Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

05 Sti cheaper 500-550hp daily driver than Evo 8/9?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Stock frame turbo's won't make 500whp on pump gas. A T3 kit is needed. You don't need a big 6466 though. A gen2 5558 would do it.

I would go the Evo route. You basically need a turbo kit and supporting mods (for now). Depends on the mileage of the engine and how it was previously maintained. Nothing lasts forever at 500hp anyways.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch out for STI oil leaks:

Old Oct 26, 2017, 02:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
the only thing the STi has going for it over the Evo is the transmission. I couldn't do STi for steering feeling and response alone. Evo has among the best steering and STi has among the worst. but my Miata is better than both
Old Oct 26, 2017, 03:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Also, there are many more costs to replacing the short block than just the cost of a short block assembly. Gasket kit, going through the cylinder heads, fluids, shipping (not cheap to ship engines), etc..
Old Oct 27, 2017, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Yet another reason to have the engine built locally, since you are near CBRD its a no brainer. They can build you a reliable 500hp STI or Evo. Deep down you already know which you prefer, get the one you want.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I just watched the oil soaked STI video and that's another feature of Subarus - the constant smell of burning oil.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:39 AM
.MM
Evolved Member

I've owned an 04 STI, and for the price you posted, at $12,500, you are looking at a high mileage 05.

My STi had 3,000 dollars worth of maintenance done to it, to make it "reliable" as a daily and it was still pissing oil and burning oil and doing weird stuff all the time.

I have owned 5 evo's and currently have an EVO IX SE.

I have dozens of friends who own subarus. multiple dozens and only TWO, out of probably 50 different subarus i know, have NOT had to replace their block. TWO!!! Everyone else had to replace a block or do a rebuild. That's insane. And they were all stage 1 or stage 2, around 300-350whp.

A lot of them have built motors now and are STILL having issues and blowing stuff up. And this is with very reliable tuners.

I will never own another Subaru again, at least not a turbo'ed one.

The subies seem ok with bolt ons if you break it in right and know how to maintain them and have a good tune. I see them at autocross and the track sometimes and when they are running they are fairly competitive with the evos. The evos are always faster though. ALWAYS.

The highlight of the subaru is the 6 speed tranny is super strong. Otherwise, they are junk.

And it wont cost you 1500 to rebuild rear diff or 500 to rebuild transfer case.
Dont bother with transfer case until it's an issue. They don't always pop. If you have a good clutch and don't launch your car and drift your car everywhere, they handle power fairly ok.

I restacked the rear diff on my IX and found it to be very very loud, clunky and also seemed to not enjoy long runs with the car. It would get really hot and feel like it would bind more.

I ended up sending the diff to Shep for a 12 plate rebuild and it's much better and has no issues, ever. Also, nice and quiet and would be better for a daily driver. Not that i daily my evo, but still. I wouldnt want to daily the restacked diff i had.
It didn't cost me 1200 bucks either. It was like 500 dollars to have shep do 12 plate upgrade and HD cover plate.

If i was buying a used evo or sti, at the price you listed, they would be high mileage. I don't trust any high mileage STi or WRX. You don't know how they were broken in and even worse, will probably already have issues you will have to deal with.

I had my power steering pump go (very common) on my 04 STi and the fluid ran down into the timing belt/water pump area, so i had to replace those as well! And it was right after i did the timing belt and water pump already.
Then i had a piece of plastic break off randomly from somewhere and get stuck in the variable valve timing actuator and the car was misfiring and running on 2 cylinders.
This happened twice! How the hell does that even happen?!
The car leaked oil, it burned oil, it smoked from the turbo gasket, it smelled like gas allllll the time. Sucks when you use the car as a daily and get to work smelling like you fell into a pool of gasoline and failure.
The inside of the car always smelled like burning gas and oil.
Spark plugs are annoying to change, since they are basically under the damn motor.
I had to retorque the rear hub axles because they liked to come loose every handful of months.
I use to occasionally have boost creep and boost spike.
I had shaft play in the turbo.

The only thing i enjoyed about the car was the seating position was lower than the evo, which made it feel sporty, the rumble of the exhaust, the big rowdy hood scoop on front and the interior had a certain plush-ness that the evo didnt have. The tranny was also nice and solid and crisp. But, i have zero complaints with my 5 speed EVO tranny...sooo...who cares?

Otherwise, **** that car. Never again.

The evos, knock on wood, all 5 of mine, have been the best cars ive ever owned, reliability wise. The only time ive had issues with evos was minor or due to someone messing something up that i had to fix. Also minor.

But, some subaru owners really love their cars...because ive seen owners replace their motors like 5 times and they still havent sold their car...how? i have no idea.

