Interior is different (totally different dash, steering wheel, door cards)
Weight is different
Exterior lighting is different
Suspension is different
Engine is slightly different
Built in Mexico

UK Fiesta is built in Europe.

Still a great car either way. Love mine for what it is. With a simple tune and E40 it's making 330wtq/220whp. Great steering, great chassis. It's a raw car like the Evo.

My 2016 handles better and rides better than my 2014 did. They did some suspension updates. 2016 also has a MUCH better sync head unit.

Recaros in both Fiestas I've had. Absolutely worth the money. Better than the Evo Recaros. Same Recaros in the Focus ST and RS, just different covers.

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 5, 2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Did you guys just discover the Fiesta ST exists or something?

Moparfan, keep in mind the UK Fiesta ST is quite different than the North American version.

Four door only
Interior is different (totally different dash, steering wheel, door cards)
Weight is different
Exterior lighting is different
Suspension is different
Engine is slightly different
Built in Mexico

UK Fiesta is built in Europe.

Still a great car either way. Love mine for what it is. With a simple tune and E40 it's making 330wtq/220whp. Great steering, great chassis. It's a raw car like the Evo.

My 2016 handles better and rides better than my 2014 did. They did some suspension updates. 2016 also has a MUCH better sync head unit.

Recaros in both Fiestas I've had. Absolutely worth the money. Better than the Evo Recaros. Same Recaros in the Focus ST and RS, just different covers.
I own a 2015 Evo X, what makes you think I'm late to the party?

I've put on 35k miles on the Evo in 19 months. Most of it is just driving around aimlessly which I enjoy a lot in the Evo. But since I live in dense NJ suburbia, I can't really cut loose. I could but at risk to my license. I drove a Miata R for 14 years, switched briefly to a Mazda M2 and they were both fun cars that made it seem like you were going faster than you were. They also moved around a lot at slower speeds. The only time I get the Evo to do something interesting, I'm going way faster than I should. But, as you said, the Evo has that connected feeling.

I'm hoping the Fiesta ST has that same eagerness (faster, faster) but at lower levels of speed. In one sense I learned this lesson when I fully worked on a 85 MR2, with lsd, suspension, tires, etc and had less fun. It was too studly for the burbs.

Oh and even though the Evo has some good reflexes I still think it's fat. Maybe not compared to new cars but still.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

So, since the european/German STs are different than our Mexican STs, we miss out on this?

"The ST200 gets a revised suspension with a rear torsion beam that is 27 percent stiffer. It also has slightly softer springs and dampers and reworked steering. However, because of production constraints at the Cologne, Germany, factory that builds European Fiestas, these chassis settings have been applied to all of the STs manufactured there; it’s basically a free upgrade before a new model arrives next year."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Old Jun 5, 2017, 08:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by moparfan
So, since the european/German STs are different than our Mexican STs, we miss out on this?

"The ST200 gets a revised suspension with a rear torsion beam that is 27 percent stiffer. It also has slightly softer springs and dampers and reworked steering. However, because of production constraints at the Cologne, Germany, factory that builds European Fiestas, these chassis settings have been applied to all of the STs manufactured there; it’s basically a free upgrade before a new model arrives next year."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
That is correct. However the North American 2016's did get a suspension and possibly a rear beam upgrade. Hard to tell if it's the same as the ST200 though.

My 2014 was under sprung and over dampened and it rode kinda crappy on the hwy. My 2016 feels just right and rotates with more control, so it could be the same "upgrade" as the ST200

You should go test drive a Fiesta ST. I did in 2014, thinking the car was just hype. I could tell two blocks into the test drive that it wasn't and it was pretty special for what it is. Here I am 3 years and two Fiesta ST's later.

It's a blast around town and even on track.

Quick Reply: 2017 Ford Fiesta ST - is Ford trying to clear them out?