Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo without a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Evo without a turbo?

What is an Evo like without its turbo?
If I were to get an Evo, the country I am in wont allow turbos, so that means I might need to get an Evo without a turbo. But i want to know what its like without a turbo before I confirm wether its worth it or not.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What evo?

The 4g63 has non of the necessary bits to make it an interesting NA engine, I don't think there has ever been a good NA spec. I am not sure the Mivec on the later models is predisposed to making good na power. I don't really know much about the X and the 4b11.

I am crying in my evo when I am running wastegate boost pressure(7psi). I am sure you could sharpen it up with compression and cams but generally I think this is a bad idea.

I used to have a mirage with a 160hp 4g63 swap. 0-100kph = 10 seconds flat. This was with a 1.6 transmission so I was ringing it out in 3rd to get to 100 lol. The car was nearly 300kg lighter than an evo. I was convinced I was going to make that car the fastest NA 4g63 ever but I quickly found myself very alone. I am still yet to hear of anyone building a notable NA 4g63 nearly 2 decades later but I did stop looking.

I am sure you *could* do something, but making power on NA is usually quite unrewarding for your $. I am just looking at my mates 3.0 v6 toyota mark x. Direct injection(15km/l while cruising), 0-100 near 6 second, probably faster than a non turbo evo could ever dream to be without getting silly, which will give even a turbo evo a run for it's money and you don't have to fiddle. Granted they are boring cars to drive and are exclusively autos but that car will trounce a non turbo evo all day long while being dirt cheap.

Just imo you are better off starting elsewhere. You would really have to love evos to consider what you are doing. Sincerely, get a lancer and rice it. Probably the best option if you want an "evo", and oh it will be an "evo" without the turbo but you will only be fiddling with cosmetics while having a fundamentally reliable car.

As an aside, what is with countries and these rules? Australia won't allow you to swap big displacement engines into cars, so what? No v8 allowed in my s15 so I will just go with an 800hp sr20det? Oh yeah that has safe written all over it, mission accomplished. On that note since you have the reverse problem you should get something with an LS
Old Dec 1, 2017, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Almost pointless...although it still would look good.

I believe English Racing built one for some Rally thing a while ago (I can't remember specifics). What I remember is the car made like 220 whp +/- or something like that, and it was fairly heavily modified to do that.

Edit: I can't find the dyno thread or whatever thread the car I'm thinking of was from. Maybe I dreamt it....who knows.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
What would happen if you took a 4g63t, removed the turbo and added much higher compression pistons instead? Like Manleys STM spec 11.5 :1 . Then ported the cylinder head, added the lightest billet rotating assembly possible, found MBT perfectly throughout the timing map with the perfect NA AFR for a 4 cylinder engine? Would it hit at least 250hp?

OP, I would move away from any country that decided to make turbos illegal.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I don't understand that law. Seems like if a vehicle came with a turbo from the factory then that should be acceptable but I dont make the rules.

Personally if that's the case as much as I hate to say it, an evo is probably not a great candidate for a vehicle. That is unless you weren't opposed to swapping in an LS.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Your location is showing Qatar, there are turbo cars in Qatar... are all of those illegal? or are you in some other country now?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I had the wastegate arm pop off my old TSi AWD and had to drive around with no boost.

Yeah, no. Good luck having any fun in a 3400 pound, all wheel drive sedan being powered by a non turbo 2.0L 4 cylinder. Regardless how fast it can turn, the acceleration is brutal. I was lucky that even with the wastegate blown open it would still start to build some boost past like 5500RPM so it would get some power from there to 8000. But it was probably the most painful drive home I ever had in that car.

I think it would be easier and more rewarding making the Evo quiet so it doesn't sound turbo, hell maybe do a sneaky rear mounted turbo setup or something so it looks n/a when you open the hood, than it would be to make a non turbo Evo, anything less than painful to drive.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
What would happen if you took a 4g63t, removed the turbo and added much higher compression pistons instead? Like Manleys STM spec 11.5 :1 . Then ported the cylinder head, added the lightest billet rotating assembly possible, found MBT perfectly throughout the timing map with the perfect NA AFR for a 4 cylinder engine? Would it hit at least 250hp?

OP, I would move away from any country that decided to make turbos illegal.
Depends on fuel, but an NA motor would get custom cams, 14:1 pistons, 94mm stroker (custom to save weight), custom rods and pistons to save weight. Should make 250whp. Not sure it would be worth it though lol. Would be pretty costly.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Dec 1, 2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
"The ES model (or just the base Talon before 1993) sported a naturally aspirated 2.0 L 135 hp Mitsubishi 4G63 engine." - Wikipedia
Old Dec 3, 2017, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would guess if you had deep pockets and used a mivec head, and were lucky, you may end up with something simllar to a BEAMS 3sge power band. Thats the only engine I can think off the top of my head that is a non turbo version of a turbo engine.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
could you invent a plug and play turbo???
Old Dec 4, 2017, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
"The ES model (or just the base Talon before 1993) sported a naturally aspirated 2.0 L 135 hp Mitsubishi 4G63 engine." - Wikipedia

I had one of those too. As my first car, first of 6 DSMs so far. It was really slow. Needless to say it stayed N/A until the first winter I had it, when I turbocharged it with all the stock 1G turbo bits.

The n/a 4G63 had a different intake cam, no oil squirters and higher compression pistons (9:1 VS 7.8:1) otherwise it was all the same internally.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by six40
I had one of those too. As my first car, first of 6 DSMs so far.
You obviously like DSMs. I only owned one, and I didn't know it when I bought it new, but it was a 6/4 combo - a sweet little car.

I remember two guys, writing to the long gone Talon Digest, saying they had a NA DSM they wanted to sell and they figured it would sell better if turbo so they converted it. A buyer appeared wanting it for his daughter but wasn't sure he wanted her driving a turbo car. So, they switched it back for him. When I'm pulling a transmission or something and I'm thinking its a lot of work I remember them for inspiration.