Just my experiences and 2 cents as a huge car enthusiast, autocross, track racer, forum goer, drag racer, etc.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:02 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by .MM
I restacked the rear diff on my IX and found it to be very very loud, clunky and also seemed to not enjoy long runs with the car. It would get really hot and feel like it would bind more.
That's an anomaly. I've never, ever had a re-stacked diff, nor heard of any others, that did anything like that. Re-stacked, if done right, is still OEM. It's the way the rest of the world got them. There should be no weird stuff going on with it.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
We had a poster this forum who filled the rear diff with I don't remember what gear oil and was having drivability issues he thought - it started acting making noise from binding and releasing. He just wanted to know what was wrong with his car - lol. This with the USDM version of the rear diff - not restacked. Diaqueen fixed the problem. So, the USDM version rear diff can decide to function. Restacked, depending on the lubricant used, maybe much more so.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
That's an anomaly. I've never, ever had a re-stacked diff, nor heard of any others, that did anything like that. Re-stacked, if done right, is still OEM. It's the way the rest of the world got them. There should be no weird stuff going on with it.
The fluid matters. I run the Redline NS (no friction modifiers) and there's some clunking at low speeds, think parking garages and such. Friction modifiers would probably fix it if I cared about noise
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
We had a poster this forum who filled the rear diff with I don't remember what gear oil and was having drivability issues he thought - it started acting making noise from binding and releasing. He just wanted to know what was wrong with his car - lol. This with the USDM version of the rear diff - not restacked. Diaqueen fixed the problem. So, the USDM version rear diff can decide to function. Restacked, depending on the lubricant used, maybe much more so.
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
The fluid matters. I run the Redline NS (no friction modifiers) and there's some clunking at low speeds, think parking garages and such. Friction modifiers would probably fix it if I cared about noise
Ah. Makes sense. We've always used OEM fluids, so I've never heard of any of that. This is good to know in case I ever come across someone who thinks their diff is falling apart. LOL
Old Nov 4, 2017, 02:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by .MM
I've owned an 04 STI, and for the price you posted, at $12,500, you are looking at a high mileage 05.

My STi had 3,000 dollars worth of maintenance done to it, to make it "reliable" as a daily and it was still pissing oil and burning oil and doing weird stuff all the time.

I have owned 5 evo's and currently have an EVO IX SE.

I have dozens of friends who own subarus. multiple dozens and only TWO, out of probably 50 different subarus i know, have NOT had to replace their block. TWO!!! Everyone else had to replace a block or do a rebuild. That's insane. And they were all stage 1 or stage 2, around 300-350whp.

A lot of them have built motors now and are STILL having issues and blowing stuff up. And this is with very reliable tuners.

I will never own another Subaru again, at least not a turbo'ed one.

The subies seem ok with bolt ons if you break it in right and know how to maintain them and have a good tune. I see them at autocross and the track sometimes and when they are running they are fairly competitive with the evos. The evos are always faster though. ALWAYS.

The highlight of the subaru is the 6 speed tranny is super strong. Otherwise, they are junk.

And it wont cost you 1500 to rebuild rear diff or 500 to rebuild transfer case.
Dont bother with transfer case until it's an issue. They don't always pop. If you have a good clutch and don't launch your car and drift your car everywhere, they handle power fairly ok.

I ended up sending the diff to Shep for a 12 plate rebuild and it's much better and has no issues, ever. Also, nice and quiet and would be better for a daily driver. Not that i daily my evo, but still. I wouldnt want to daily the restacked diff i had.
It didn't cost me 1200 bucks either. It was like 500 dollars to have shep do 12 plate upgrade and HD cover plate.

If i was buying a used evo or sti, at the price you listed, they would be high mileage. I don't trust any high mileage STi or WRX. You don't know how they were broken in and even worse, will probably already have issues you will have to deal with.

I had my power steering pump go (very common) on my 04 STi and the fluid ran down into the timing belt/water pump area, so i had to replace those as well! And it was right after i did the timing belt and water pump already.
Then i had a piece of plastic break off randomly from somewhere and get stuck in the variable valve timing actuator and the car was misfiring and running on 2 cylinders.
This happened twice! How the hell does that even happen?!
The car leaked oil, it burned oil, it smoked from the turbo gasket, it smelled like gas allllll the time. Sucks when you use the car as a daily and get to work smelling like you fell into a pool of gasoline and failure.
The inside of the car always smelled like burning gas and oil.
Spark plugs are annoying to change, since they are basically under the damn motor.
I had to retorque the rear hub axles because they liked to come loose every handful of months.
I use to occasionally have boost creep and boost spike.
I had shaft play in the turbo.

The only thing i enjoyed about the car was the seating position was lower than the evo, which made it feel sporty, the rumble of the exhaust, the big rowdy hood scoop on front and the interior had a certain plush-ness that the evo didnt have. The tranny was also nice and solid and crisp. But, i have zero complaints with my 5 speed EVO tranny...sooo...who cares?

Otherwise, **** that car. Never again.

The evos, knock on wood, all 5 of mine, have been the best cars ive ever owned, reliability wise. The only time ive had issues with evos was minor or due to someone messing something up that i had to fix. Also minor.

But, some subaru owners really love their cars...because ive seen owners replace their motors like 5 times and they still havent sold their car...how? i have no idea.

Just my experiences and 2 cents as a huge car enthusiast, autocross, track racer, forum goer, drag racer, etc.
There is always Binary Engineering lowering seat bracket for EVO
Old Nov 30, 2017, 03:50 PM

If your looking around 500hp then definitely Evo, if your just trying to have a reliable daily driver thats under 400whp id go with the Subaru